It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Anyone wear a heel lift?

My Chiro ordered me a heel lift, I started wearing it 3 weeks ago. I workout 5-6 days a week. I wear this lift when I workout and to work and whenever I am on my feet a lot. Since I started wearing it I have had MAJOR leg/shin/foot cramps in the evening. Mainly on the same leg as I wear the lift. And a constant buzzing type sensation in that lower leg. I have tried everything for relief and prevention including muscle relaxers. Blood work came back fine on vitamin deficiencies. My diet is fine. I stretch them good, twice a day.

I'm thinking it's the heel lift and I'm thinking it's never going to go away!
I don't know what to do...if I stop wearing the heel lift I may end up with another lower back injury -- aggravating the discs and it becoming inflammed. My pelvis is tilted and I have mild scoliosis. I wear an 8mm lift on my left foot, inside the shoe. I have a few different ones, all 8 mm for three different pairs of shoes. At home I don't wear it. I never noticed a leg shorter than the other before the x rays. I never even knew my pelvis was tilted or that I had scoliosis. I have modified my workouts since but am still having so much leg cramping in the evenings. Even hylands leg cramps isn't working every night. And Xanax! Doc gave me that to relax me for the cramps and I also clench my teeth a lot at night.. but the Xanax isn't helping with the leg spasms/cramping

Last edited by Mandolyn; 03-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Anyone wear a heel lift?

I'm just wondering if you have seen an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation, or someone other than the chiropractor concerning the heel lifts, etc? I usually post on the back problems board, but just happened to notice your post. I have had three back surgeries (lumbar) and work with a guy I call my "rearranger," for lack of a better description of what he does.

I am wondering if you truly need the lift or if you are having problems with structural alignment that is pulling your pelvis into rotation, which causes you to carry one hip higher than the other....this is a not unusual problem among people who have back issues. It can also cause the scoliosis, if this is something that you have developed somewhat recently.

Usually having a tilted pelvis is a result of improper alignment that causes some ligaments to shorten and others to lengthen. It is not a condition that you can't do something about....(usually... )

I just throw out this possibility as another option for you to think about -- your back problems may be causing the titled or rotated pelvis...and consequently, the foot problems. When I first went in for my sciatic pain, the first thing my surgeon did was look at my feet and evaluate the way I stand...it is all so inter-connected.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

My chiro measures my feet when I lay on my belly before he cracks my back. That's all. He says I need the lift. Today my left hip has hurt. I workout with the lift on and I have never had this kind of pain...I can't afford a surgeon. My insurance is horrible and I already have bills coming from other things going on with me. But a full x ray of my legs would be nice.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

As I said...it was just a thought. He can always measure your legs to be sure.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Well, that is what I'm thinking... I am wondering if he is doing the right thing.. and diagnosing me right. I want to believe him and do what he says but this heel lift is causing me more pain. So I'm just confused. It's got to be the lift.
I will remind him Monday and I may stop wearing it (when I workout I will wear it...maybe)

Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ShoreBette HB UserShoreBette HB User

Here comes debbie downer....Been through this "heel lift" issue .. and believe it is a chiros lame attempt to keep you happy....or its a strategy to keep you coming back....i have been messed up by using them...and if your instinct says not to wear it then don't... unless a ortho dr sees prove on xray that you have a bone length issue...they are very hesitant to treat you as you do, just because you say you feel lopsided...what i learned is that a heel lift alone is not the answer if you have a true discrepancy...google info on having the entire sole built up if you believe or it is confirmed...i had a dr say many patients have to experiment with this issue..since some drs are hesitant thinking it could mess things up even more...it is a very difficult issue to deal with medically....

Reply Reply