It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Physicians' opinions on Strontium

Hello.

I would really like to hear about anyone's physician's opinion on using Strontium instead of, say, Fosamax. Are physician's starting to open their minds to this supplement, or are they against it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Physicians' opinions on Strontium

Hi: I can tell you what my Dr has said, and that is if Strontium Ranelate were approved here in the U.S. she would consider it, but she does not think Strontium Citrate works. In "her opinion" the Ranelate portion is important to the efficacy of Strontium. Her other problem with the OTC version with citrate has very little or no controls over it's production. I know that there are many taking this and that's great if it's helping and I wanted to take it as well, but didn't because it would interfere with what I'm already on (forteo).

All you can do is make the decision for yourself by weighing the risks v benefits of anything and go from there. You might want to see a nutritionist or osteopath and see what they say about it.

I personally have made no decisions on it either way, but you asked what Drs are saying and above is what I've heard from several Drs in the specialty field of osteoporosis. I wish we had some personal testimonials on SC, and that it is improving dexa scores, but I've yet to hear that.

Good Luck

Last edited by DesertBloom; 04-19-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
(male)

PikaB HB User

There is an interesting table (in the Osteologix SEC filing for 12/31/06) which compares strontium malonate (NB S101) to Strontium Ranelate, in terms of plasma strontium concentrations and dose. The standard dose of Strontium Ranelate is 2.0 grams, and a comparable plasma strontium concentration is achieved with a 1.2 gram dose of strontium malonate.
The table is here:
[url]http://www.secinfo.com/DB/SEC/2007-000/1144/204-0147/48-002.jpg[/url]

There would need to be similar testing done for strontium citrate to determine the optimal dose, and to see if strontium citrate also produced consistent increases in plasma strontium concentration. Until such testing is done, you are not likely to find any mainstream physician recommending strontium citrate.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
(female)

USAFMOM HB User

Thanks for that interesting input!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
(female)

Helen C. HB User

Hi, My doctor never heard of it until I started talking to her about it. I am getting test results back next week that will show if Strontium Citrate is helping me or not. My doctor is very curious to see, because she has low bone density too. I'll post my results, hopefully by next Friday. Helen

Old 04-21-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen C. View Post
Hi, My doctor never heard of it until I started talking to her about it. I am getting test results back next week that will show if Strontium Citrate is helping me or not. My doctor is very curious to see, because she has low bone density too. I'll post my results, hopefully by next Friday. Helen
Yes Helen, let us know. What dose are you taking and what is the exact name of the product?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Helen... Did the lab that read your DEXA have the data for making the strontium adjustments or did you have to take in the info for them? I know adjustments have to be made or you'll get a higher score than you really have. I've been taking it since August 2006 and am anxiously waiting for my next DEXA. Just think when/if yours shows good results and your dr. starts taking it, it could open her eyes and a whole new option for her patients. I'll be looking forward to hearing your scores...take care...phyllis

Old 04-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
(female)

Helen C. HB User

Dear Phyllis, This isn't a DEXA test that I just got. It is a urine test that measures the rate of bone breakdown into the urine. Strontium doesn't alter any results, according to the lab. Helen

Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
(female)

USAFMOM HB User

I read in another post recently (cannot remember which one it was) that this person asked her radiologist about this adjustment and she quoted the radiologist as saying that it was a "non-issue." Does anyone have any further info about the supposed adjustment that needs to be done on the DEXA?

Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi USAFMom: When you get your dexa, give the technician your daily dose, and how long you been taking strontium and attach the following two abstracts for strontium adjustments:

Bone. 1997 Jan;20(1):47-54

Journal Clinical Densitom. 1999 Winter;2(4):371-9

Good Luck...

Old 04-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
(female)

USAFMOM HB User

Thanks for that. I will do that. I get it done in July.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User

There was just a Canadian news release on Protelos today, well, yesterday now. A web search on "Protelos First Osteoporosis Treatment to Show Long-Term" should bring it up for you.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
(female)

USAFMOM HB User

Thank you for that!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi: Does anyone believe that Protelos (Strontium Ranelate) will ever be approved for use in the U.S? It seems if anything similar hits the market, it would be Strontium Malonate which comes in a pill instead of powder form, but the company testing this is only in Stage II trials, so we got a ways to go, before we hear anything, and then of course we don't know if it will get the FDA approval, but hopefully it will.

Of course there is the OTC version of Strontium (Strontium Citrate) that many are taking, but I just wondered if someone had heard something else that would give them the impression that Protelos would be released here in the states?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
(female)

USAFMOM HB User

I'm sorry...I cannot add anything more than what you know too. But I think it is so exciting to have a product like this that, I believe, will potentially really be a big breakthrough for osteoporosis treatment. It just frustrates the heck out of me though that it is so widely used and accepted in so many other nations across the world, except for......US!! I can only hope and pray that the OTC product we are using is the same efficacy as the prescription. I've read that there is no reason to believe that it is not the same efficacy, but then I've also heard a few opinions to the contrary. The key ingredient, the active ingredient is the strontium itself, regardless of the form. I read at one of the web sites to not get hung up on the form but rather just be sure the mg dosage is equivalent to the ranelate.

I see my Endo in 2 weeks, who was treating me with an estrogen patch for bone preservation postmenopause. I discontinued the patch myself 2 weeks ago; however, yesterday her office called to tell me to stop the patch because of an abnormal finding on my mammogram. I didn't tell her that I was already off of it. I will be eager to tell her my regimen of strontium and Bone-Up for bone preservation. She is a European doctor and I am hoping she is up on the latest European medical news. I will let you all know what she says. Thanks again!

Closed Thread