It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

Helen C. HB User
Taking strontium & Fosamax both - ok?

I'm currently using both these products. Having been a kidney donor 1 year ago, I sure don't want to damage my one kidney or do anything else counterproductive. Does anyone think taking strontium and fosamax both might be a bad idea? I would ask my doctor but she knows less about strontium than we do, here on the message board.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
(male)

PikaB HB User
Re: Taking strontium & Fosamax both - ok?

Quote:
Does anyone think taking strontium and fosamax both might be a bad idea?
Until the research is done, nobody knows. (Many people thought the combo of Fosamax and Forteo would be better than just Forteo, but research found that taking both at the same time did not work well.) One web site prudently states, "Combining strontium supplementation with drug treatments cannot be recommended."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen C. View Post
I'm currently using both these products. Having been a kidney donor 1 year ago, I sure don't want to damage my one kidney or do anything else counterproductive. Does anyone think taking strontium and fosamax both might be a bad idea? I would ask my doctor but she knows less about strontium than we do, here on the message board.
It seems like you are straddling both sides of health care - allopathic and alternative. If you are taking something alternative, like strontium, why would you want to take Fosamax as well, especially since it has been shown to cause so many awful side-effects? Have you read The Myth of Osteoporosis?

Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

Helen C. HB User

I don't consider strontium to be alternative medicine. It is a prescribed treatment for osteoporosis already being widely used in other parts of the world. I recently got the lab test for bone breakdown and due to Fosamax, my bone loss has slowed way way down. It's very hard to know the right thing to do. Thank you for understanding.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen C. View Post
I don't consider strontium to be alternative medicine. It is a prescribed treatment for osteoporosis already being widely used in other parts of the world. I recently got the lab test for bone breakdown and due to Fosamax, my bone loss has slowed way way down. It's very hard to know the right thing to do. Thank you for understanding.

Helen,

Strontium can be purchased without an Rx.

I mention problems with Fosamax not only because I had them but I have heard so many others have had serious side effects as well. To my understanding, Fosamax does not create stronger bones, but more brittle ones, which can break just as easily as weak bones.

All the best

Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
(male)

PikaB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballady3 View Post
...To my understanding, Fosamax does not create stronger bones, but more brittle ones, which can break just as easily as weak bones...
If that were true, then the fracture rates would be the same, whether or not a patient used Fosamax. But repeated studies (one of the largest was the Fracture Intervention Trial, search for 8950879 at [url]www.pubmed.gov[/url]) have found that Fosamax reduces the risk of fracture in women with osteoporosis. That study found that for women who had previously experienced at least one vertebral fracture, 8% of participants taking Fosamax had new vertebral fractures, and 15% of participants taking placebo had new vertebral fractures.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaB View Post
If that were true, then the fracture rates would be the same, whether or not a patient used Fosamax. But repeated studies (one of the largest was the Fracture Intervention Trial, search for 8950879 at [url]www.pubmed.gov[/url]) have found that Fosamax reduces the risk of fracture in women with osteoporosis. That study found that for women who had previously experienced at least one vertebral fracture, 8% of participants taking Fosamax had new vertebral fractures, and 15% of participants taking placebo had new vertebral fractures.
We each must make our own choices but I would not want to do so without having all the information available about a drug, especially one as controversial as Fosamax.

While the biophosphates help prevent fractures in the hip (and they do so by laying down material, not actually strengthening the bones), they have also been shown to disrupt the natural occuring osteoblast process of bone remodeling. Because of this, there have been many cases of a condition called "bone death" in the jaws of patients using Fosamax, not to mention the other side effects! Aside from this, brittle bones are not healthy bones.

Drug companies are in the business of making money. Disclosing all the hazards of their drugs is not a priority.

Just my 2 centavos. I'm sure everyone will do what they will.

PS: Helen, if you are interested you could just do a search right here on Fosamax where there already is a wealth of information.

Last edited by music12; 02-11-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
(male)

PikaB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballady3 View Post
...there have been many cases of a condition called "bone death" in the jaws of patients using Fosamax...
"Many"? As an osteoporosis M.D. recently wrote, "To date, fewer than 20 cases of ONJ have been reported in the medical literature among patients without cancer treated with oral bisphosphonates." When you consider how many prescriptions for Fosamax have been written over the past decade, that is a very tiny amount.

I do not take Fosamax, and hope I never ever need to take it. (I take Forteo.) But Fosamax does seem to be useful for some people. In my opinion, when patients who are taking Fosamax visit this board, they should receive support, not scary tales.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Pika B,

I consider all information to be supportive, even if it is contrary to my particular beliefs. It is still information and can be used to weigh in on how I will handle my health care decisions. These boards (I believe) would not be very effective if only one side of the story was allowed to be told. Jaw necrosis resulting from biophosphates is a fact and there are (or were) many posts in these files to support that fact.

Nuf said. Be well.

Last edited by music12; 02-11-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Closed Thread