It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 AM   #1

oceanluvn HB User
How long before Fosamax symptoms go away?

I have only taken Fosamax for about 6 weeks now (the weekly dose) and started experiencing EXTREME muscle soreness almost right away! I had no idea why at first, I just thought it may be from the osteoporosis or just the wonderful aging process.....but now......after reading all the posts from others taking Fosamax, I realize it is a fairly common symptom! I am stopping this drug right away now that I know.
My question is.......how long after stopping the weekly dose of Fosamax can I hope that this soreness will go away??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
I have been taking it for 5 weeks and I have the same problem as you - major soreness! I'm going to keep taking it though....maybe with time it will go away...hopefully someone who's been taking it longer than we have can fill us in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #3

nvmom HB User
i found instant relief when i stopped taking fosamax. now i'm exercising and taking supplements, rather than fosamax. time will tell!

Old 11-07-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvn
I have only taken Fosamax for about 6 weeks now (the weekly dose) and started experiencing EXTREME muscle soreness almost right away! I had no idea why at first, I just thought it may be from the osteoporosis or just the wonderful aging process.....but now......after reading all the posts from others taking Fosamax, I realize it is a fairly common symptom! I am stopping this drug right away now that I know.
My question is.......how long after stopping the weekly dose of Fosamax can I hope that this soreness will go away??

Scary, isn't it - this drug business? You take something that you've been told will heal an ailment only to end up with more ailments in its wake! We can't ingest these toxic sybstances without creating some kind of an imbalance in our operating system.

Peregrine

Last edited by peregrine; 11-07-2003 at 02:29 AM.

Old 11-07-2003, 05:33 AM   #5

oceanluvn HB User
Peregrine....question for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
Scary, isn't it - this drug business? You take something that you've been told will heal an ailment only to end up with more ailments in its wake! We can't ingest these toxic sybstances without creating some kind of an imbalance in our operating system.

Peregrine
You mentioned in another thread that you take a liquid calcium. Do you mind telling what kind it is and where it can be found?
I have been off the Fosamax for less than a week now, but still have SO much muscle pain.....but I know it stays with you for at least a week after taking it.....so I am hoping it will improve soon.
I feel like I aged 20 years since I started that awful drug! I want to try to control this without drugs. I am more and more convinced that most problems we experience as we age (I"m 53) are due to side effects from the drugs the doctors are pushing.

Old 11-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Hi Ocean,

The brand I take is made by Innovative Natural and is highly absorbable. It contains cal/mag/vitamin D/soy Ipriflavone and Zinc. You can get it at larger type health food stores, such as Whole Foods, or possibly on-line if you do not have access to HFS. You could do a search on google.

Peregrine

Old 11-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
My muscle pain is very gradually decreasing - maybe after a while it will go away completely. I am going to stay on the Fosamax - I just hope it's working!

Old 11-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #8

tsbjax HB User
Has anyone experienced a rash while taking Fosamax. I've only been taking it a couple months and have developed an itchy/ burning rash on my chest and back.

I am only 34. My dr. prescribed fosamax after I acquired a stress fracture in my hip from running. I had a bone density test done, and it came back a little low. The doc planned to try me on the fosamax just for a year to see if that helped. From what I have been reading though, I think I may stop and just make sure I'm getting all my calcium. The side effects aren't worth it right now (I've also had muscle/bone pain and burning in my throat), especially if I can get my bone density back to a normal level on my own.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Tara

Old 11-13-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
I've never had a rash from it, Tara, but it would be a good idea to see your doctor - could be related! How much below normal was your bone density?

Old 11-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #10

tsbjax HB User
Hi Kaitrin,

I have done a little research and it seems that rashes can be a side effect. My score was -1.2. I had one doctor tell me that I would be ok if I just made sure I was eating properly, getting enough calcium, and doing weight bearing exercise and strenth training, which I do religiously. Then, another dr. wanted to try me on Fosamax.

I don't know...after the side effects, I'm not sure I want to take it. Any ideas? If I stop taking it, how long before it's out of my system.

Also, I'm 34 w/ no kids. I can't say for sure that I'll never have them, and it is my understanding that there are no studies indicating what effect the drug could have on pregnancy.

