It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

Chelle2 HB User
Question Actonel

Hi, I would like to know what anyone thinks about Actonel. I have been on it for nearly two yrs.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Actonel

Hi,
Has your bone density improved in the last 2 years? If it's helping you and you can tolerate it, take it until you don't need it anymore. How do you tolerate the side effects? Does it bother your stomach? I took Fosamax for 3 weeks and had to stop taking it due to stomach problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 AM   #3
(female)

Chelle2 HB User

I do not get any side effects. I will be going for a bone density scan to see if taking Actonel helped. I am only 45 and hope that I don't have to take it very long just because I hate taking medication. When my gynecologist prescribed Actonel, he said he wanted me to take it instead of Fasomax because of Fasomax's side effects...but they're virtually the same drug, right ? What did you take or do when you discovered you couldn't tolerate the Fosamax ?

Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I quickly realized that I couldn't tolerate Fosamax or anything similar I asked to be put on Forteo after I did some research about it. My doctor agreed since my problem is so severe. I don't have any side effects from it that I know of. Your lucky that you could take the Actonel it didn't bother your stomach.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

olivep HB User

Hi Chelle....I have had osteoporosis for many years, firstly being on HRT and calcium and then after a breast cancer scare (negative) went off the HRT and on to calcitrol. Tests for next few years were quite good and density not too bad. Havent had one for a coupole of years (shifting house) then ten weeks ago had a T12 compressed fracture. Dr. prescribed Actonel. I had my first dose in the morning and that night was rushed to hospital with a heavy bowel haemorrhage. In hospital for that week until a colonoscopy the following week. Have had diverticula disease for many years too but never ever had any bleeding. Just cant believe it was a coincidence. Doctors all wont commit themselves one way or another about the cause, but I will never take another Actonel tablet. Dont know where I can go from here. But be careful and aware. Hope you never have any bad effects and that it works for you. Cheers

Old 03-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

I have osteopenia in my hip only, so my doctor prescribed Actonel. I went home and did some research, and found that some less common side effects of Actonel are heart disease and skin cancer, so I decided not to take it.
I'm trying calcium, magnesuim, zinc supplements and exercise instead.

The doc called me to see if I filled the prescription (isn't that odd that he took the time to call me?). I told him I wasn't going to take it, so he wasn't very happy. I told him since only 50% of women who get osteoporosis will have a bone break I would take my chances. He said "oh my, you have really done your homework!" I had the feeling he was more concerned about pushing the drug on me, than worrying about me getting osteoporosis.

I did read that it might be better to stop Actonel for a while if you are taking it regularly to allow bone remodeling to occur (Actonel stops the bone remodeling process).

I figure since I don't have osteoporosis yet, I may not get it at all. If it does develop and I need drugs, maybe a better, safer drug will be available
in the near future.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bone loss is hard to reverse but I hope it works for you without any medications.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your response and good wishes. I have read several times that Actonel and Fosoma do not build bone. I have copied this paragraph from another poster who explains what I have read better than I could have:

"Fosamax and it's sister drugs do not build living bone. It is a poison acid in the same class as soap scum remover. It kills the osteoclasts that normally scrub away old, dead bone cells to make way for the osteoblasts to follow and fill in with new, living bone cells. So, Fosamax allows the dead bone to build up instead of being removed. That looks great on a scan, but after several years, this bone is very weak because it is layer upon layer of dead stuff."

This is why I decided to go against my doctor's advice and wait and see
if I develop osteoporosis, and if I do, maybe a better drug will be available.
It is controversial that these drugs are even effective if a person has osteopenia and does not have osteoporosis yet.

Another interesting item I read is that the bone density measurement for osteoporosis recently was pushed down to 2.5, from higher readings.
This means more people on the drugs, just like they are doing wth cholesterol measurements.

Last year my total cholesterol was 300 and my doctor gave me Lipitor. I did not take it and went to a nutritionist instead. She gave me natural supplements to reduce fats and I started to eat oat bran every morning and I cut out saturated fats and trans fats in my diet. Two weeks ago my total cholesterol was 172!

The same nutritionist gave me supplements and tips on dieting for bone health, so let's see if they work, I will keep you posted.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
(female)

Chelle2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivep
Hi Chelle....I have had osteoporosis for many years, firstly being on HRT and calcium and then after a breast cancer scare (negative) went off the HRT and on to calcitrol. Tests for next few years were quite good and density not too bad. Havent had one for a coupole of years (shifting house) then ten weeks ago had a T12 compressed fracture. Dr. prescribed Actonel. I had my first dose in the morning and that night was rushed to hospital with a heavy bowel haemorrhage. In hospital for that week until a colonoscopy the following week. Have had diverticula disease for many years too but never ever had any bleeding. Just cant believe it was a coincidence. Doctors all wont commit themselves one way or another about the cause, but I will never take another Actonel tablet. Dont know where I can go from here. But be careful and aware. Hope you never have any bad effects and that it works for you. Cheers
Thanks for writing. I haven't had any negative side affects . I will find out how my density is this summer when I go for another bone density test.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
(female)

