It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Omega-3 and bone health

The last time I was at the local supplement store to purchase an omega-3 supplement , the clerk said that another customer was told by her naturopath to take 6-7 capsules a day to help with insomnia. The other customer reported back that it really did help her. I am taking the omega-3 for cardio health benefits, but was intrigued by the info. I have researched on the net and found alot of info re treatment of depression and add with omega-3. ( In fact, recent research at Harvard used an omega -3 known as omegabrite for kids with add and found excellent results . The study stated that omegabrite sould be first trtmt rather than the chemical stuff they now prescribe. This is great . I have really felt frightened for all these kids taking so many drugs while they are developing.) I thought I would just do a search on "osteoporosis" and "omega-3" and see what would come up.

In a March 22, 2007 Scientific American article a recent study of omega-3 effect on bone density was discussed. It was found that higher levels of omega -3 fatty acids esp DHA were linked to greater bmd. It should be stated that the study involved 16-22 yr. old males. A comment was made by Oregon Health Sciences researchers that this study adds to a growing body of evidence that omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial to bone health. While I don't think that any 16-22 yr. old males are reading this healthboard, perhaps this could still be helpful for us. I wonder for those on forteo who are doing some serious bone building( hopefully) whether this would be somewhat applicable.

The article stated that perhaps the omega-3 influenced bone formation by affecting calc metabolism ,and offered other speculation. It was noted that more research is called for to further understand the test results.

There seem to be a number of reasons to take omega-3. One thing is that people should be careful that the product they purchase has been cleaned of toxins that may have been ingested by the fish.

Is anyone familiar with this area of study? Has anyone been advised to take omega-3 for bone health?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
(male)

PikaB HB User
Re: Omega-3 and bone health

The study "Ratio of n–6 to n–3 fatty acids and bone mineral density in older adults: the Rancho Ber***** Study" found that BMD was slightly improved by having a high ratio of n-3 (fish oil) to n-6 (vegetable oil). The entire article is available online.

But I think that eating fish is generally healthier and safer than taking capsules, since the oil in capsules may be rancid, is not absorbed by the body as well, etc.

Last edited by PikaB; 04-06-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Good Morning This is just some information regarding omega-3 that I am not sure alot of folks know about, it was brought to my attention when my husband had to have surgery. Omega-3 should be stopped before surgery because it is a blood thinner, my doctor said that it was more of a blood thinner than plavix or coumadin and that if you take it before surgery the blood literally spurts rather than bleeds. Moderation is the key. I would be careful to follow directions on amount to take, rather than just assume more is better, when actually to much could be a problem. I take it for my heart and bone health but not in excess. Many times before surgery they will ask you what medications you are on, but folks do not consider vitamins, omega-3 would present any problems. My doctor said that folks swallow large amounts of vitamins and anything else they hear about that may help them but the body has a natural way of surviving, help is indicated but be careful and use good ole' common sense. Blessings! Wildflowers

Old 04-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

WILDFLOWERS :

To be perfectly honest, I've NEVER heard that Omega-3 was MORE of a blood thinner than Plavix or Coumadin. But to be on the safe side, I'll check out what my own docs say with regard to this. I'll let you know. I remember once, my husband's cardiologist mentioning that it was a good idea to take Omega-3, but the ''blood-thinning'' is new to me. Obviously, more checking out to do .....

Regards,

Irene

Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Wildflowers-interesting comment regarding blood thinning function of omega-3. I did a search on the net and did find some articles mentioning this. So, as you say best to be careful in the event that you are having surgery.

I didn't see any comment regarding omega-3 to be more powerful than plavix etc. If omega -3 is more powerful, you wonder why this info wouldn't be out there. You would think that it would be cheaper than the prescription drugs and could save alot of people alot of money (including the govt.) Also, if it is such a powerful blood thinner and people don't know ,it could be dangerous for some people with certain conditions. This is something that I am going to follow up on next time I talk to my dr.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Good Morning osteoblast I was taking omega 3, a smidget more than was prescribed, and I started getting black and blue marks on me and I was told that meant it was working. The surgeon said over the counter blood thinners are more dangerous pre surgery, ( I do believe the word that was used was gushed ) they work differently than drug blood thinners such as plavix and coumadin. A friend told me that garlic was another one, all of these are perfectly acceptable, the concern is how much. Plavix and coumadin have specific jobs that they do, the make up is different I presume, amount, time released etc. When you take a prescribed drug you know exactlly the amount etc. My friend also pops vitamins like they were candy, one for each ailment she has, scares the living day-lights out of me. My husband takes plavix for stents that were placed in his heart arteries, however, he was able to have skin cancer surgery on his ear while being monitored of course while taking plavix. It is quite a balancing act. I have always felt less is more. I do believe osteoblast if over the counter vitamins for blood thinning agents were approved, it would be to complex. Folks who take coumadin, take it because they "must be monitored" blood to thin, or blood to thick could become a problem. Plavix is given after drug coated stents are placed in the artery to prevent restonsis, a real concern since recently drug coated stents were found out to be more of a problem than the original wire meshed stents. So, you can see that blood thinners play a major role in health care. Can you imagine folks going to the pharmacy, taking over the counter blood thinners for specific conditions with out monitoring dosage etc, could be quite a nightmare for them. I believe supplemental vitamins and all of that is beneficial, to much of a good thing is not a good thing.
Osteoblast, whenever I have a question regarding a drug etc I can get so many different answers from so many people, the rule of thumb for me over the years, proceed with caution and do my research.
I do not know how my mom raised me and my brothers and sisters without the computer. I would have loved to see her typing away and enjoying the friendships of healthboards etc. Then again, maybe, home made apple pies, homemade bread, freshly laundered clothes hanging out on the line, homemade clothes, would not have been a option. I still hang my clothes out to dry, make pies etc. but not each and every day of the week. I do believe my mom's bones were very strong, we ate alot of fresh caught fish (omega-3) we lived on the farm, and was so doggone busy we really didn't have much time to contemplate anything else. My grandpa said " good ole' fresh air" cured everything. My mom opened windows in the wintertime for a brief time to let fresh air in, light snow would blow in also, I thought that was pretty neat at the time. Oh well, it's nice to drift back to memories of long ago My blessings to all. Wildflowers

Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Wildflowers-Thank you for the information and the beautiful picture of your growing up on the farm. It sounds like you had a wonderful childhood.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
(female)

ktnap HB User

I'm curious...Are Omega-3 supplements different from fish oil supplements?

Since all I ever hear are the great health benefits of eating fish and I despise the taste of it, I began taking the fish oil supplements several months ago for what I believed were omega-3 benefits...?

Last edited by ktnap; 04-10-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi there! I take Omega-3 fish oil, there is a abundance of information on the health benefits, the different ways to get your omega-3 in foods etc. etc. on the web. ****** it and be prepared to find out everything you ever wanted to know regarding omega-3 supplements and fish oil. Omega -3 seems to be the new " goose who layed the golden egg " for preventative care for major medical problems. Blessings! Wildflowers

Closed Thread