It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
(male)

chrisjs HB User
Question Adult leg & foot deformities: femoral anteversion, metatarsus adductus

Hello, everyone. My wife is 35 years old and has multiple issues with her legs and feet. She's had these problems since childhood but never received proper medical care for them. She still to this day has never sought professional help for her issues as she's severely doctor-avoidant (an unfortunate by-product of her childhood neglect).

From examining her myself and doing internet research, I believe she may suffer from significant femoral anteversion and metatarsus adductus with some mild internal tibial torsion. Basically, she's knock-kneed with very high-arched pigeon-toed feet with toes that curve inward and overlap one another. Her knees naturally point inward, as do her feet, causing her a great deal of hip pain when she walks. She also has foot pain because the way her feet are angled, all the pressure is on the outside of her feet (excessive supination). She's developed severe "tailor's bunions" on the outer edges of her feet because of this. Her overlapping toes are painful as well.

From all the reading I've done, it seems femoral anteversion and metatarsus adductus usually resolve themselves naturally as a child ages. This was obviously not the case with her and the older she gets, the more pain these problems are causing her. What are her options for dealing with these conditions? I've seen surgery suggested for older children but what about a 35-year-old adult? Her legs and feet are completely misaligned and lots of abnormal stresses are occurring whenever she walks to compensate for this. Her leg muscle development is likely an indication of this as well. Short of surgery, what else can be done? If her feet were balanced somehow with orthotic inserts, could that help everything else align more properly? As I mentioned, her arches are very high and when she walks with her knees pointed inward, the outside of her feet take all the stress. The misalignment greatly affects her hips as well. What about her inward curling toes? Because of their odd shape, it's very difficult to find shoes that fit her comfortably.

I just want to know if she'll be stuck suffering with this for the rest of her life or if there's something that can be done. I'll follow up with more info, if needed. Thanks!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-11-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
(female)

Bonnee HB User
Re: Adult leg & foot deformities: femoral anteversion, metatarsus adductus

Hi Chris, you are obviously very concerned about your wife, she is lucky to have you. I'm sorry to hear about her problems. My only background to metatarsus adductus (MTA) is through extensive reading on the topic now that surgery has been planned for our 6 year old daughter.
We were wondering how the condition presents in adulthood if untreated as we are very reluctant to operate on our currently asymptomatic, happy and active child. According to most orthopaedic texts, it is possible to treat adults with MTA, and associated conditions via surgery, but it is complex. She is only 35 and should consider all the options. She does need to see a good orthopaedic surgeon or a podiatric surgeon for advice. Please do your best to convince her to go. Good luck and best wishes

Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
(female)

alltwisted HB User

Did you/she find a solution?
Her story sounds lot like mine.
I'm 37. I was teased as a child for having severe intoeing/knock knees but every doctor I saw said that I would grow out of it and it was not that bad. All I needed to do was to stretch/build muscle. I ended up practicing how to stand and walk to avoid the stares and teasing. But it made my pain worse. Still more doctors told me that I attention seeking. So I stopped complaining about the pain.
At 14 I started getting stress fractures (mostly left ankle) which more or less when untreated because the only answer was if it hurts don't do it. For years I keep getting stress fractures, sprains, muscle tears etc and was told to stop doing the activities and to stretch. I have eventually ran out of activities. And I get hurt just walking.
I have had tendonitis for decades. But despite seeking help I was blown off. I eventually stopped asking for help because it was too time consuming to fight.
All that I knew was that I had slightly low bone density which was assumed to be caused by birth control.

By last summer I could barely walk. I was limping around on my toes. I had/have plantar fasciitis. I went t a foot doctor who helped me with my pain but told me that it would never really go away unless I fixed my legs. My intoeing stopped be from being able to use night splints and such because I could not hold my feet straight long enough.

I had to call around to over 30 doctors to find one that would actually be interested in helping me fix my complicated problem. I found most doctors just what to focus on fixing broken and not fixing abnormalities. Or when your problems cross over to more than joint then they avoid. I was surprised because I am close to Boston

I am finally working with someone now who is assembling a team to help me. A CATScan has shown that I have hip retroversion (both sides) as well as introversion in both my knees. I have a tibial twist and metatarsus adduction (both sides). So one problem makes the others worse and almost hides the problems from someone who is not looking closely. I guess this is why many doctors told me my problem is not bad was because I am not close to textbook.

They also found that I have phase 3 OCD of the left talus (0.7 cm lesion) and uneven wear on both my knees. This is a symptom to my problems not my real problem.

I am going to need multiple surgeries which will take a year or so to complete and recover. The doctors are still evaluating and planning.

I'm interested in what your wife's outcome is. I feel like I am going to a Frankenstein's monster cut up and reassembled. I just hope I'm not going be humpty dumpty.

Any advice?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
(male)

chrisjs HB User

Hi, alltwisted. I sent you a private message. Please check your inbox. Thanks!

Reply Reply