Chelle2 HB User
Question Re: Actonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal5
Thanks for your response and good wishes. I have read several times that Actonel and Fosoma do not build bone. I have copied this paragraph from another poster who explains what I have read better than I could have:

"Fosamax and it's sister drugs do not build living bone. It is a poison acid in the same class as soap scum remover. It kills the osteoclasts that normally scrub away old, dead bone cells to make way for the osteoblasts to follow and fill in with new, living bone cells. So, Fosamax allows the dead bone to build up instead of being removed. That looks great on a scan, but after several years, this bone is very weak because it is layer upon layer of dead stuff."

This is why I decided to go against my doctor's advice and wait and see
if I develop osteoporosis, and if I do, maybe a better drug will be available.
It is controversial that these drugs are even effective if a person has osteopenia and does not have osteoporosis yet.

Another interesting item I read is that the bone density measurement for osteoporosis recently was pushed down to 2.5, from higher readings.
This means more people on the drugs, just like they are doing wth cholesterol measurements.

Last year my total cholesterol was 300 and my doctor gave me Lipitor. I did not take it and went to a nutritionist instead. She gave me natural supplements to reduce fats and I started to eat oat bran every morning and I cut out saturated fats and trans fats in my diet. Two weeks ago my total cholesterol was 172!

The same nutritionist gave me supplements and tips on dieting for bone health, so let's see if they work, I will keep you posted.
I would like to know the source of this information. It's the first time I've heard this and I have read about traditional and organic approaches.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know someone who took Actonel for 4 years and their bone density has virtually returned to normal. It must have helped build bone because if it only kept bone from breaking down there wouldn't be the improvement seen.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know what information in my post you are referring to, the cholesterol supplements or the bone health supplements. so I'll post both:

For cholesterol I take Policosanol and Plant Sterols.

For bone health I take Calcium citrate, magnesium with Vitamin K (but not at the same time as the calcium), zinc, a pharmaceutical grade advanced formula three tablet multi-vitamin which include trace minerals for bones like boron. I also started to eat collard greens and kale and other greens which contain calcium, in addition to dairy (except milk, which my nutritionist told
me leaches the calcium out of the bone, so I eat yogurt instead.) There was a report on the news last week that calcium from milk is not absorbed in the body.

I won't know if the supplements for bone health are working until I take another bone density test, but the nutritionist told me her customers have seen an increase in bone density on this protocol, so we'll see.

I hope this answers your question.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 AM   #13
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal5

For bone health I take Calcium citrate, magnesium with Vitamin K (but not at the same time as the calcium),

jacal,

What was the reason given by your nutritionist for not taking the mag and K at the same time as the calcium?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

The nutritionist told me that magnesium can block calcium absorption so she gave me separate supplements for calcium and magesium and told me not to take them together. Before I went to the nutritionist I was taking a powdered
calcium/magnesium supplement for a year. I would put a scoopful in a drink twice a day. After the year I took the bone density test, and my hip was slightly worse than the year before at 2.3, and my spine just started osteopenia, which wasn't there the year before. I was so disappointed at the results, because my doctor lead me to believe that just taking calcium supplements would improve my bone density.

Anyway, after my bone density got worse, I took out all the books in the library I could find on osteoporosis. In my opinion the best one out of the bunch was "The Bone Density Diet." Don't let the title fool you, it's not just about the correct foods to eat, it contains all the vital information you need for bone health.

The book stated that magnesium can block calcium absorption (agreeing with the nutritionist), and so can zinc. I take zinc separately also. I also carry it further, if I am drinking calcium fortified orange juice or any high calcium food, I won't take my magnesium or zinc supplement with it.

In addition, I like to take my supplements with food, but if I am eating fiber, like oat bran for breakfast, I wait an hour or two before I take any vitamin or supplement to get the optimal benefit. This advice is in the book also.

As you can see, this balancing act I am doing can get complicated, and to add more confusion I have to take my cholesterol supplements at the correct times also. I am glad I'm retired and able to eat at home, but it still drives me crazy at times and I forget to take something!

Last edited by jacal5; 03-28-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 AM   #15
Inactive

peregrine HB User

jacal,

Thanks for the info. I did an Internet search and could find nothing about calcium supplements being compromised by taking them along with magnesium, zinc or Vitamin K. I think this important to clarify because many calcium supplements also contain magnesium. I'm open to this interesting information and I'm certainly willing to change my protocol, if necessary, but I would like to read this information myself. You mentioned the book, but any web sites you can recommend for research that support this theory?

Thanks,

P.

Last edited by peregrine; 03-29-2005 at 03:24 AM.

Closed Thread