It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User
Interesting ... A Fingernail Test for Osteoporosis ??

Got a news brief alert today: it seems researchers at the University of Limerick have developed a new method of identifying whether people are suffering from osteoporosis simply by looking at their fingernails.

Studies have shown that low BMD does not directly relate to fracture risk, and DEXA is unable to detect bone fragility related to protein deficiencies, whereas the new test can do this. The researchers say the fingernail test is able to detect osteoporosis in its early stages by measuring the disulphide bond content of the fingernail, using Raman spectroscopy. And maintain the Bone Quality Test (BQT) is cheaper, simpler to use and could prove to be more accurate than all forms of non-invasive osteoporosis testing available today

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Interesting ... A Fingernail Test for Osteoporosis ??

That's interesting. Did it say how they tested the finger nail? Like is a sample taken or what? Sure sounds easier and more accurate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Another news alert about this test came in today and it provided a litte more informatiion.

The device (some form of scanner) tests the amount of disulphide bonds in the fingernail, a compound found both in fingernails as well as bone structures. Low levels of the compound equates to an increased risk of osteoporosis. In test studies, the device performed just as well as conventional bone scans, as those shown to be at risk for osteoporosis from bone scans were also found to have low disulphide bond levels.

The idea for this "scanner" was first conceived when a doctor noticed that many of his osteoporosis patients had "floppy" fingernails. Because of its convenience and cost-effectiveness, he believes that this fingernail scan can detect the risk of osteoporosis in patients that cannot afford or are too unconcerned to undergo bone scans.

The device has been so effective, it was nominated for the British-based Medical Futures - Innovation Awards.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

[QUOTE=CrohnieToo]
The idea for this "scanner" was first conceived when a doctor noticed that many of his osteoporosis patients had "floppy" fingernails. QUOTE]

Hi CT, interesting post. I've never had floppy fingernails, they've always been as hard as a rock and grow like a weed. LoL, I would like to say the same about my hair. I would love to get this "scanner finger test" done just to see what it shows.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Yes, I'd be interested in this "scan" as well. My finner nails seem to grow longest and best and strongest the "sicker" I feel w/this Crohn's disease and when pregnant (years ago now) for some strange reason. I wonder just what they mean by "floppy" fingernails myself. I'm sure it is a long way off from use in the US.

Closed Thread