It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

Osteoporosis at age 44/How to treat overall health and wellness?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #1
40Plus
(female)

40Plus HB User
Osteoporosis at age 44/How to treat overall health and wellness?

I am 44 years old and have just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis... Not Osteopenia. A little over a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. I currently have radiating pain in my left leg behind the thigh, that I believe is sciatica. It is starting to extend to my lower calf. During the day, the pain is becoming more noticeable. At night, it is just down right intolerable. It keeps me up, and/or wakes me up in the middle of the night. I also have had pain in my left arm for one entire calendar year that started at the elbow, but now goes into my shoulder. I originally thought this was likely tennis elbow and would heal with time. When the shoulder started to give me fits, I thought torn rotator cuff. Now that I see my bone density is revealing significant Osteoporosis in the femoral neck and moderate Osteopenia in L1-L4, I'm thinking these things are connected and not separate issues.

My big question is how to treat from this point? I'm not big on meds, and kind of think meds are to blame for the rapid progression of the disease here. It's quite suspicious that the Osteoporosis coincides with the Sjogren's diagnosis and use of Plaquinil to treat. (My bone density was fine/normal before I started Plaquinil.) I get it that I need to arrest the Osteoporosis and will likely only be able to do that with meds. However... I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has these break down issues at age 44 or less... And if so... What are you doing to remedy the situation? I'm coming to the realization that I need to make choices about what "I can and can't live with" and will likely have to do things that will leave me darned if I do and darned if I don't. I would just like to make an informed decision and would really value input from anyone else who might have these issues in this age range... Just seems a bit on the young side and will not lend itself well to traditional Rx therapy. Thanks sincerely!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
luca689
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Osteoporosis at age 44/How to treat overall health and wellness?

I was diagnosed with the Osteoporosis at around the same age. I also have autoimmune issues. I was prescribed Boniva I think it was and was on that along with calcium supplements as prescribed by my Dr. I was prescribed these for maybe 8 years ish. I was able to stop taking them 2 years ago as my dexa scan at that time showed enough improvement to safely do so. I started my plaquenil after I was diagnosed with osteo. So I can say that, for me, the meds made a positive difference.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Osteoporosis at age 44/How to treat overall health and wellness?

Very important question - are you on hormones - birth control or HRT? If not, I strongly recommend it if you can tolerate it. I brought my scan from -1.6 to -1.0 in 4 years due to HRT. I went thru an osteoporosis clinic at the behest of my rheumatologist. At the end, the osteo guru said she had nothing but good things to say about me and concluded that my improvement was due to HRT and to stay on it as long as my doctors would allow. I'm 71 this month,am jogging, working out, and just improving every day. I'm a believer.

Reply Reply