It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User
bone loss in jaw

I have experienced bone loss in my jaw - possibly from taking foxamax - Is there anything I can do/take to build bone in my jaw? I have dental implants that are in jeopardy. I am taking calcium+D and am on bio-identical hormones. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to littlegirl53:
Relevant (05-30-2011)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: bone loss in jaw

Hi LittleGirl53 :

As far as I know (and I'm no expert and don't work in the medical field), once the bone-loss in the jaw begins, there is no ACTUAL cure. As you mention, it could very well be from the Fosomax. Have you spoken to the doctor who originally prescribed your Fosomax? Regarding your perilious dental work, you should probably discuss treatment with your oral surgeon (or dentist). How long had you been on the Fosomax before you had the jaw bone-loss? Before you started taking this med had you read up on the various side-effects associated with it? (and I don't mean the insert you get with the bottle, that doesn't tell you the half of it)!!

Keep us posted and let us know what happens, and best of luck, whatever the outcome,

Irene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesflus
Hi LittleGirl53 :

As far as I know (and I'm no expert and don't work in the medical field), once the bone-loss in the jaw begins, there is no ACTUAL cure. As you mention, it could very well be from the Fosomax. Have you spoken to the doctor who originally prescribed your Fosomax? Regarding your perilious dental work, you should probably discuss treatment with your oral surgeon (or dentist). How long had you been on the Fosomax before you had the jaw bone-loss? Before you started taking this med had you read up on the various side-effects associated with it? (and I don't mean the insert you get with the bottle, that doesn't tell you the half of it)!!

Keep us posted and let us know what happens, and best of luck, whatever the outcome,

Irene
Thanks for your reply, Irene. I don't really know if it's from the Foxomax and no, I have not discussed it with the doctor. I have discussed treatment with the oral surgeon and there is nothing he can do at this point. That's why i am desperately trying to figure out if there is something I can do to encourage bone growth in the area. I did not read up on side effects of Fosomax before taking it.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I believe we all experience jawbone loss as we age, particularly those of us with dentures. However, my dentist tells me that my jawbone has significantly improved since I began Fosamax 7 years ago. But then, I've had no adverse effects from Fosamax, knock on wood.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegirl53
I have experienced bone loss in my jaw - possibly from taking foxamax - Is there anything I can do/take to build bone in my jaw? I have dental implants that are in jeopardy. I am taking calcium+D and am on bio-identical hormones. Thanks!
Hi: I agree that it would be a good idea to talk to the doc that is treating your osteo and see what he/she say's. It's also normal for people to loose jaw bone density as they age from 30 on, so I wouldn't "automatically" assume it's a result of the fosamax (maybe-but slim). I have bone loss in my jaw, and it occured "long" before I ever took any osteo meds. My jaw bone loss is from having Osteoporosis for a long time and it went undiagnosed. The only thing that I'm doing for it is taking Forteo to hopefully rebuild my bones and using a antibiotic rinse with a rotodent tooth brush. If you are worried about the Fosamax, then maybe your doc would consider some other med that's "not" a bisphosphonate (Miacalcin, or Forteo), you're already taking hormones/calcium etc. so that should help. As far as your implants go, your oral surgeon or endodontist would be the one to talk to about treating the jaw to prevent implant loss.

One other thing I wanted to add, is that I haven't had any trauma to my jaw bone i.e. no extractions, no bone removal, or bone exposed to oxygen, but still have bone loss and periodontal disease. I have also read that having implants could help with loss of bone, because you are implanting something into the area of bone that would have otherwise declined if you did nothing, like gone without teeth in certain areas. When you have extractions and 'osteo', and do nothing else, the bone deteriorates faster because there is nothing to support the bone.

How long did you take Fosamax, and do you mind mentioning your t-scores before starting it and and subsequent scores during or after finishing it, if you did stop it, this info could tell you a lot? Does your oral surgeon feel that Fosamax could be a cause, and that you should stop taking it or do they feel it's a result of osteoporosis?

I'm doing all I know of to prevent further jaw bone loss, but my problem started at least 10 years before I ever took Actonel and I no longer take it for various "other" reasons.
Good Luck with this, and ask the doc about the other meds and see what the answer is, they might help tremendously, and for the people that Forteo has helped, it works much faster, for bone turnover, than any bisphosphonate. Please keep us posted...

I wish you all the luck on this.

Pam

Last edited by DesertBloom; 10-20-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Thank you for your response, Pam. I don't want to spend a lot of energy trying to figure out if it was fosamax that caused the bone deterioration because it's done. But I will look into forteo as something I could consider for the future. I will ask my doc about forteo but is it something new? Why aren't doctors prescribing it instead of fosamax? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegirl53
Thank you for your response, Pam. I don't want to spend a lot of energy trying to figure out if it was fosamax that caused the bone deterioration because it's done. But I will look into forteo as something I could consider for the future. I will ask my doc about forteo but is it something new? Why aren't doctors prescribing it instead of fosamax? Thanks.
Hi: Forteo has been around since Nov of 2002, put is primarily reserved for people with extremely low t-scores. Not sure why your doc wouldn't have mentioned it unless your t-score isn't real low; there are a lot of people taking it, and it's also very expensive so hopefully you ins covers it. Here's a link about the testing on it so you know more about it.

Good Luck...

[url]http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/DEAL703.PDF#search=%22forteo%20and%20ost eosarcoma%22[/url]

Last edited by DesertBloom; 11-04-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBloom
Hi: Forteo has been around since Nov of 2002, put is primarily reserved for people with extremely low t-scores. Not sure why your doc wouldn't have mentioned it unless your t-score isn't real low; there are a lot of people taking it, and it's also very expensive so hopefully you ins covers it. Here's a link about the testing on it so you know more about it.

Good Luck...

[url]http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/DEAL703.PDF#search=%22forteo%20and%20ost eosarcoma%22[/url]

Thanks Desert Bloom. My doctor probably didn't prescribe Forteo because I am osteopenic only. I did a little reading on it and I am somewhat concerned about the possible side effects. I don't think I'll go there unless I learn that it will definately build bone in the jaw (I read that it only helps in the hip and spine). I'll keep looking and I really appreciate everybody's input on this. Thanks.

Closed Thread