It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
(male)

jumper16 HB User
ankle recovery

hi, i very sprained my ankle very badly back in september. I'm not sure which grade of a sprain it was as i only recieved an x-ray to confirm it wasnt broken. but considering it is still painfull almost 4 months on i'm assuming it was a grade 3 sprain in which i tore the ligaments on the outside of my left ankle.
however, i am recovering and doing a little bit of jogging with the help of a strap. however, when i job the pain is concentrated on the inside of my ankle and around my achilles and not on the outside of the ankle where the injury occured.
Is there a reason for this? I am booked in to have a MRI on my ankle in a few weeks to determine whether surgery is needed.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User
Re: ankle recovery

HI there,
I am just making guesses based on what I had done in October. It could have something to do with the posterior tibial tendon or an OCD (osteochondral lesion) on the talus or even an impingement (I had a large posterior process at the back which had to be cut off and he did this when he cut me open to do the modified brostrom-gould repair - the surgeon thought it may have been an OS Trigonum) or a bone spur.
Also, sometimes, it's referred pain.
If you can get to see a foot/ankle OS, do so - they will know exactly what to look for. My foot/ankle OS saw way more on the MRI than the person who wrote the report because he knew exactly what he was looking for. Good luck with the MRI!!

Last edited by angelee43; 01-11-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: add

The following user gives a hug of support to angelee43:
music47 (01-11-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper16 View Post
hi, i very sprained my ankle very badly back in september. I'm not sure which grade of a sprain it was as i only recieved an x-ray to confirm it wasnt broken. but considering it is still painfull almost 4 months on i'm assuming it was a grade 3 sprain in which i tore the ligaments on the outside of my left ankle.
however, i am recovering and doing a little bit of jogging with the help of a strap. however, when i job the pain is concentrated on the inside of my ankle and around my achilles and not on the outside of the ankle where the injury occured.
Is there a reason for this? I am booked in to have a MRI on my ankle in a few weeks to determine whether surgery is needed.
Let us know how your MRI goes - I am curious to see what they find.
Good luck with it

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

NBama HB User

Go see a foot/ankle doc ASAP. I completely destroyed my the cartilage in my ankle joint because I mistakenly assumed I had strained my achilles and nothing else during a trail running incident. I did strain my achilles, but I also apparently broke some bone fragments off and severly damaged my cartilage. After almost 2 years of walking on it, I have ground away the cartilage in my joint. Now I am scheduled for an allograft. The doctor is going to cut my damaged region out and replace it with a cadaver bone/cartilage. The pain gradually got worse over time. I did not realize the damage I had done until it was too late. Best of luck.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

Well, letís wait and watch for your MRI results. Ankle sprain is most commonly caused when you have stretched or have torn the ligaments in your ankle. If the foot has been doing any vigorous shifting movements then this might be one of the causes of the sprain. Is there any symptom of bruising or tenderness in and around the ankle? Anyways, just keep updated with your reports. I also do wish for your quick recovery.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
(female)

AnnaBee75 HB User

I've had the similar problem and it took almost a year to be completely painless. But, do see your doctor.

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle, ligament, recover, sprain