It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #16
(female)

Jillzz HB User
Unhappy Re: Big toe fusion failed. Now bone graft offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrcilla View Post
Hey Sally, what's going on? Been hoping to have an update from you. Two weeks later, just getting better from the headcold from hell! Went to the surgeon during that time and am walking with the boot until Mar 26th. Can't come soon enough. Getting achy from all the crooked walking. Can't say which foot hurts worse now, my left toes are tired of bearing all the weight. Well, shoot me an update when you can, hope all is going well. Thinking of you! Cindy
Sorry Cindy, I did reply so don't know what happened there!! I haven't heard anything so will ring them next week and ask for update. Unfortunately our NHS run themselves without any thought to patients comfort!
My foot is increasingly sore where the loose screw sticks out so I will be very happy to get it sorted.
You will be SO happy to get out of boot. Makes lower back really play up, doesn't it? Takes ages to recover your posture afterwards, doesn't it?
Lisa is now 6 weeks post-op and sees her consultant Tuesday and hopes to do couple of hours work a day from middle of next week. She works from home, so can wander into her office, do a bit, then rest. Ideal, has worked from home for three years as many firms here find it cheaper and better to pay for employees to have Internet/phones and desks installed at home. Her office is 60 miles away and she and couple of others go up once every two weeks.
Sorry about lost reply...I'm not a rude person normally!
Love Sally

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User
Re: Big toe fusion failed. Now bone graft offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzz View Post
Over last two years I have had both big toes fused because of serious arthritis but one has failed. A screw head appeared, sticking out of the joint in a lump! Seems booths screws need to be removed but the joint is unstable and I now need a bone graft and two differently placed screws.
Has anyone else had this done? Is it successful and how long does recovery take? I was 12 weeks in a boot that kept my toe from touching the ground last time and it really made my spine extremely painful with the arthritis. I am dreading this. Can anyone give me any idea of recovery please?
Bone grafting, if performed in the right way and the usage of the right material can be advantageous. You must also make sure for home care instructions.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
(female)

Jillzz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn7035 View Post
Bone grafting, if performed in the right way and the usage of the right material can be advantageous. You must also make sure for home care instructions.
Thank you for your reply.. Home care is the problem when you live alone and have two small dogs! I always seem to be struggling to move around and maybe this is why the first op didn't work as well as it should have done?
As I have osteoporosis I will most likely have a donor graft.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
(female)

Jillzz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn7035 View Post
Thank you for your reply.. Home care is the problem when you live alone and have two small dogs! I always seem to be struggling to move around and maybe this is why the first op didn't work as well as it should have done?
As I have osteoporosis I will most likely have a donor graft.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #20
(female)

Purrcilla HB User

Hey Sally, been meaning to get back to you, but a busy week. I have no appts next week and am looking forward to some down time. Week after that I have surgeon appt and the next day (I expect to be driving), I will finally get my hair done. I need color and cut something awful. Today neighbor gals are bringing wine & chick-flicks for an afternoon gab session. All the visitor's I've had have really saved my sanity.
Truth be told, I've been carefully walking a little without the boot, although not bending my toe. I wish I could send my helper gals to wait on you after your surgery, they have been a God send. I, too, sometimes think my joint failed because I ran around the yard with 2 young and active dogs. Not this time! We just adopted a 3rd (oh yes) dog, a 2.5 year old yellow lab. I was very much against a third dog, but she is just wonderful. Quiet, calm, and very well behaved. Amazing.
Actually has already had a good effect on our other 2. Bailey is everything you hope for when you take on a dog.
Do you have your surgery date yet? Have you researched some affordable home help? With dogs, it's almost a must for the first 2 weeks anyway. We have 2 feral cats that spend alot of time on our covered front porch, and have come to expect 3-4 meals a day. One has turned from being very wild to a lap cat who knocks on the front window when he needs attention! So, I was concerned that he'd miss me when I couldn't get out to spend any time with him. But, my husband really stepped up and now the cat sits on him and he enjoys 2 'peeps'. We're so easy!!
Well, no house help on Fridays, so I need to wash a dog bed (throw up), and get showered and ready for my gal pals. Wish you could join us!
Keeping you in thought, look forward to when we are both discussing our perfect
outcomes.
Cindy

Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #21
(female)

Jillzz HB User

Quote:
Thanks for your support and good thoughts. Interesting info on the crutches, I will look into that. Not very crazy about struggling with regular crutches for that period of time.
9 more days of limping (at least on 2 feet!).
Take care, will be following your decisions as well.
Hello Cindy. How are you getting on now? Back to 100% ???
I at last have date for bone graft 19th July. Took SO long. But at least I have had time to help Lisa overcome both hips replaced. She is getting on really really well. Playing golf again over 9 holes but finds 18 too exhausting. They are having a break in Gran Canaria now for couple of weeks so she will be stronger and relaxed as she has found work very exhausting.
I am feeling rather apprehensive after seeing my doctor yesterday. She said its a big operation and recovery will take a long time. Just when I thought I had come to terms with it! She tells me they are harvesting bone from top of tibia so will be bit different to yours? You had hip harvest,didn't you?
How is the new lab? Getting on ok with other dogs??
Please let me know how you are doing and if its all been worth it?
Best wishes Sally

Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #22
(female)

Purrcilla HB User

Hi Sally,

So glad to hear from you, and so sorry that you are facing such an ordeal. Who would ever think toes could be such an issue? I am recovering well, my bone graft is healing well, although not entirely done. I will be using a bone stimulator beginning Wed the 12th, and then see the surgeon again end of July. I am pretty comfortable walking, except days when swelling is bad. The numbness and cramps (from not using that foot correctly) bug me.

Glad to hear your daughter is past the worst. My older sister had hip replacement recently in Florida and recovered so well. She is golfing already. I guess you are up next in the recovery arena! Although no one will say that this is an easy road, I think you have to accept that this will be the only way to get relief and face the process with that in mind. Having been thru this before, you certainly know the drill. My bone came actually from my pelvis (although they say 'hip'). That site was no sweat after the first couple of weeks, when I wasn't moving much anyway. To answer your question, I would choose to do this again, but had no choice if I wanted to walk without pain. All in all the recovery wasn't bad AFTER I could drive again!

Take care, keep your chin up and prepare as best you can. My e-reader was a Godsend while I sat and sat and sat. I actually sold my recliner and replaced it with a pretty upright chair and footstool. I was so sick of that chair!

Keep a good thought and you will be in mine! Do keep me posted.

Best Wishes, Cindy

Last edited by Administrator; 06-11-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
(female)

Purrcilla HB User

Quote:
Hi Sally,

So glad to hear from you, and so sorry that you are facing such an ordeal. Who would ever think toes could be such an issue? I am recovering well, my bone graft is healing well, although not entirely done. I will be using a bone stimulator beginning Wed the 12th, and then see the surgeon again end of July. I am pretty comfortable walking, except days when swelling is bad. The numbness and cramps (from not using that foot correctly) bug me.

Glad to hear your daughter is past the worst. My older sister had hip replacement recently in Florida and recovered so well. She is golfing already. I guess you are up next in the recovery arena! Although no one will say that this is an easy road, I think you have to accept that this will be the only way to get relief and face the process with that in mind. Having been thru this before, you certainly know the drill. My bone came actually from my pelvis (although they say 'hip'). That site was no sweat after the first couple of weeks, when I wasn't moving much anyway. To answer your question, I would choose to do this again, but had no choice if I wanted to walk without pain. All in all the recovery wasn't bad AFTER I could drive again!

Take care, keep your chin up and prepare as best you can. My e-reader was a Godsend while I sat and sat and sat. I actually sold my recliner and replaced it with a pretty upright chair and footstool. I was so sick of that chair!

Keep a good thought and you will be in mine! Do keep me posted.

Best Wishes, Cindy
Wishing you a successful surgery on Wednesday, the beginning of the end of this annoying road! You'll do great and it will be behind you before you know it. We're on vacation until Thursday, but will look for an update whenever you are back online. You'll be in my thoughts on Wednesday. Take care and stay in touch! Cindy

Reply Reply