It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

Aprilfound HB User
Little advice? I think I posted in the wrong section before

I am in need of some advice!

Backstory:

3 years ago I had a nasty fall, where I dislocated my knee, and ended up with a "high ankle sprain" I went to the Orthopedic who recomended a lateral release and meniscus clean up on my knee -did the surgery.

NOW, (I hate to sound like I am talking bad about the Dr.) he told me its "just a high ankle sprain you will be fine" Right? all he did was put an ace wrap on it and send me on my way. I went back about 3 weeks later for a post op check on the knee.. Mentioned my ankle to him AGAIN. He gives me a stirrup splint and says its fine?

I really feel as if he would not listen to me. He never did X-rays on the ankle, and barely even acknowleged any conversation about it. even when my hubby asked. Dr was just concerned about my knee.

Fast forward 3 years

Found out that the lateral release of my knee failed. SO still have knee pain, but nothing I cant handle. BUT on the other hand, I have resprained my ankle at least 8 times in the last 3 years... 4 or 5 of which made it so I could no walk. I never went back to that ortho after he released me from knee surgery.

I finally broke down and went and say a podiatrist who says that I have "chronic akle instability" Found out that My insurance will NOt pay for PT unless I have a reconstruction. So he sends me to an ortho at the office who did my knee. i dont want to go back to that clinic. I dont feel like they listened to me at all last time around.

I have made an appointment with anothe ortho who has good reviews so far here in town, I have to wait till the 28 of feb..

Ok so here is my question.

I bought a wobble board like DR. said, and have been trying an at home PT program. My right ankle is doing well, but my left (the one that I hurt in the fall) is not I wobble when I try and stand on my left ankle (you know the one leg stance) and when I try and go up on my toes my ankle will either roll in or out. I fall everytime. I have been in horrible pain since the last sprain, around sept. and rolled my ankle again about the begining of Jan. I have been wearing either a lace up brace, or a stirrup since then because I feel like my ankle is just not dependable.

IMO I think that conservative treatment has failed and just want this to be overwith. I want to go back to running, softball and tennis... should I Push the new ortho for surgery since My insurance will not pay for PT unless I have a reconstruction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Little advice? I think I posted in the wrong section before

I am so sorry to hear about your story!
First, a lot of us have to deal with a very unstable ankle and a lot of us post over in the foot board section. You may get a lot more responses if you post your story there.
I understand the fustration of your knee and ankle! I had a lateral release done in my knee and from an x-ray stand point it looks like it fixed my problem, but from a functional stand point, it definitely made it worse. Though, it's something that I have learned to live with.
I first injured my ankle in 2002 and did a lot of rehab. After almost 9 months of braces and boots and PT, I had enough and I had a Brostrom reconstruction. That's basically where they just fix the ligaments that were damaged. PT was hard, but I was able to go back and do everything I wanted. I do NOT reget getting my ankle fixed! Unfortunately April of 2012 I rolled my ankle and felt the dreaded pop. I saw a new ortho (I really recommend seeing a board certified foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon, very important) who was just a general ortho and he had me in PT and a brace. I continued to have pain and instability. He ordered an MRI almost reluctantly saying they wouldn't find anything. Results came back with a possible ATFL tear and a tear in my brevis tendon. He had me see another ortho in the office who strictly deals with feet and ankles. He had me do more PT, boot, and after 7 months said we could do surgery or not do surgery. It was my call. I work on my feet all day every day, so I need to have a stable ankle. So I scheduled surgery in December. The MRI wasn't all that reliable. I really messed up my CFL (MRI said it was fine) I had an impingement of my ATFL, and I didn't have a tear in my tendons, but they were severly scared.
I am not almost 9 weeks post op, and I can already feel a difference in my ankle. It is so tight and stable. I am now in PT working to get back to a "new" normal.
I think there comes a point where conservative treatment fails and you have to look at surgery. At the same time, I feel like you have to be at the absolute worst, because once surgery is done, you can't un-do it. (Like you know based on your knee). I have seen many people pass through these boards where ankle reconstruction works. But you really have to be dedicated to rehab after.
The new ortho may want you to try additional consertavtive treatment first, but if you let him know what you have already done, he may already bring up surgery.
Good luck! And if you have any more questions, please ask away!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Reply Reply