It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

sanjdill HB User
Newly Diagnosed and have some questions

I have just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and was told by the doctor that according to my bone density test, I have the bones of an 80 year old - I'm only 63. He put me on Actonel as well as vitamins and calcium supplements. Said if I broke a bone I WOULD end up in the nursing home - which I am not ready for and it really shook me up. They have tested me for all kinds of things to see why I'm aging so quickly and nothing shows up yet. Is there anyone else out there who has been told this? I have good days and some days I just ache all over as if I have the flu. Having been a fairly active person and able to do what I want, this is very hard to comprehend.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed and have some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjdill
I have just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and was told by the doctor that according to my bone density test, I have the bones of an 80 year old - I'm only 63. He put me on Actonel as well as vitamins and calcium supplements. Said if I broke a bone I WOULD end up in the nursing home - which I am not ready for and it really shook me up. They have tested me for all kinds of things to see why I'm aging so quickly and nothing shows up yet. Is there anyone else out there who has been told this? I have good days and some days I just ache all over as if I have the flu. Having been a fairly active person and able to do what I want, this is very hard to comprehend.

Thanks for any input you might have.
One thing you might do is read the book The Myth of Osteoporosis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
(female)

sanjdill HB User

Thanks for your suggestion. I went to Amazon and ordered the book. From reading reviews of it, sounds like something I need to read.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Well, now, I'm 63. I also have osteoporosis. My 2003 lumbar T-score was -3.2 and my 2003 hip T-score was -2.8. It "ain't" good, but it also "ain't" the end of the world. I haven't let those T-scores slow me down or interfere w/my lifestyle to any degree. I still ride horses (I don't do a lot of trotting or cantering) as a for instance. Look, with osteoporosis you have to use some common sense but quite frankly your doctor has given you a very unnecessary scare. It is important that you remain active. Weight bearing exercise is very important and good for osteoporosis. The worst thing you can do is shut down and be afraid to do anything for fear of falling, etc. Just use some common sense; wear comfortable safe shoes, get out there and live your life.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
(female)

jom257 HB User

Hi,
I was also recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in my hips. I was told they are that of a 60-70 yr old. I am only 48. My doctor says I should be on Actonel, however, I read some horrific side effects on a site the other day and am very concerned. I am looking into alternative methods. I will let you know how I make out. Did your side effects of flu etc. start when you began the medication?

Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

jom257 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrohnieToo
Well, now, I'm 63. I also have osteoporosis. My 2003 lumbar T-score was -3.2 and my 2003 hip T-score was -2.8. It "ain't" good, but it also "ain't" the end of the world. I haven't let those T-scores slow me down or interfere w/my lifestyle to any degree. I still ride horses (I don't do a lot of trotting or cantering) as a for instance. Look, with osteoporosis you have to use some common sense but quite frankly your doctor has given you a very unnecessary scare. It is important that you remain active. Weight bearing exercise is very important and good for osteoporosis. The worst thing you can do is shut down and be afraid to do anything for fear of falling, etc. Just use some common sense; wear comfortable safe shoes, get out there and live your life.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
(female)

jom257 HB User

Hi are you taking any medication for your osteoporosis?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
(female)

sanjdill HB User

Thanks so much for all who have answered my post. I need to emphasize that I haven't given up and am still trying to do all that I did before. I was never one to go to the doctor like I should have and have a hard time following instructions. It's just that I feel like I have the flu most of the time. The pain is mostly in my back, neck and chest and I did have it before I went to the doctor, so I don't think it's a side effect of the medicine. I know there are others out there much worse than me, but was just wondering if anyone else had the same symptoms.

Thanks again,

Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 AM   #9
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjdill
Thanks so much for all who have answered my post. I need to emphasize that I haven't given up and am still trying to do all that I did before. I was never one to go to the doctor like I should have and have a hard time following instructions. It's just that I feel like I have the flu most of the time. The pain is mostly in my back, neck and chest and I did have it before I went to the doctor, so I don't think it's a side effect of the medicine. I know there are others out there much worse than me, but was just wondering if anyone else had the same symptoms. Thanks again,
Sanjdill,

You keep mentioning that you feel like you always have the flu. This, along with the pain you speak of, may be related to a completely different disorder. A major symptom of CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immunological Dysfunction Syndrome) is flu like symptoms for at least a period of 6 months. Of course there are many accompanying symptoms as well, including pain. You might want to check out the CFIDS foundation web site for a definitive list of qualifying symptoms. I hesitated to post this because I certainly don't want to add to your fears (I heartily agree with Crohnie's post!), but maybe just some added information to consider?

All the best

Last edited by peregrine; 10-29-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:48 AM   #10
(female)

ThinBones HB User

Just to make you feel a little better, I am 49 with Osteo. and I was told that I had the bones of an 80 year old when I was 20!! Of course, no bone scans available then, etc. My MD told me that it was normal for me (to have thin bones). My osteo is basically inherited. I am now on Forteo and hoping for the best as my T scores are high for my age. Make sure you go to a good endocrinologist and don't let those doc's scare you. Boy does that make me mad when they say just plain stupid things. It has happened to me before. Hopefully you can find out why you aren't feeling good, don't give up!! Best of luck.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 AM   #11
(female)

meca HB User

Hi Sangdill, I'm 49 years old and have t-score of -4.6 (!)I've been on Actonel for several months and it does seem to have flulike effect sometimes. The first day I took it I actually had fever and chills for about 4 hours. Now I am achy at times. Sometimes joints, but sometimes also muscles. What I do is try to separate a bit from my pains and weakness and don't let it paralize me. Sometimes it's hard and I take alot of breaks. Mostly I try to get together with friends so that I take my mind off my troubles and the thought that at any time I might break. I am learning that MD's have a way of putting things so that we go into a panic. I wish they would realize that encouragement would go alot further to help us heal. I hope that your tolerance to the actonel gets better. Keep us posted!

Old 11-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
(female)

greentree HB User

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and had a T-score of the spine of -3.2, hips not as bad. My doctor put me on Actonel and calcium supplements. After a month of Actonel I do get some bone pain initially but by the end of the week it's just about gone. I also was told that walking was a good exercise.

Closed Thread