It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
forteo assistance

Has anyone gotten Forteo assistance with their income over the limit. I am not much over(not enough to pay for it and have anything left to live on) but I am over it by about $3000. My endocrinologist didn't mention assistance but I would guess she would help if necessary. Just wondered if anyone had run into this. My options are limited for medicine because I already have an esophageal problem so the pills are out and my Mother was stroke prone so that eliminates Evista. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User
Re: forteo assistance

Oh, Canyondweller, I am so sorry that I never did look into other financial options for you, back when you had first posted about your situation.

If you don't mind providing some clarification: Did you apply directly to Eli Lilly for the assistance, or to some other program?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have not applied to Lilly because I was over the limits they allowed. Who knows what will happen after this Medicare drug program starts.My Dr. didnt seem to want to put herself out to help. She really wants me to have the IV every 3 months. At this point with all the other stuff I have coming up in the next few months I am going to just increase the exercise, keep up with the calcium, Vit D, etc. and see how I am in a year. I do not want to go on meds at this point. Thanks for your offer but after thinking it over I am going a different direction. My PCP/Pulmonolgist agrees with me.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Well, I certainly do wish you the best of luck in your new program! It sounds as if you are extremely motivated, and the combination of the exercise, calcium and D could very well work for you.

If you haven't done so already, you should talk to your doctor about magnesium supplementation. It can help with calcium absorption.

Please keep in touch with us. This is not a forum just for "meds-only" osteo patients!

Old 09-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

CanyonDweller, forgive my forgetfulness if you have mentioned it previously, but why do you have a pulmonologist? Do you happen to have COPD?

Old 09-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have severe emphysema and chronic bronchitis. I am not on O2 except at night and function quite well due to where my damage is located in the lungs but I am considered severe at 38% lung capacity.

I will check on the magnesium part of treating the osteo. Not sure how motivated I am with the exercise but I know that I have to do it. If I were younger(I am almost 69) I would probably consider medication with my numbers but as you age you respond so differently to meds and there are always more meds one seems to take. This is my year for the dreaded colonscopy, bronchoscopy and getting cataract done so just don't feel I can handle anything else. Thanks to all of you for all your help.

Last edited by Canyondweller; 09-04-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add to post

Old 09-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Canyondweller, I am very sorry about your lung problems. Please note that magnesium can act as a muscle relaxant, and it therefore might be contraindicated in your case, because of your decreased pulmonary function. Definitely check with your pulmonologist.

Again, all the best of luck to you.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
(female)

judynearottawa HB User
Re: forteo assistance..geting help from Eli-Lily ??

Hello to you all, friends who take Forteo and those of us too, who wish we could afford it. I live near Ottawa, Ontario Canada and cannot afford Forteo at all, as it is so expensive here, over 1000 Canadian dollars per month, for 18 months you know. I am a retired teacher, worked all my life, divorced, and find that the price tag is really scary. The Eli-lily people told me that if I order it, and max out my prescription plan (total about 1500 dollars per year on my insurance plan, private teachers plan) well, then I could fill out their papers to get help, and if I qualify the price drops to 214 dollars a month. Wow, that is affordable, but I do not want to max out my prescription plan, only to find out that I do not qualify. Maybe I am not poor enough. How poor do I have to be? joke. I am a former teacher, but does being divorced and having no family count? I am just smiling as I cannot believe the kind of situation we are in here in Canada, with Forteo being called "experimental " and no help at all. And the Eli- lily people will not send me the papers to qualify until I max out my plan. Scary. So I think, maybe I should go to Mexico, or somewhere like Brazil or something, where it is cheaper? Just a thought, and I could get out of the cold and ice too. Just an idea. So, I need your help, fellow Osteoladies ...what should I do? I am scared to take out a 20,000 dollar loan, I mean is that what we do here in Ontario? Advice welcome. How poor do I have to be to qualify for Eli-lily's help? Anyone know? I need some advice, truly. thank you out there..xxjudynearottawa...willing to buy this drug elsewhere ...

Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
(female)

judynearottawa HB User

Hello to you all, friends who take Forteo and those of us too, who wish we could afford it. I live near Ottawa, Ontario Canada and cannot afford Forteo at all, as it is so expensive here, over 1000 Canadian dollars per month, for 18 months you know. I am a retired teacher, worked all my life, divorced, and find that the price tag is really scary. The Eli-lily people told me that if I order it, and max out my prescription plan (total about 1500 dollars per year on my insurance plan, private teachers plan) well, then I could fill out their papers to get help, and if I qualify the price drops to 214 dollars a month. Wow, that is affordable, but I do not want to max out my prescription plan, only to find out that I do not qualify. Maybe I am not poor enough. How poor do I have to be? joke. I am a former teacher, but does being divorced and having no family count? I am just smiling as I cannot believe the kind of situation we are in here in Canada, with Forteo being called "experimental " and no help at all. And the Eli- lily people will not send me the papers to qualify until I max out my plan. Scary. So I think, maybe I should go to Mexico, or somewhere like Brazil or something, where it is cheaper? Just a thought, and I could get out of the cold and ice too. Just an idea. So, I need your help, fellow Osteoladies ...what should I do? I am scared to take out a 20,000 dollar loan, I mean is that what we do here in Ontario? Advice welcome. How poor do I have to be to qualify for Eli-lily's help? Anyone know? I need some advice, truly. thank you out there..xxjudynearottawa...willing to buy this drug elsewhere ...

Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
(female)

judynearottawa HB User

Old 10-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Judy, you in a tough spot. I don't know what to suggest except if there is an organization in your city that helps with prescription medications that you can ask for assistance.

Pat NJ, good to see you back again. I posted a threat a while back looking for you. Missed your input and Humor.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #12
(female)

judynearottawa HB User
Wink Re: forteo assistance...near Ottawa, Canada

Hello Taape,

Thank you for replying ...I am in Canada the land of snow and ice, but no Forteo for little retired teachers with a basic medical plan like me, in fact one has to have a rich husband or other medical private plans to be able to afford around 1000 per month in our dollars that is a lot...so ? I have received the Forteo Compassionate Care papers and hope that I am poor enough to get some help, if I am it will be around 214 a month which is reasonable ..I do not know yet if I am approved as I am not that poor, but find 1000 way too much ...and yes, I love to have a laugh at life sometimes ..I am single and feel like I need to ask a man instead of where to go for dinner ..what his medical plan is! I can only smile at the way life turns out. So far, I have just cataracts, and a back issue, but the humour is intact. And wishing you all well, from the cold north here, the land of deer in my backyard, and fall coloured leaves. best wishes to you all, and Taape thank you for your support. bye from near Ottawa in the woods

Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Your welcome and I hope the assistance program approves the Forteo for you.

Closed Thread