It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
(male)

Ashamro71 HB User
Broken Heel bone ( Calcaneus Fracture ?

Hello everyone .
This is my last resort trying to find a qualified surgeon that can reconstruct a broken heel bone only due to a high energy car accident resulted in breaking the heel bone (calcaneus ) . The first time The surgeon looked at it after few days of having it in a cast by the E.R doctor when I was transported to the hospital, Said that it's a very bad fracture that requires to be operated on and have a plate with multiple screws put in there and the chance of infection would be 20-30% because the blood flow to the foot in general is poor after an open wound .Then he went on to tell me that because I had a history of smoking tobacco products, it complicate things and If the wound doesn't heel in a healthy way they would try to do skin grafting and if that too doesn't stop the infection and worse comes to worse the doctor would think about Amputation of the foot . He actually said that to me and that scared me more than anything when I thought of what he said . Now I'm walking on my broken foot after 3 months and out of the cast by the Orthopedic's request.And the heel bone fracture healed except for slight deformity since it wasn't put together by a plate and screws . Right now my Orthopedic doctor is trying to take CT scan to see what she can do to reduce the pain that a small bone fragment didn't align as it should when the fiberglass cast was on .Any suggestions would be appreciate it very much . Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply