It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Question Is it possible to completely recover from Osteoporosis?

I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. My question, will my bones eventually get to the osteopenia stage? Is it possible for anyone ever to completely recover from the diagnosis of osteoporosis? I am thinking that medication and treatment is something I will have to live with forever. I have a appointment with the Cleveland Cllinic and a endo physician, I am heading towards forteo and Evista. When I was younger my doctor would tell me, "see you in a year", now I go out of the office with handfuls of paper and scripts. Having said that I still feel blessed that at least I have an opportunity to make a choice about my healthcare, my grandma and mother wasn't so lucky, they didn't have opportunities for new medications and therefore choices were limited. Thank you!!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Is it possible to completely recover from Osteoporosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers View Post
I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. My question, will my bones eventually get to the osteopenia stage? Is it possible for anyone ever to completely recover from the diagnosis of osteoporosis? I am thinking that medication and treatment is something I will have to live with forever. I have a appointment with the Cleveland Cllinic and a endo physician, I am heading towards forteo and Evista. When I was younger my doctor would tell me, "see you in a year", now I go out of the office with handfuls of paper and scripts. Having said that I still feel blessed that at least I have an opportunity to make a choice about my healthcare, my grandma and mother wasn't so lucky, they didn't have opportunities for new medications and therefore choices were limited. Thank you!!!!

Hi: It is certainly possible to revert to osteopenia from osteoporosis, and even some have made it back close to normal. Since we are all different, it just depends on how well your system responds to treatment, but it is possible. I'm on forteo as well, and hope you have sucess with it. The Cleveland Clinic is an excellent place to go so you are very lucky there. Are you planning on taking the forteo and evista at the same time? My dr wants me to switch to evista when the forteo is over, if there aren't any better options then. I know some feel that combo therapy is good, but my dr. believes that these other meds blunt the effect of forteo, so it's up to you and the dr on what you decide, if that's what you were referring to.

Good Luck...You should be real happy about getting into that clinic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you so much, the cleveland clinic is the best!!!! I have been going to them for over 40 years and they have been fantastic. They are just a skip and a jump from my home. I cannot take any meds that would make my gerd act up again, my mom died from stomach and esphogeal cancer and I am at risk also, therefore actonel and fosamax is totally out of the question. After listening to all of the posts, doing some of my own research, it seems to me that forteo and evista is the way to go. I read on one of the posts that forteo/evista were given together at the cleveland clinic. I am thinking more along the lines of your thought process, forteo now and evista after the forteo is done. I have a feeling after my apt with my endo doctor at the cleveland clinic I will know exactly what route I will take, however I am waiting standby for any earlier cancellation. I also just purchased the book The Myth of Osteoporosis and can hardly wait to read it. This all is so overwhelming at first, then something else kicks in, you all are so right about this, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on. After my doctors apt today I wandered through a green house and enjoyed all the spring flowers, then stopped off and had a ice cream cone, and I plan on watching a real funny movie tonight. I will keep you posted on my apt. with the cleveland clinic when that happens, any information I will share asap. blessings! betty lou

Old 02-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

BettyLou...did you plan your garden while walking thru the greenhouse? We've already picked up seeds to start, so you can see we're anxious too. You are starting to sound better already. Once the inital shock wears off things get better...don't they?

I somethings think its way we are told that makes the dx so overwhelming. I heard mine when the nurse called with the dexa results last year, the first words out of her mouth were "i have the results and they aren't good." I don't beleive in sugarcoating, but a different approach would've been easer to take.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the book. Let us know what you think. Of the books i read over when first dx, it was the most helpful, for me. take care...phyllis

Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Phyllis, as I was walking through the greenhouse, there was nature in all it's beauty and glory, spring is a beginning and i was right in the midst of new beginnings of growth and beauty. The folks at the greenhouse are use to me saundering through during the winter months and looking for creative ideas. I love antique primitive items phyllis, farm tools etc. reminds me of home growing up. I will plant a flower in a maple syrup bucket, barrel, sprinkling can and I even have a outhouse. I have a old washing machine out in the yard phyllis and at Christmas time I hang out a line of Santa Claus clothes, red longjohns, the works and everyone stops by and takes pictures, it's really cute. The children in the neighborhood call me Mrs. Claus. I apologize for rambling!!!
Phyllis you are so right about how the information is delivered to you, I got it through a e-mail, I was looking for positive results and instead felt like someone threw a cold glass of ice water in my face. I think now I am going through another stage in this process, I actually feel like asking every woman I meet " do you have osteoporosis and what are you doing for it?" I need to know there are others out there like me, does that sound silly. I never thought about my body as bones and skelton before and to be honest it was a smidget uncomfortable. When I zeroed in on it somehow I felt I was more than my physical self, there still was betty lou, I was more than my bones deteriorating.
Phyllis I so love trees, in the spring I actually go outside and hug this giant tree in the back yard. I also love large giant trees in the forest and I always felt like a strong giant tree myself, then all of a sudden the giant tree in betty lou felt suddenly more vulnerable. Yesireee!!! it's quite an awakening and thanks to all of you, the initial jolt was made so much easier and I am grateful.
I started reading the Myth of Osteoporosis, wow!!!!!! I am loving every word of it, there is alot of clinical information so far but what I am experiencing so far Phyllis is there is no hurry to take drugs that have side effects that are more harmful, especially without more data and info. I am not one for putting anything into this ole body that doesn't belong there. I have more diagnosis than just osteoporosis and I have made it to 68 years old by keeping one eye open when I sleep. This book is powerful because it empowers me and gives me back my power to continue on in my search for what is best for me. So far it has been a very powerful positive book.
I have a assortment of flowers, trees etc in my garden, each one I treat and take care differently, one size does not fit all with my flowers and one size doesn't fit all with me either. I would love to see these drug companies make it madatory for their executives in sales part of the study, have them sit down and swallow some of there side effect meds and see how upbeat they can be.
Phyllis Anyways I want to tell you a cute story. It's my favorite little granddaughter story. While we were watering the garden last fall we came upon a dead flower, she asked " nanny why is the flower dying, it looks so bad" I replied by telling her the cycle of the flower from seed to getting old and drying up. I explained to her she was like the flower she will have to take good care of yourself, eat good food, brush her teeth etc. etc. She instantly took the hose and started watering me and said, I don't want you to die nanny, somehow in her mind watering her nanny would keep me from drying out, needless to say I was touched very deeply.
It is so nice to talk with you phyllis, it's a shame you don't live nearby, we could spend alot of time in the summer sitting on the swing, sipping ice cold lemonade under the maple tree. blessings betty lou

Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi to all of you discussing the beloved flowers: I too am a long time flower adorer, and I've hesitated telling you all my problems with not being able to plant into the ground anymore, which just about killed me, but I guarantee you there are other alternate ways to do this if you should ever get to the point that I have were kneeling and bending is impossible. I really hope this doesn't happen to you but if it does, that doesn't mean you have to give up on this luxury.

My favorite flowers are perrenials, because they continue to come up each and every year without much effort. I planted over 300 bulbs about 7 years ago when I was still able to plant into the ground, and all but a small few continue to reappear every year right on schedule.

Another thing to think of it you have the problems I do is to come up with alternate ways to have the same heaven in your yard. I use hanging pots for crawling varities, which doesn't require any bending, and also I use many different very large pots that I have elevated on the redwood rolling stands, which I can move with my foot, also they are easy to take care of without causing pain. My favorites are Calla Lilies, especially the unusal variety, jasmine, honeysuckle, roses 17 bushes in all, daffodils, grape hyacinth, snowy bells, tulips, african lilies which do well in my pots, where I get at least 3 full bouquets each week which runs about 5 times per growing season, and also fressias which also have an icredible sent that fills the entire house. I also love flowering bonsai trees which you grow in the house, but they need a lot of attention. Also dahlias do very well in my big pots, gardenias unbelievably fragrant, and also all of these require very little work-just water and I use granulated fertilizer which you just toss on. When I cut them and bring them inside I use a very long handle clipper, and let the flower fall to the ground then pick them up with my reach-it. Our gardener handles the cutting down of all these when they have reached there end of life span for that season. And our auto sprinklers handle the watering except for the potted varieties. I can't lift the large potting soil bags, so my husband handles that and puts the pots on something high enough so I don't have to bend to plant.

So I just wanted to tell you that if you ever reach my level of disability, you can still do these things. Unfortunately wild flowers don't do well where we live because that is in the High Desert of Ca, hence my screen name. Don't ever give up on this extreme joy even if you can't plant into the ground anymore, there are plenty of alternatives. I would love to have a green house, becaue I love growing orchids, but have never gotten around to having someone build a green house for us. We also have many trees and bushes but again our gardener handles all of these.

Enjoy mother nature she sure provides us with much joy!!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hi Wildflowers :

Yes, they way one is delivered the news of the dexa scan is VERY important. I received my T-score results through the mail (snail-mail). It said that my result was ''abnormal''. Actually, they really weren 't all that bad - -2.5 in hip and -2.2 in spine. Yes, to begin with, I started to worry and aggravate myself. Then I calmed down, read several books, including ''The Myth of Osteoporosis'' which is very informative, started to educate myself from various sites on the internet (including these boards) and ''voila'' - now I'm much more relaxed and confident about the choice I made for myself. Each one of us makes our own choices. I chose NOT to take medications (my own personal decision). I am taking calcium citrate together with magnesium citrate and vit. d, and walking one to one and a half hours per day, even during the rain hahahaha I do weight training using light weights about 3 times a week. I really enjoy the walking and love taking in the beauty of trees and flowers, just like you. Just the other day I came upon a flock of wild green parrots, busy feeding in a tree. I find that when I walk I lose most of my stress, my bones, joints and muscles relax and flex themselves out, which definitely relaxes me. Remember, a diagnosis of osteoporosis is NOT a diagnosis of cancer, and, I really don't consider it a disease at all. The majority of post-menopausal women get it, and many who are pre-menopausal, too. Continue living as you did before your ''diagnosis'' and don't worry - repeat - DON'T WORRY, your're not living with a fatal disease. Speak with your docs, read up yourself on the subject, and talk to friends and family, and then decide.

