It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Celiac Testing and Osteoporosis

Hi everybody-It's the celiac topic again. I was doing some research at National Foundation for Celiac Awareness and found some important information. They cited an article in the Archives of Internal Medicine 2005 regarding finding a much higher incidence of celiac in those diagnosed with osteoporosis. The conclusion of the researchers was that EVERYONE diagnosed with osteoporosis should be tested for celiac.

My then primary care physician who diagnosed my osteo did not advise testing for celiac. I didn't find him helpful at all and pursued other help and was tested for celiac. My celiac situation is again being reviewed because of testing positive on a test not done the first time and nutrional deficiencies found.

Is everyone here with a diagnosis of osteoporosis being tested for celiac? If not, you should request such testing and if necessary take the article cited above to your dr.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CrohnieToo HB User
Re: Celiac Testing and Osteoporosis

What is the sense of being tested for celiac if one is not experiencing any symptoms??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrohnieToo View Post
What is the sense of being tested for celiac if one is not experiencing any symptoms??
Celiac Disease can present itself with so many varying symptoms. There are quite a few people who have the disease and are completely unaware of it.

The studies are saying that 3-4% of patients with osteoporosis have it as a result of undiagnosed/untreated Celiac Disease. If that is the case, the best way to start to reverse their bone loss is to go on a gluten free diet.

For some people that have Celiac Disease and don't know it, their only symptom might be anemia.
PCOS

Last edited by morrisun; 05-07-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

As morrisun stated the literature indicates that a person may have no obvious symptoms of celiac disease. Some may have gastrointestinal issues , others may not. Mayo at their site lists some less obvious symptoms such as anemia, fatigue, depression , joint pain, muscle cramps etc.

So, it could be that the diagnosis of osteoporosis may be the person's first evidence of their celiac disease. Since the incidence of celiac is up to 3x greater among those with osteoporosis than it is in the general population, the researchers in the above-indicated study made the recommendation that all diagnosed with osteoporosis have the blood tests for celiac. And if celiac is diagnosed then the gluten free diet will be prescribed and progress monitored with diagnostic testing. Another instance of what you don't know could hurt you. For those of us diagnosed with osteoporosis it seems best to get the additional information offered by the celiac blood panel.

Did your dr. order the celiac blood panel when you were diagnosed with osteoporosis? I wonder what percent of doctors are actually ordering the tests. If you feel like it , why not share your experience and we will then get a sense of how well our drs. are doing .

Last edited by osteoblast; 05-07-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi All: I had the celiac blood test based on my own research. I've been having GI probs, and checked to see if I was lactose intolerant, and decided to have the test for gluten. I asked my Endo to order it, since he hadn't mentioned it, and after I did, he said he was glad I thought about it since he forgot to test me for it. My osteo Dr didn't think of it either so, I did it solely on my own, so to speak. I have to say that I think my mother had a gluten intolerance, but I'm not positive. My mother complained of being allergic to wheat etc, but I didn't pay much attention to it. She passed away 10 years ago, so there wasn't an apportunity to talk to her about it.

My test came back negative, so I can at least rule out some secondary causes of osteo. If it had come back positive, it would have given me the opportunity to treat that and possibly increase my bmd, plus hopefully reduce the GI probs. I'm glad I don't have it, because the diet seems very restrictive, but at least I don't have to think about that possibility anymore.

It's a simple test to start with, and I would recommend it if you haven't been tested, if only to ease your mind, plus there seems to be a lot of non symptomatic people out there, with it.

Closed Thread