HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Osteoporosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/osteoporosis/)
-   -   Medications (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/osteoporosis/488869-medications.html)

Looly 04-09-2007 08:13 PM

Medications

I just was told I need an RX for bone loss. After researching what's out there I am coming up with the idea that these medications are worse than the problem. I suffer from digestion problems and the meds, so I've read, make these problems worse, in addition to a long list of side effects that I don't desire to have. I am usually drug sensitive and can't take many. So what do I do? Has anyone found something that is natural and could do the same as these awful drugs? I refuse to take Fosamax, Evista, Actonel and Boniva. What's a woman to do?

music12 04-10-2007 04:14 AM

Re: Medications

Read [I]The Myth of Osteoporosis[/I]. Also, Ezorb is a very effective way to go and no toxic side effects. You might want to do some research on this board as well.

phylwill1152 04-10-2007 05:13 AM

Hi lolasmom, reading the [I]Myth of Ostooporosis[/I][I] will give you lots of good info and will also help put things into perspective. I found it to be very helpful After taking actenol for a couple of months and decided it wasn't the road i wanted to take. I am now taking strontium, a natural supplement, that has shown good results without the side effects fo the other drugs available. There are several threads about it on the board or you could do a search. Weight bearing exercises will also help. take care...phyllis

whitewolfee 04-11-2007 05:10 AM

[QUOTE=phylwill1152;2912027]Hi lolasmom, reading the [I]Myth of Ostooporosis[/I][I] will give you lots of good info and will also help put things into perspective. I found it to be very helpful After taking actenol for a couple of months and decided it wasn't the road i wanted to take. I am now taking strontium, a natural supplement, that has shown good results without the side effects fo the other drugs available. There are several threads about it on the board or you could do a search. Weight bearing exercises will also help. take care...phyllis[/QUOTE]
I have taken many different drugs for osteo, and none of them did much good to my bones. Now, I have been taking Forteo for almost 2 years. It has helped according to my bone test. Actually it shows I am now in the early stages of osteo )I can't remember the name of the condition). I need to see a rheumatoid doctor to see where to go from here. Has anyone gone through the drugs available and then the two years of daily shots? I also suffer from fibromyalgia which causes such terrible pain and confusion. I'd love to hear what some of you might have to say about what they do now that all the routine has been explored for osteoporosis.

naturalman 04-11-2007 08:54 AM

Ballady3,

You indicate that Ezorb is an effective alternative to any of the drugs. Can you quote or link me to any of the studies that show Ezorb actually increases bone density. The marketing from the company is one thing, but actual scientific evidence from studies is what I'd like to see in order to see if the claims made by the manufacturer of Ezorb had correct. The Ezorb website has not studies supporting their claims. Thanks.
Rob

music12 04-11-2007 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=naturalman;2914718]Ballady3,

You indicate that Ezorb is an effective alternative to any of the drugs. Can you quote or link me to any of the studies that show Ezorb actually increases bone density. The marketing from the company is one thing, but actual scientific evidence from studies is what I'd like to see in order to see if the claims made by the manufacturer of Ezorb had correct. The Ezorb website has not studies supporting their claims. Thanks.
Rob[/QUOTE]

Hi Rob,

I only have the study of myself. My dexa showed greatly increased bone density after being on Ezorb for a year. I'm now just on a maintenance dose. If you want my numbers -before and after - you can do a search on this board where you will also find others who have reported good results with Ezorb.

Aleta145 04-11-2007 09:48 AM

Hi Natural Man! File this under [B]F[/B]or [B]W[/B]hat [B]I[/B]t's [B]W[/B]orth:

A while back I was also looking for EZorb studies and I came across a trade organization dedicated to and run by electronic retailers. It's called (appropriately) Electronic Retailing Association. Part of its mission is to evaluate marketing claims made by online companies, so it has an investigative arm overseen by the National Advertising Review Council (NARC), the self-regulatory body for the advertising industry. This arm of the Association is called ERSP (Electronic Retailers Self-Regulation Program) and they investigate the studies cited in the literature to see if their claims are backed up by proof. (So much alphabet soup!):dizzy:

In 2005, the ERSP investigated Elixir Industry and recommended that they change some of the wording on their website, since there were some specific claims that weren't backed up by specific studies. Elixir Industry said they disagreed with the findings, but would consider changing their website.

This doesn't necessarily mean that EZorb doesn't work, it's just that, at that time anyway, their claims were more anecdotal than scientific. A lot of people on this board (such as Ballady3 above) swear by EZorb. I asked my endocrinologist about it and he had never heard of it. :eek:

happy4now 04-11-2007 10:23 AM

I was diagnosed with osteopenia last year. The meds that the dr prescribes scared me. I found the Ezorb website and have been on Ezorb for about 4 months now. Hopefully my next dexa will be a good one !! I'll keep you posted.. I enoy these boards ALOT. Good luck to all::

music12 04-11-2007 10:27 AM

Aleta,

Many reputable companies, selling worthwhile products, have been asked, by the watchdog entity you mention, to change the wording in their advertising. This does not mean the product does not have merit, but that the advertising needs to not mislead, according to that entities guidelines.

I doubt that an MD would be familiar with an alternative type product.

Aleta145 04-11-2007 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=ballady3;2914917]Aleta,

Many reputable companies, selling worthwhile products, have been asked, by the watchdog entity you mention, to change the wording in their advertising. This does not mean the product does not have merit, but that the advertising needs to not mislead, according to that entities guidelines. [/QUOTE]

Yes, that's why I said in my post that it doesn't necessarily mean their product doesn't work. I was responding to Natural Man's request for independent studies on EZorb. I was merely pointing out that there don't seem to be any, at least according to that watchdog entity.

montesflus 04-11-2007 11:48 PM

A question. Can EZorb be purchased in health food stores, or drug stores, or is it one of those products that only seem to be available on line?

music12 04-12-2007 02:43 AM

[QUOTE=Aleta145;2914987]Yes, that's why I said in my post that it doesn't necessarily mean their product doesn't work. I was responding to Natural Man's request for independent studies on EZorb. I was merely pointing out that there don't seem to be any, at least according to that watchdog entity.[/QUOTE]

Right. Okay.