It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Little Buddy HB User
Osteoporosis and Acid Reflux

Anyone have problems with both Osteoporosis and Acid Reflux? I am on Nexium for reflux, but was told that it would make Osteoporosis worse. I also am on Fosamax. I was also told that you should not take Nexium long term, that it had not been proven safe for a long period of time. I am kind of caught in the middle. The Nexium works great on my reflux, but I am afraid to take it because of my Osteoporsis. Anyone out there with the same problem???

Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Osteoporosis and Acid Reflux

It wouldn't surprise me if your acid reflux was caused by the Fosamax. The bisphosphonate meds (Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva) are notorious for causing this particular side effect (along with many others). I don't know how long you've been on the Fosamax, but perhaps you could try something else. Another problem with the bisphosphonate class of meds is that they actually REMAIN in the system (for many years), even after coming off them - a fact many are not aware of and that the drug companies and many docs are NOT talking about! As for the Nexium, I can't really give an opinion. I suppose that as long as you're on the Fosamax, you'll need something to control the reflux. Has the Fosamax at least worked for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

That's one of main reasons that I won't take bisphosponates is because it causes stomach problems and usually you need to take the osteo medication indefinitely. I had a burning stomach just after 3 pills so I can't imagine taking it the rest of my life even though being on a PPI medication. For some people they can take Fosamax, etc., with no stomach problems short term but I'd guess that most people would have stomach problems after being on the medication long term.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
(female)

greentree HB User

I have both acid reflux and osteoporosis--the acid reflux came first several years ago. I'm on Prevacid for the reflux and was on Actonel for the osteo. I stopped the Actonel after about 8 months or so because I was having some blurred vision and a burning pain in my stomach. I do take magnesium pills and try to get my calcium from food. I also go to Curves 3 times a week and hope that it will help.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
(female)

greentree HB User

I have both acid reflux and osteoporosis. The acid reflux was diagnosed several years ago and I'm on Prevacid for that. I was on Actonel for the osteo but stopped it after about 8 months because of some blurred vision and a burning pain in my stomach. I do take magnesium pills and try to get calcium from the food I eat and I also go to Curves 3 times a week. Hope this helps you Little Buddy.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
(female)

Little Buddy HB User

Thanks. I have been on Fosamax for 11 years. I have been hearing you need to get off after 10 years. I also have been hearing that Nexium makes bone loss worse. I quite taking Fosamax 3 weeks ago. I have an appointment with the bone doctor in april for another bone scan. I will decide then what I need to do.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
(female)

Little Buddy HB User

Thanks. Do you take Prevacid everyday??? There have been reports out that these acid reducers cause bone loss problems. That is why I am afraid of the Nexium. Also, what do the magnesium pills do??????

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
(female)

Little Buddy HB User

Yes, the Fosamax improved my bones. The last time I had a bone density test. My bone mass was norman.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
(female)

Little Buddy HB User

I looked at my answer to you and saw I spelled normal wrong. Sorry.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
(female)

greentree HB User

I do take Prevacid every day and I also read that it's not good to take if you have osteoporosis. The magnesium is good for building bones and also helps with constipation.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #11
(female)

Little Buddy HB User

Do you take the magnesium everyday, and how much?? Is it in pill form or liquid? This sounds like something I could do. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Have ya'll had your calcium levels checked to see if they're elevated? Hyperparathyroidism causes high blood calcium, which in turn can cause both acid reflux and osteoporosis.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
(female)

greentree HB User

I take two magnesium pills a day (250 mg each). Since I tend to suffer from constipation the magnesium helps this as well. Good luck with whatever you try.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
Have ya'll had your calcium levels checked to see if they're elevated? Hyperparathyroidism causes high blood calcium, which in turn can cause both acid reflux and osteoporosis.
Hi: I have slightly elevated serum ionized calcium *only* and my total cal, and urinary cal always comes back normal. No one has been able to figure this out because my PTH and T3, T4 etc is always normal. I've also been tested for sarcoidosis, and various cancers which all come back negative. I do have a stomach problem but have never taken anything for acid reflux, since my problem is bloating and gas with a stomach ache.

Have you ever tried digestive enzymes for the acid reflux? Some people get help from this and I suppose some don't but it might be worth a try. Digestive enzymes are all natural and usually contain papaya extract. This won't effect your osteo, and they aren't expensive, so you might want to give it a try. There are some other natural herbs that help this as well but I can't remember the names right now, but if you go to a health food store they could tell you what I'm talking about. I've also heard of using cider vinegar for this as well, but don't know if it works, but some say it does, also the health food store could explain this as well, since I don't know what the ratio of vinegar to water is.

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 03-02-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Desert Bloom:

If you look up a Dr. Norman in Florida, he talks all about hyperparathyroid. In one section he talks about tough cases where the ionized calcium might be the only thing elevated, but it is still an enlarged parathyroid gland that needs to be removed.

Closed Thread