It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

cathy4800 HB User
EZorb question/concern

I just got my first bottle of Ezorb and reading the label, it says that each serving (2 capsules) provide 1120mgs of Calcium Aspartate Anhydrous and
146mg of elemental Calcium.
I just wrote to them and haven't heard back, but I'm a bit concerned about the low level of elemental calcium per serving. Does this mean that you only get 146 mgs of calcium and the calcium aspartate anhydrous is a helper of the calcium or is the calcium aspartate anhydrous a substitute for traditional calcium?
I'm concerned about not getting enough regular calcium per serving.
Although I bought the bottle, I guess I'm still a little skeptical--<removed>, when you call them, you can't speak with someone directly. You have to leave a message and they call you back.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-23-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 03-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User
Re: EZorb question/concern

I can't answer your questions, Cathy, just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one naturally suspicious of hype and advertising such as this. Some of them may be good products but I'm always rather reluctant to spend my money on them BECAUSE of the hype and glowing testimonials.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

cathy4800 HB User

thanks, Crohnie.
Here's the response I got from Elixir about the concerns I wrote about.
This is a really suspicious, non-medical type of response and makes me very very skeptical.
I'm going to wait til Peregrine posts her numbers after taking it for a year and see if it reverses anything. If not, I'll probably just take a couple a day--since it only adds 300mgs of elemental calcium to my already 1000 of calcium citrate malate.

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for contacting Elixir Industry. EZorb is not
a traditional calcium. It doesn't go by the
milligrams. The recommended dosage of EZorb has been
clinically tested and proven to be the best for
different weight groups. It's critical to follow the
instructions that came with your order. There's no
need to take extra calcium.

Information on the bottle sometimes creates confusion
but it's mandatory requirement from FDA. Simply ignore
the label information and follow the instructions on
the separate sheet.

All the best,
EZorb Online Medical Staff
Elixir Industry

Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

I got today the first bottle of the ezorb and I am excited about this calcium. I bought the powder form <removed> since I want to take the least chances with my sensitive stomach. This calcium is incredibly lightweight so makes a lot of sense to me why it could be so well absorbed and not a reason to cause kidney stones. Remember guys you want the highest absorption, not the highest amount. Obviously is something is better absorbed then you need to take less. I am in all for this calcium and don't mind being a guinea pig. So add me guys to the list of wait and see if it works. I will certainly keep you guys updated. One thing I don't agree with what they say, or to say they didn't inform completetly. It says it doesnt need magnesium and vitamin D to be absorbed which could be true but vitamin D is needed in order that the calcium that is absorbed stays in the bone. So I'm going to buy tomorrow a vitamin D supplement as my doctor recomended and take it along with this nice ezorb. Right now I'm seeing if my stomach tolerates it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-23-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
(female)

cathy4800 HB User

Thanks, Nightangel.
I totally agree to take Vitamin D with it.
I'm going to wait to hear what happens with Peregrine (since her test comes up soon.) Gee, I would LOVE for this to work. I don't mind being a guinea pig--just for the price (and it's really pricey), don't want my numbers to get worse.
I still feel in my gut that calcium is only a part of it and good weight bearing exercises & diet is just as important.
Please keep us posted.
Nightangel, are you planning on starting off taking 8 pills a day?

Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Cathy absolutetly I agree with you that calcium is only part of it. Weight bearing exercise is a must. I signed the contract yesterday to gold's gym and my plan is to do classic bodybuilding routines. Low repetitions sets at heavy weight. That's the key. I am 100% certain it will work as I am not new to bodybuilding. In highschool I gained 25 pounds in lean muscle mass (my whole body changed) this way. I have the gut feeling I have had bone low density all my life and it's just now that I know of it. I am very excited about going to the gym again as I was lacking a motivation to go, now I do

Since I got the powder I'm going with that the bottle says. I'm going to take 2 teaspoons twice a day (breakfast and dinner). Bottle suggest 1 to 3 times a day take 2 teaspoons. I plan on having a good calcium diet so I think this will be enough. I will eat lot of brocolli and brussel sprouts and dairy products so I don't see the need to take so much supplemented calcium. Now that the weather is warming up and I'm able to go walking at lunch time I will make sure I stay the 15 minutes in the sun everyday for natural D vitamin.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

and btw yeah ezorb is expensive. Thankfully my mom wants to take it as well so we will share the costs

Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
(female)

cathy4800 HB User

Yours sounds like a good plan and I am keeping my fingers crossed it helps.
Please keep me (us) posted.
I'm (ever cautious) still planning on waiting til april (when my calcium citrate runs out) and hearing Peregrine's results.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
(female)

idyb HB User

My bone scan showed a 10% loss even though I was taking over the counter calcium because I have to take Prednisone for Lupus. Prednisone causes osteoprosis.

