It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Question T-score vs. Z-score

Which number do you feel is a better indicator of bone health? The T score which measures you against much younger women or the Z score which is from your own age group? I ask because by my T-scores I have osteoporosis in both lumbar spine (-2.9) and femoral neck (-2.7) , osteopenina in my hips (-1.9). By the Z-score i am under -2 in all three areas. Just curious as to what you all think. Take care...phyllis

Old 08-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: T-score vs. Z-score

The T score is what is used by the medical professionals. I'm not even sure why they rate the Z score as it just makes it very confusing for patients.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User

I decided to put more weight on the Z score. Why compare my bones with a 20 year old?

Old 09-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi peregrine, I tend to agree with you, and since none/most of us don't know what our density was at 20 we really have no guidelines to go by. Have you read the book the Myth of Osteoporosis? I read it and came away with a new understanding. I'm still going to try and do all i can to improve the t-scores, but knowing i'm in the same ballpark as women my age helps. takes care...phyllis

Closed Thread