It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

writer1795 HB User
Unhappy Lingering ankle sprain

I sprained my ankle on March 22nd, iced it and figured it was fine. It continued to hurt so I went to the ER a week later, who wrapped it and told me it'd be fine in a few days. (X-ray showed no break).

It began feeling better, but about two weeks after that, it started to pain again and it has been sore ever since, especially when I do a lot of walking. It appears to be a little swollen after I'm on it for a while.

I am having bunion surgery on the same foot next month, so I'm hoping it'll be better by then....

Anyway, it still hurts, and my family keeps telling me to rest it, which I had done initially after the sprain. Should I go back to the ER (or my orthopedic surgeon?) and obtain crutches, or just leave it and see if it improves after rest??

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User
Re: Lingering ankle sprain

I'd go either go back to the ER or call your Ortho and ask for an MRI. Last July (2012) I fell going up some steps. Although the whole underside of my foot was deep purple and I could put no weight on my swollen foot, the ER doctor, using all of his newly residential status sent me for an x-ray. He came back all smiles, putting his hand on my foot; no he said, it's not broken. He asked the nurse to give me the big duck-like shoe; So she chatted with the other little nurse while they put the shoe on; she told me I didn't need to ride out in a wheelchair....."I might as well get used to walking on it...... since it wasn't broken".

My only daughter's wedding is ten days later. I did what every other mother would do, went to the wedding - barefoot, took an extra pain pill and stayed as long as I could.

On my second day back, my Internist scheduled an appointment for an MRI and a referral with an Orthopedic surgeon. The bad news....I had a LisFranc fracture in my right foot, and now 7 fusions, 3 plates, 8 screws and 4 nails later added to 12 weeks NWB, I've finally finished PT and have a foot probably as good as it will be. No doubt that extra time walking or attempting to walk on a LisFranc or crush injury did more damage, caused more pain and probably hindered my recovery.

Trust your body. Don't stock your pantry with advice from an ER. Good luck!

Last edited by 3red3red; 04-19-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle pain, not healing, sprain