It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 07:27 AM   #1

dee54 HB User
To those taking Forteo injections

If you are currently on Forteo, have you had prior fractures in the past?

The reason I decided not to take Forteo is because I have never had a fracture. My T-score was 3.1. If I change my mind a year from now, I can then decide to try Forteo. I would just like to see more research done on this drug. The reason a lot of doctors don't prescribe it is probably because they aren't aware of it (according to what I have been reading, there is a ban on advertising for this drug) and because of the black box warning.

I'm sure my doctor considers me "high risk" for fractures as I had an early hysterectomy and that's why he wants to put me on Forteo, but since I haven't already had a fracture, I think I will wait to hear more about the benefits of this drug vs. the risks.

Old 10-14-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: To those taking Forteo injections

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee54
If you are currently on Forteo, have you had prior fractures in the past?

The reason I decided not to take Forteo is because I have never had a fracture. My T-score was 3.1. If I change my mind a year from now, I can then decide to try Forteo. I would just like to see more research done on this drug. The reason a lot of doctors don't prescribe it is probably because they aren't aware of it (according to what I have been reading, there is a ban on advertising for this drug) and because of the black box warning.

I'm sure my doctor considers me "high risk" for fractures as I had an early hysterectomy and that's why he wants to put me on Forteo, but since I haven't already had a fracture, I think I will wait to hear more about the benefits of this drug vs. the risks.
Good for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
(female)

lulu227 HB User

Hi dee54,

Yes, I am taking fortero injections since october of 2004. I was diagnosed with osteopinia in 2000, and was given malcalcin spray, it did not help. since
then I've had at least three fractures in my spine, with lots of rib and back pain and my bones felt weak. The doctor said I should feel a difference in about 3 months and I do. My rib pain is just about gone, and my back pain is much better. For the first 3 weeks, when I did take the injection I did get a head ache, but it was gone in 5 minutes. The heads aches have stopped, and I am feeling much stronger and can be on my feet longer and take 30 minute walks. Oh! the injections are for only 2 years and I for myself am very,very greateful. I was
very afraid of fracturing more bones and getting a curved spine. My poor mother had osteoporosis with a very curved spine and she suffered terribly. So
maybe you should try it. I think it's a miracle.
Hope I helped.
lulu

Old 01-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
(female)

Oldbones HB User
Arrow Re: To those taking Forteo injections

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu227
Yes, I am taking fortero injections since october of 2004. Oh! the injections are for only 2 years and I for myself am very,very greateful. I was very afraid of fracturing more bones and getting a curved spine. My poor mother had osteoporosis with a very curved spine and she suffered terribly. So maybe you should try it. I think it's a miracle.
Hope I helped.
lulu

lulu....
I have been on Forteo for about 10 months now. I had a fractured hip and two fractured feet within a 3 month period one year ago. I couldn't take Actonel or Fosamax because of peptic ulcers. I tried but my stomach couldn't tolerate it. I found out about Forteo and studied the drug thoroughly. I'm happy to say that I've had no more fractures. The bones in my hips were so thin you could see it on a regular x-ray. I didn't need a DEXA scan although my rheumatologist did suggest that I have one to get a baseline reading. I too have had rib pain and still do occasionally. I notice it at times for a couple of weeks then it goes away. I have fibromyalgia so I sometimes wonder if the tenderness in my rib area is caused by the fibro. If I had only known that my bones were in such terrible shape, I would have started Forteo before the fractures. Hip fractures are no fun at all. It's been a year and my hip still hurts. My mother has a terrible curved spine and has suffered with back pain for as long as I remember. She recently fell and fractured her hip and had hip replacement surgery at 90 yrs. old. She's walking some now with her walker and gradually improving.

Good luck to all of you.

Oldbones

Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
(female)

Gini55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
Good for you!
I am curious as to whether there have been any noted mood swings when taking Fortero? Or any kind of side effect?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

Gini55 HB User

Am wondering if there are any noted side effects by taking Fortero, including mood swings?

Closed Thread