It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
(male)

InjuryProne HB User
Calcaneus Fracture Recovery

I recently fractured my right calcaneus, no surgery was needed and I have been in a cast for 4 weeks and have another 5 weeks to go. I am to get a moon boot after my cast. I have no idea what to expect, how long I will have it on for and if I will be able to walk as normal on it. Would anyone with previous experience be able to give me an insight?
Thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
(female)

reddaisygirl HB User
Re: Calcaneus Fracture Recovery

Hi Injury Prone,

I also broke my calcaneus on my right foot. I broke mine in December. I wasn't given anything when I went to the ER after I broke it. A week later I went to a Bone & Joint place and was put in a "moon boot" type brace. I was NWB (non-weight baring) for 5-6 weeks. After that I was able to start putting some weight on my foot while still using crutches and then lost the crutches, and now only have a small don-joy brace to help stabalize my ankle. I am still having a lot of pain with my injury. I just had an MRI last week and found got the results today. I was told that nothing else was broke or torn, but that I have some degenerative type issues with my achilles tendon and significant swelling around my ankle tendons. My doctor told me that the heel is the worst bone that you can break and it can take upwards of 6-8 months for total recovery. I wish I had better news for you, but it seems like you are in the same boat as me....the waiting game! Good luck to you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
(female)

jess032 HB User

I have just suffered this injury and wonder if you could tell me about the early weeks of your injury. Thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
(male)

InjuryProne HB User

I was in a cast for 9 weeks with no weight bearing. After 3 weeks i got my cast changed and an x-ray to see how the healing process was going. My fracture healed perfectly and after i got my cast off i was on one crutch for 3 weeks. I have now been out of cast for 4 and a half weeks, i still have pain in my foot and ankle but i am doing exercises and going to the physio and after another 5 weeks i should hopefully be able to return to football. I hope that has given you an insight into what to expect. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
(male)

ghn999 HB User

Hey reddaisygirl.
I also broke my right calcaneus heel in a car accident in Las Vegas. I was also none weight bearing for 2 and a half month. Now I am walking with a limp every where and it my right ankle is still hurting. I guess I will have to wait a couple of more month before it heel. Hopefully it heals right!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
(male)

DrekNYC HB User

Hello,
Broke calcaneus Dec 14,2012. Surgery Dec. 27,2012. Broke bone in 2 places.
I had a problem with wound healing. I am perfectly healthy, except I smoke about a half pack a day. DO NOT SMOKE IF YOU BREAK CALCANEUS!!! It can mess up circulation.
The problem with healing was mainly because I am rather slender (5'11 , 145lbs) and the plate was pushing up skin. It was only not healing right under ankle and was about 1.5cm long and .3cm wide.
My surgeon tried a wound vac for a month. I started physical with the small wound. finally, on may 14th my doc took out hardware & debridement (clean wound/restitch). He did some swabs and I guess there was some staph and bacteria from my cats, so they put me on I.V. antibiotics for 6weeks.
FINALLY, it is scabbing over. I can restart physical. Calcaneus breaks are tough.
I am a NYC high school teacher. Been out of work for 7 months. My principal is trying to take my certification away...I haven't even been out except for trip to doctor.
My doc said I can put full WB back again, but I am nervous because the screws were removed.
Has anyone had screws/plate removed? How long before you were WB?

Good luck everyone!

Reply Reply

Tags
calcaneus fracture