It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User
Question Bone, Joint Pain Side Effects of Osteoporosis Treatments

Has anyone ever asked and been given a good explanation of WHY they encountered bone and joint pain after taking Fosamax or Actonel and what causes/caused them??

I've often wondered the same thing about the bone and joint pain some experience with Forteo. Why? What causes it?

Old 04-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: Bone, Joint Pain Side Effects of Osteoporosis Treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrohnieToo
Has anyone ever asked and been given a good explanation of WHY they encountered bone and joint pain after taking Fosamax or Actonel and what causes/caused them??

I've often wondered the same thing about the bone and joint pain some experience with Forteo. Why? What causes it?
Do some research on what actually comprises these potions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Well, Actonel and Fosamax are bisphosphonates and bisphosphonates slow natural bone death. But that doesn't tell me much.

Forteo is teriparatide, a portion of a synthetic form of the human parathyroid hormone. I can understand the possibility of bone and joint pain side effects of Forteo possibly being due to too much parathyroid hormone.

I must be missing something in what I'm reading or I'm not doing the right searches or using the best search parameters. Can you give me any further clues, Peregrine? OppOnn really respects your opinions.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrohnieToo
Well, Actonel and Fosamax are bisphosphonates and bisphosphonates slow natural bone death. But that doesn't tell me much.

Forteo is teriparatide, a portion of a synthetic form of the human parathyroid hormone. I can understand the possibility of bone and joint pain side effects of Forteo possibly being due to too much parathyroid hormone.

I must be missing something in what I'm reading or I'm not doing the right searches or using the best search parameters. Can you give me any further clues, Peregrine? OppOnn really respects your opinions.
Fosamax is in the same chemical class (phosphonate) that is used in the lye cleaners that remove soap scum from the bath tub. Dr. John Lee has called it a metabolic poison that kills osteoclasts. Go to the Thyroid Board here and type in Fosamax. There was very good information on a thread there from someone who did extensive research on Fosamax. Sorry, I'm off now so don't have time now to better pinpoint that thread for you.

Last edited by peregrine; 04-11-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

perezlin HB User

I found all of the comments on this message board very interesting. I have been taking Actonel for one month and Fosamax for one dose before that. The Fosamax made me very sick. I felt like I was seasick for a week straight and experienced severe bone pain in my hips, wrists and legs. I have now been on Actonel for one month, I've notice blurred vision at times, pain in my legs and acid reflux way beyond anything I've experienced before. If something is doing you more harm then good, I can't see the benefit. I was doing strength training exercise and walking before I started taking this medication and since I've been in too much pain to do anything. After reading some of the comments here, I think I'm going to stop taking the Actonel and go back to my exercising and calcium supplements.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Perezlin,
Sorry to hear that your having side effects to the medication but not surprised. I quit Fosamax after 3 pills due to the stomach irritation. I was sure I'd have an ulcer in no time. If there aren't any alternative medications for you then I can see why you are going to get off the Actonel, it's just not worth it to screw up your insides. Someone here mentioned Miacalcin could be an alternative medication as it's in a nasal spray.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape
Someone here mentioned Miacalcin could be an alternative medication as it's in a nasal spray.
I mentioned Miacalcin because of my mom's use of it. She is due for her first DEXA scan in two years. I'll post as soon as I know how her scores are.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

flowerchild2 HB User

After going off tamoxifen three years ago after breast cancer, (1993) doc put me on Evista - extreme bone pain within 30 days, tried calcitonin nasal spray for 30 days-same results. I could barely walk or use my hands. Doc said other meds for bone density would probably have same results. Symptoms, including multiple attacks of bronchitis, uti's, sinusitis, blurred vision and arthritis lasted for the next 10-12 months. Finally feeling good again, new doc badly wants me on fosamax. I'm fighting it. Dexa scores are ok for hip, borderline for spine. I'll go back on tamoxifen, few side effects for me, if he wants, but that's all for now. Any one currently using that for osteopenia?
Dr. Susan Love calls the meds for osteopenia "anti anxiety drugs"

Old 07-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Hi, flowerchild2,

Your experience with calcitonin is not unusual. Many who have tried either Actonel or Fosamax have had similar adverse reactions. Gastrointestinally speaking, I had much better success with Actonel, which is described as a "third-generation" bisphosphonate. Fosamax is second-generation.

I'm sorry that I don't have any direct knowledge of tamoxifen and its use in treating osteopenia.

I've been reading a few articles about strontium ranelate, a med derived from the mineral strontium. Several studies have demonstrated its efficacy in preventing bone resporption and in aiding bone formation. Following are links to a NEJM article; a citation in PubMed of an article in a Swiss rheumatology journal; and an abstract of an article in Osteoporosis International about representative studies:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/350/5/459%20.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=14685711&dopt=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.goventrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15728210&query_hl=2

I don't know the extent to which doctors are prescribing SR.

I hope that your breast cancer is in remission now.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Oops, I forgot to include one more link to an abstract of an article about another strontium ranelate study. It was published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15728210&query_hl=2

Closed Thread