It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

T Score Value

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
TigerFan16
(female)

TigerFan16 HB User
T Score Value

I recently had a bone density test. My spine score is AP SPINE L1-L4. BMD 0.88 g/cm2. T-score = -2.6. Z-score = -1.2. LOWEST BMD is Right femoral neck BMD = 0.75 g/cm2 T-score = -2.1. Z-score = -0.8. Can someone explain this to me and let me know if they are normal?

Last edited by TigerFan16; 09-13-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Gretagirl
(female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User
Re: T Score Value

Your bone density test results are reported in two numbers: T-score and Z-score.

T-score

Your T-score is your bone density compared with what is normally expected in a healthy young adult of your sex. Your T-score is the number of units — called standard deviations — that your bone density is above or below the average.

T-score What your score means
-1 and above
Your bone density is considered normal.

Between -1 and -2.5
Your score is a sign of osteopenia, a condition in which bone density is below normal and may lead to osteoporosis.

-2.5 and below
Your bone density indicates you likely have osteoporosis.

Z-score

Your Z-score is the number of standard deviations above or below what's normally expected for someone of your age, sex, weight, and ethnic or racial origin. If your Z-score is significantly higher or lower than the average, it may suggest that something other than aging is causing abnormal bone loss. If your doctor can identify the underlying problem, that condition can often be treated and the bone loss slowed or stopped.

According to the Mayo Clinic site it is more accurate to measure you hip and spine but more costly.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
TigerFan16
(female)

TigerFan16 HB User

Thank you for responding, but I'm still confused with my T score being -2.6 I'm assuming I do not have osteoporosis, right?

Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Gretagirl
(female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan16 View Post
Thank you for responding, but I'm still confused with my T score being -2.6 I'm assuming I do not have osteoporosis, right?
Dear TigerFan,

I understand it is confusing. You should check with your doctor, they should inform you so you would know for sure and know your treatment options.

The World Health Organization (WHO) uses a T-score of 2.5 to define osteoporosis. A T-score between -1 and -2.5 indicates some bone loss (osteopenia) and a risk of osteoporosis. Every standard deviation below normal doubles the risk for fracture:
-1 standard deviation equals 2 times the risk of fracture
-2 standard deviation equals 4 times the risk of fracture
-3 standard deviation equals 8 times the risk of fracture

Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
TigerFan16
(female)

TigerFan16 HB User

Thank you!

Old 09-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

-2.6 is barely osteoporosis as this is the number at which it begins. -1.1 to-2.5 is considered osteopenia. 0- -1.0 is normal. Weight bearing exercise can help increase density. Also, if you are so inclined and are menopausal, HRT can really help. Mine went from-1.6 to -1.0.

Reply Reply