It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
(male)

ankleissues HB User
Recovery time for arthoscopic ankle surgery?

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked many times before, I'm having trouble finding answers online and my doctor is very hard to get a hold of.

I'm scheduled to have ankle surgery, arthoscopic, on April 10. I have a two week vacation planned that starts May 20. Do I need to push back the vacation?

The person helping me schedule the surgery (not my doctor) dismissed my concerns and said I'd be fine, but I'm concerned. The surgery is apparently going to be arthoscopic, but the doctor said he might need to "open it up a little" depending on what he finds. The purpose of the surgery is to shave down a bone spur and remove scar tissue from an old sprained ankle that wasn't properly healed in the first instance.

Should I preemptively reschedule my vacation, or wait and see?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
(female)

changedforever6 HB User
Re: Recovery time for arthoscopic ankle surgery?

My doctor told me I'd be on crutches for 1 week with arthoscopic ankle surgery. When he got into the surgery he found more problems, that was two months ago. I am STILL on crutches! It sucks. I'd push it back, even if you can walk by then, vacations tend to involve lots of walking. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleissues View Post
Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked many times before, I'm having trouble finding answers online and my doctor is very hard to get a hold of.

I'm scheduled to have ankle surgery, arthoscopic, on April 10. I have a two week vacation planned that starts May 20. Do I need to push back the vacation?

The person helping me schedule the surgery (not my doctor) dismissed my concerns and said I'd be fine, but I'm concerned. The surgery is apparently going to be arthoscopic, but the doctor said he might need to "open it up a little" depending on what he finds. The purpose of the surgery is to shave down a bone spur and remove scar tissue from an old sprained ankle that wasn't properly healed in the first instance.

Should I preemptively reschedule my vacation, or wait and see?

Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to changedforever6 For This Useful Post:
ankleissues (04-09-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
(male)

ankleissues HB User
Re: Recovery time for arthoscopic ankle surgery?

I heard one week too! Mind if I ask what additional things happened during the surgery that made the recovery so long? Sorry to hear it too!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
(female)

changedforever6 HB User
Unhappy Re: Recovery time for arthoscopic ankle surgery?

He thought it was an impingement and it turned out to be osteochondral lesion on the medial talus. Long words. A little piece of the bone on my talus died and finally broke off. It was pinching and tearing up the cartilage. He cleaned up by debridment and removed the lose bone. Then where the bone broke off he did some micro-drilling to try and get fibrocartilage to grow, to replace the cartilage. I went today and was told I can slowly leave the boot cast over the next 3-4 days, but replaced with an ankle brace...and of course continue PT to strengthen the ankle. Its been a long process and still not over. Gosh I want to scream sometimes. I walked around the house with the brace for a few minutes today. It is very weak and painful. Back to the boot casts for a while now. I wished I could find someone who was a few months ahead of me in the process so I could see the light at the end of the tunnel
The doc that did my surgery is an ortho who specializes in feet and ankle issues. Is that what you are seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleissues View Post
I heard one week too! Mind if I ask what additional things happened during the surgery that made the recovery so long? Sorry to hear it too!

Reply Reply