It's so hard to know what to do. The sad thing is, I'm not enamored with either of my doctors (it's an HMO world).

Any thoughts are definitely welcomed!

Take care,
Tara

Old 11-14-2003, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
I sympathize - I'm 26 and I might have kids later too, so the idea that the Fosamax could have some effect on pregnancy is scary! I am taking it anyway because I have osteoporosis already, but if my T-scores were like yours I might not take it either.
It remains in your bones for up to 10 years but if you haven't been taking it long probably not too much is stored in there so far.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:36 AM   #12

tsbjax HB User
Re: How long before Fosamax symptoms go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
Hi Ocean,

The brand I take is made by Innovative Natural and is highly absorbable. It contains cal/mag/vitamin D/soy Ipriflavone and Zinc. You can get it at larger type health food stores, such as Whole Foods, or possibly on-line if you do not have access to HFS. You could do a search on google.

Peregrine
Hi Peregrine!

I have been reading your posts about the liquid calcium that you take. I just started taking it, but am a little confused by the dosage. It says that it only contains 250mg calcium, and to take 1 to 2 tbs per day. But that would only be 500mg for 2 tbs. I would like to get at least 1200mg. Is it a different dosage because of the makeup/concentration? How much should I take?

I have recently gone off Fosamax after being on it for 2.5 months. I experienced a lot of the same side effects that are mentioned, and decided that since I'm fairly young (34) and my t-score wasn't TOO terrible (1.2), that I would go off fosamax and get my density up on my own. We'll see! I already feel so much better, it's unbelievable.

Enough for now. Any info you have on the IN Liquid Calcium would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Tara

Old 11-26-2003, 04:54 AM   #13
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbjax
Hi Peregrine!

I have been reading your posts about the liquid calcium that you take. I just started taking it, but am a little confused by the dosage. It says that it only contains 250mg calcium, and to take 1 to 2 tbs per day. But that would only be 500mg for 2 tbs. I would like to get at least 1200mg. Is it a different dosage because of the makeup/concentration? How much should I take?

I have recently gone off Fosamax after being on it for 2.5 months. I experienced a lot of the same side effects that are mentioned, and decided that since I'm fairly young (34) and my t-score wasn't TOO terrible (1.2), that I would go off fosamax and get my density up on my own. We'll see! I already feel so much better, it's unbelievable.

Enough for now. Any info you have on the IN Liquid Calcium would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Tara
Hi Tara,

Yes, the IN dosage chart is different because of the concentration and that, unlike most calcium products, almost all of it is being absorbed. If you look at the left hand side of the ingredient chart you will see that the ingredients are from 1200 mg. of calcium. Considering your age and your low T-score, you probably only need to take 1 Tbl. a day. If you go to 1 Tbl. I would take it in the evening. I would also take 1 vit. K a day and extra magnesium. I know there is controversy on this board about magnesium, but my research indicates that calcium works best when taken in combination with a little higher dose of magnesium than usually recommended. I find that I feel better with extra magnesium and I take it in the form of an excellent product called Natural Calm, which is a powder. The good thing about a powder is that you can easily adjust the dosage to your body's needs. By following the directions, you start out with a very small dose and gradually increase until you get loose bowels. That tells you that your previous days dose is all your body needs "at that point". If you wait a day and then go back to that dose the loose bowels will clear up immediately. Weight-bearing exercise is also imperative.

I am surprised, but I guess not really, that they put you on Fosamax with such a low T-score and at 35 years of age. I wish you well with your new regime. Please let me know how it goes.

Peregrine

Old 11-28-2003, 06:27 AM   #14

adjca HB User

I have been taking Fosamax for a year now and have had no problems until about 2 months ago when I experienced joint pain on the day following taking my weekly pill. This has now passed and I've had no joint pain for the last 2 weeks. I had heard one of my friends say that she was nauseous when taking hers and she gave it up but I was unaware others were having much problem with this drug.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:03 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Since I'm in trouble with osteoporosis in my spine and hip, Im scared to go off of actonel because I don't want to experience a fracture in these major areas, so I will keep taking my weekly dose. Are these not symptoms that will go away with time?

Closed Thread