It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

TILLY19 HB UserTILLY19 HB User
should I go to therapy today? just got cleared to start for ankle help

I'm just over 5 weeks post op from Brostrom. They repaired the ATFL and peroneal tendon. Things were going great. The doc said to ween myself off crutches and I can go to the brace. He also told me to do some motion exercises, which I didn't really do too much last night. I wanted to wait until therapy. Last night I was able to walk with out crutches. I only walked between rooms and my house for a few minutes with out pain. This morning really bad pain woke me up and Ihad to ice and take some ibuprofen. When I got to work I had a few more bad pains that made me cry. Should I wait a few more days to start therapy or should I go tonight? Maybe they can do ultrasound or something?? I'm not sure what they do, but I'm afraid to even have them touch it now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User
Re: should I go to therapy today? just got cleared to start for ankle help

Hi Tilly
I think I may have responded to one of your other posts at some stage.
I am now 12 wks post Brostrom, PTT release, OCD and meniscoid lesion removal, synovectomy, bone spur removal and bone impingement cut off through incision for Brostrom. phew!
I was out of a cast at 3.5wks and told to progressively weight bear as tolerated and come off crutches over 1 to 2 wks.
I went to 1 crutch after 2 days and stayed with one crutch for another 5 days (and progressively used it less and less).
Remember, you haven't been weight bearing for a while, so if you do too much too soon, your ankle WILL hurt.
I decided to do 12 hrs of Christmas cooking after 9wks post op - little miss confident here could not walk for almost 24 hrs afterwards - I paid the price pain wise. Even now, if I do too much (too much standing or walking) my ankle lets me know.
It swells a lot still.
I have my 3mth post op apt with my OS this Thursday - haven't seen him since 10 days post op.
I have been going to physio (or PT as you call it) since week 4 post op - just gentle massage that first session and then back a week later and twice weekly for 6 weeks.
Have just gone to weekly now - have been given progressive exercises to do with my ankle. Am allowed on the bike at gym.
Start therapy if you can - yes, it may hurt more for 24 to 48 hrs after each session, but you will be so glad you went - you will definitely progress quicker.
Oh! I still have to elevate and ice as needed!!
Good luck

Last edited by angelee43; 12-28-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply