It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

Suggestions for new OP diagnosis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User
Suggestions for new OP diagnosis

My mom has osteoporosis and I just got my DEXA bone scan I am a -2.5 and in two years I have lost up to 5.9% bone loss. I am 51 years old and I'm good shape. I have been taking calcium and doing lots of impact exercises over the previous two years in the hopes that things will stay the same or not getting much worse . I'm going to do a 24 hour urine catch and then I'm going to meet with my doctor this month. At first I was really upset and crying but now I am reading different things and maybe I do not need to take medications? Any suggestions are helpful hints I would really appreciate it !

Last edited by JDcamper; 08-03-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Gretagirl
(female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User
Re: Suggestions for new OP diagnosis

I am so sorry, that must be really upsetting to be doing everything right and still lose so much density. Have you or your mom have a history of your bones fracturing?
I understand all your concerns about these medications especially at such a younger age but the best I can offer is research all the different medications and than you and your doctor must weigh your risks and ask for alternatives. Worse then the medication is the fracture.
I may be helpful to get a second opinion before making your decision. I went to a endocrinologist and a rheumatologist to talk it through before deciding what to do.
Best of luck.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretagirl View Post
I am so sorry, that must be really upsetting to be doing everything right and still lose so much density. Have you or your mom have a history of your bones fracturing?
I understand all your concerns about these medications especially at such a younger age but the best I can offer is research all the different medications and than you and your doctor must weigh your risks and ask for alternatives. Worse then the medication is the fracture.
I may be helpful to get a second opinion before making your decision. I went to a endocrinologist and a rheumatologist to talk it through before deciding what to do.
Best of luck.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User

Thank you! I've been trying to do research which is how I found this forum. My Dr wants to start with adding some estrogen as I went through menopause very early.. i'm not opposed to that at all, however I don't want to waste another two years on just that and have more bone loss. And I've also been reading a lot of research showing that every woman has bone loss most people are just not getting down scans done ...any ideas on that? Thanks for responding!!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Gretagirl
(female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User

My doctor started DEXA scan early during my late 40's every two years as I was going through Menopause. My scan had starting me as having osteopenia so I didn't start any additional medicine added but had two spontaneous back fractures just months later.
I think it is reasonable to expect your bone density to start to decline as your estrogen does but your's seem to be at an accelerated pace. It would seem logical to try to add estrogen but then you do have to wait the two years for your next scan to see if it has helped. There is still the results from your 24hour urine test that my give you a piece of information to help with your decision. I would suggest you get a copies of everything and get second opinions. History may the good indicator if you have experienced any fractures in the past.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User

I have not had any fractures...my mom did 10 years ago at 68 in her back.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

After having several stress fractures in my foot,my ortho,who felt they were due to other issues in my foot but wanted to be safe not sorry, sent me to my rheumy for an assessment. After running me thru the Osteoporosis clinic at UAB Medical Center, the determination was that I am fine and they don't need to see me again. I'm 71 and had several DEXA scans for them to compare. I started out at -1.9 in both hips and now am at -1.0 in one and -1.4 in the other. I'm 5'2" and white, top of the list for potential. The head of the clinic stated that it was her firm opinion that HRT is the reason for the increase and that I should stay on it as long as my gyno will let me. My sister is 5'5",70 years old, has been on HRT for 35 years since her hysterectomy and her score is -1.0.
I also work out with weights twice a week,used to jog 10 miles a week till the foot issues got worse but still walk it or use the elliptical. I'm a firm believer as a result in HRT.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User

Wow! That's awesome to hear! Good for you!! I am going to seriously consider the HRT...I'm already on Progesterone but she mentioned adding some estrogen. That would be amazing if that did it! Thanks for taking the time to write I appreciate it!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm just saying my experience and that of my sister. I'll also say that both grandmothers had osteo but our mother did not- she was also on HRT! The old premarin. So at least in our family, the women respond well to it.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User

I feel like it's worth a try! Thanks!!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #11
JDcamper
(female)

JDcamper HB User

Can you please tell me what type of hormone therapy replacement you did you?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

I am currently on Activella and was previously on FemHrt. We changed due to a change in insurance coverage.

Reply Reply

Tags
osteoporosis