I changed to EZORB and took it for 6 months ( 4 tablets a day) and hoped that it would just stop the loss. My next scan showed no loss so I called EZORB and they said that if I would increase to 6 pills a day I would see improvement. I hope so but I'am thrilled that it stopped my bone loss from the prednisone. I'm sure someone would have even better results not taking the prednisone.

Good luck,
Eileen

Old 03-23-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Hello all,

I absolutely agree about the weight-bearing exercise being vitally important!

As for the Ezorb (I have no stake in their company ) I see no point in taking it if you do not follow the recommended dosage for your weight and double dose the first 3 months. I think every product has a protocol that works for that product. How can you tell if it actually works for you if you do other than what they suggest? Just my take, of course. My understanding is that this is a different type of calcium product and does not require magnesium or vitamind D to do its "thing."

Wishing us all strong bones, by whatever means we each feel best about acquiring them

P.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
(female)

cathy4800 HB User

Yes, Peregrine. Wishing us all success with it!
And Eileen, that's wonderful. Please keep us posted. A good friend of mine was on prednisone for while (she has transverse myelitis) and it's a very strong drug. I didn't realize it caused osteoporosis. Great to hear that Ezorb has helped you.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

oh yeah prednisone is well known to be bad for the bones. Just like accutane. That is why I was concerned.

Peregrine I agree with you in taking the amount the protocol of a product suggest. But one has also to do have our judgement. Like for example when I took accutane since I knew the drug was son dangerous I took a lower dosage than what the doctor prescribed to me and i had the same results minus less side effects. I believe in listening to your body more than anything.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
(female)

Jone HB User

Nightangel, be sure you are working with someone at the gym who knows about osteoporosis. My doctor and personal trainer say light weights and more repetitions NOT heavy weight and fewer repetitions. Each time I do a new exercise, my trainer says she would rather I lower the weights and do 15 reps and do them correctly.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jone
Nightangel, be sure you are working with someone at the gym who knows about osteoporosis. My doctor and personal trainer say light weights and more repetitions NOT heavy weight and fewer repetitions. Each time I do a new exercise, my trainer says she would rather I lower the weights and do 15 reps and do them correctly.
thank you jone. Well I am young (33) and I don't have osteoporosis (just osteopenia which I probably have had forever) so I don't see why lift heavy weights should be a problem for me. My doctor said no problem with bodybuilding routines for me. I do not recomend to someone older with osteo to do what I am doing without medical advice. But this is good for me. I tell you when I first got to the gym years ago I went from leg pressing around 30 pounds to leg pressing around 250 pounds when I left. You can't have brittle leg bones if you are able to lift that much. As you say you do have to do reps correctly. I do not believe muscle or bone is going to grow with low weight lifts. More reps at low weight has always been good for toning the muscle, but that won't make it grow. But then for someone older that type of routine might be better. Definetly it is a good idea to consult a physician or personal trainer before engaging any excersice routine.

My doctor did said no powerlifting which is different to bodybuilding. I agreed with him definetly.

Last edited by nightangel73; 03-23-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #15
(female)

spettro HB User
Smile Re: EZorb question/concern

1000mg of Calcium Carbonate(the most common calcium supplement) provides 400mg of elemental calcium...Wow! - But wait...of that 400mg, you will only absorb about 5-10&#37;. So at very best, you might absorb 40mg of Calcium from Calcium Carbonate(...and I think that's optimistic.) So what happens to the other 360mg?? Your guess is as good as mine, but have you ever heard of Kidney stones?...some of its excreted causing constipation and some is laid in places in the body where you probably don't want it. Most other traditional calcium supplements don't do much better. Ezorb on the other hand has about a 90-95% elemental calcium absorption rate which is also bonded with Aspartic acid which steps up bone metabolism. So lets do the math. Taking 4 daily capsules of Ezorb will give you 292mg elemental X 92% gives you 269mg of calcium absorbed. However, you could take about 6725mg of calcium carbonate which would give you 269mg absorption. Your choice.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-23-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: editing quote

Closed Thread