Hope you have success, whichever way you go

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Jeepers! all of you are just the very best! You make me so happy!!!!! Desert Bloom your garden sounds like heaven on earth, I have a tendency to visualize when reading and I was immediately transformed into your garden, your wonderful description of your many flowers and ideas was like the Sound of Music supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, thanks a bunch. There truly is something very nurturing and healing when our bodies and mind connect with nature and all of it's surprises. Montesflus mentioned wild green parrots, what a feast for the eyes, my heart would've been so full to actually been able to watch them. Besides flowers and gardening I adore birds, I have two finches, love to take care of my many outdoor birds, Montesflus I have sets of blue birds in the spring, I lose my heart once again as I watch them flitter around the yard and garden. I have one house bunny named licorice, a yellow lab called storm. I just love talking to all of you, I hope I am not imposing.
One thing I would like to ask, what is the calcium vitamin d ratio?. Would you be so kind and let me know of any chewable calcium supplements with vitaming d I can take, I cannot swallow large pills. I have been taking caltrate plus, but found out it has lead in it, does that matter? I have been taking 1200mg of calcium and 400mg of vitamin d in the caltrate, plus a multi-vitamin that has 400mg of vitamin d giving me the grand total of 800mg of vitamin d- to be honest with you I just use to chew the tablet up and not give any more attention to it, but now I think I might need some counsel on the amounts. I went to the health food store and got even more confused, to many vitamins , to much choice for betty lou. Thank you for listening blessings betty lou

Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hi again wildflowers :

I take a supplement manufactured by ''Solaray''. It is a combination of Calcium Citrate (1000 mg), Magnesium, as oxide & citrate (500 mg), vit d (200 IU). I supplement the vit d with a separate pill of 400 IU. This supplement is in capsule form with a 2:1 ratio I also use Omega 3 Fatty Acids. This is not specificallt for bones, but is good for overall health and the cardiovascular system. By the way, the magnesium is VERY important to take together with the calcium!

Best of luck,

Old 02-02-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hello fellow flower lovers!!! I saw on the news this morning that the groundhog didn't see his shadow....yippppeeee!!!! Spring is just around the corner. I am so glad you're seeing the positve that the book presents. I didn't want to say too much so you'd see it for yourself. I too felt more empowered after reading it and realized that while it is something to be aware of and take care of, but not something that will rule how i live. I think every woman or man dx with osteo should read it just so they too can see that life goes on. Right now i feel like the same person i've always been and pray that i stay this way for many, many moons. Who knows what will happen down the down the road?

I love the way kids look at the world. They are a constant source of joy. Our granddaughters love to help in the garden and then harvest what they've help plant. I can't wait till their a little older so they can help me can the goodies they helped grow. have a good weekend....take care...phyllis

Old 02-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Good Morning everyone! The book, Myth of osteoporosis should be a must read for anyone newly diagnosed with osteo or being treated for it over the years. I am reading it right now and savoring each and every word. Why? because it makes sense and more importantly takes the fear out of it. To be honest with you my first encounter with this diagnosis and reading about it, (that is until I found you), the impression I received was " the sky is falling," "the sky is falling'" and my bones right with it. In my heart I knew the sky wasn't falling, but if you are told enough times, oh! yeh, it is, you start to think in a fearful way. Taking the fear out of any diagnosis immediately starts the ball a rolling toward healing. My problem when I first was diagnosed was not with my bones but with the part from the neck up. Fear in, Faith out, so the difference in my whole outlook is pretty simple, I live a very simplistic life, I keep out of my head and stay in my heart where I usually reside. The brain and mind is a wonderful computer and it will get me alot of good infomation, but it certainly isn't who betty lou is. ONE DAY AT A TIME - I can almost do anything one day at a time, not going to worry about yesterday and I certainly do not know what is ahead for tomorrow. Just enjoying my flowers, birds and friends like you. blessings betty lou (wildflowers)

Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

By george, I think she's got it!!! Have a great weekend... take care...phyllis

Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
(female)

buckeye54 HB User

hello. I enjoyed your post. Exactly WHAT are you taking in lieu of the drugs. I, too, have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, tried Fosamax awhile back and had an adverse reaaction. I need to come up with a holistic plan.
Thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi buckeye54, I tried actenol for a couple of months before deciding it wasn't for me. I am curriently taking strontium citrate to help my bones. It's a natural supplemnent that helps grow bone, that has shown to have to good results and very few side effects. I've been taking it since August and have no problems with it. I'm hoping to see improvements when i have my next DEXA. I also take extra calcium, magnesium, a multivitamin for women over 50 and fish oil. I walk daily weather permitting or do walking videos and do strenght training. Have you read The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson? Its loaded with good advice, you can find it at you library. take care...phyllis

Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

I went from Osteoporosis numbers to Osteopenia (Tscore) and healthy bones (Zscore) by taking Ezorb.

Closed Thread