It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

nightangel73 HB User
Achilles Express bone densiometer..accurate?

I was at a health fair in my company and they had this little bone density machine called Achilles Express where you put your feet and it measures the bone density from the heel/ankle. It readed for me -1.8 which according to the test is in the osteopenia level. She told me the machine is not very accurate but that I should tell my doctor. I got scared and decided to make an appt. with the doctor since I am only 32 for next week. I know I have thin bone frame but that doesnt mean doesnt mean that they are not dense enough. So I just wonder on the accuracy of that test. I'm hoping it just that machine was wrong with the readings. Any feedback appreciated

Last edited by nightangel73; 10-22-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: question on bone density scanners

I've only had a DEXA scan which shows hip and spine. I think it's a good idea that your going to see your doctor because he will probably order a DEXA. I know that the technician who did my last DEXA said that there is so much variation even when you get tested on the same machine, and it depends on the technician's skill also. Let us know what you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

My sister had a similar scan of her wrist at a local supermarket. This was good because her insurance wouldn't pay for a DEXA due to her age (even though her older AND younger sister have osteopenia/porosis!). The wrist scan read higher than the DEXA in her case, but she does have osteopenia.

Which, by the way, isn't the end of the world. It sure feels like it when you first find out though! You will probably feel better speaking to a doctor about it.
Good luck!

Old 10-27-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

The Heel Scan is just a screening test. I've had one thru LifeLine out of OH. You've done the correct thing in making an appointment with your doctor to give him the results of your screening test. The two of you can now take a good look at all of your "risk factors" for osteoporosis and come up with a preventative program. This, in all likelihood, will involve attention to your diet, your calcium intake, vitamin D levels, amount of exercise you get each day and what actions will be easiest and most likely for you to adopt to maintain and improve your bone turnover pattern. This screening test is NOT something to be alarmed about, it is something to be grateful for. It wasn't a negative, it was a positive. You are now forewarned and can make lifestyle adjustments BEFORE osteoporosis occurs. Most of us aren't aware of our status until it is too late and we already are well into osteoporitic bone density.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

I also had a test done at a Health Fair (the kind that they put things onto your ankles).......this being just a screening she told me that I did have either low numbers or something going on, i realy don't know for sure. I was shocked because i have been taking calcium supplements for years. Is this test accurate? i am having a bone density test done next week?.Wonder if it will be okay? Do these test show arthiritis? or is it just for ostheoporsis?? thanks bride527

Closed Thread