It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

Hod HB User
Big toe problem

About three years ago, a small pimple appeared above the bone on the right hand side of my left big toe. It was mildly inflamed, red tipped, often sensitive to touch, and over the succeeding weeks occasionally became more pronounced and painful. One day, I decided that it must be some type of boil and that it needed 'lancing', so I nipped the top off (hardly more than a millimetre) with a pair of nail clippers. There was no blood or pus. The small wound formed a scab; and ever since then a recurring pattern has occurred.

For a day or two I will forget about it, then I will inadvertently knock the area, or simply rub it repeatedly, or even just apply undue pressure (heavy bedclothes, for example) and then it will swell up and become extremely painful. I used to squeeze the swelling, and a gel like substance (transparent, thick) would come out. This relieved the pain, then a fresh scab would form, there would be a day or two of respite, and then I would knock or rub the area again and the swelling/gel formation would restart.

This has been going of for almost three years now. The size of the 'area' is about 1 cm diameter. I now no longer squeeze this area when it is swollen, but often, during a shower, the scab will soften and the gel seeps out naturally - especially if I flex my toe at the joint.

I wonder if this is some sort of nerve ending that is being irritated and protects itself by forming a natural gel cushion? If it is, it seems odd it should be so much more painful when the gel is formed than beforehand. I thought it would go away eventually but it doesn't seem to be and I wonder if there is anything I can do to sort it out or if I should see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Big toe problem

Probably some sort of cyst that needs to have the sac removed or a boil that needs an antibiotic. I'd see a doctor - maybe a podiatrist or dermatologist.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
(male)

Hod HB User

Thanks. It feels more like a nerve, it's so painful sometimes ... but I'll take your advice and ask an expert.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

I too agree with Titchou, there is probability that it may be cyst. As in case of cysts the fluid gets collected and forms a lump and causes to pain.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

DebbieDoll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hod View Post
About three years ago, a small pimple appeared above the bone on the right hand side of my left big toe. It was mildly inflamed, red tipped, often sensitive to touch, and over the succeeding weeks occasionally became more pronounced and painful. One day, I decided that it must be some type of boil and that it needed 'lancing', so I nipped the top off (hardly more than a millimetre) with a pair of nail clippers. There was no blood or pus. The small wound formed a scab; and ever since then a recurring pattern has occurred.

For a day or two I will forget about it, then I will inadvertently knock the area, or simply rub it repeatedly, or even just apply undue pressure (heavy bedclothes, for example) and then it will swell up and become extremely painful. I used to squeeze the swelling, and a gel like substance (transparent, thick) would come out. This relieved the pain, then a fresh scab would form, there would be a day or two of respite, and then I would knock or rub the area again and the swelling/gel formation would restart.

This has been going of for almost three years now. The size of the 'area' is about 1 cm diameter. I now no longer squeeze this area when it is swollen, but often, during a shower, the scab will soften and the gel seeps out naturally - especially if I flex my toe at the joint.

I wonder if this is some sort of nerve ending that is being irritated and protects itself by forming a natural gel cushion? If it is, it seems odd it should be so much more painful when the gel is formed than beforehand. I thought it would go away eventually but it doesn't seem to be and I wonder if there is anything I can do to sort it out or if I should see a doctor.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
(female)

DebbieDoll HB User

I have the same problem. What to do about it?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

See a podiatrist...

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

DebbieDoll HB User

Should it be X-rayed, does it have to be surgically removed?

Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

X rayed - probably not. Surgically removed - maybe just a local deadening and excision but "surgical" would remain to be seen.

Reply Reply