It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

nanerlblue HB User
Unhappy Forteo and loss of teeth

I took forteo in 2004 and 2005. During the time I was taking it I fell a lot and actually suffered two broken bones. I also suffered a pseudo dementia which went away after I stopped taking forteo. Before I took forteo I had my teeth checked and during of course. The dentist told me that my teeth were perfect. I had only one cavity in my entire life. Immediately after I completed forteo, I began to lose my teeth. My calcium has been eaten away and my gums are receding. My oral surgeon is booked until June 2008. By that time I will have very few teeth left. I believe that this is connected to forteo, which took calcium from blood and teeth, in order to build up my bones. I do not think that forteo was worth the loss of teeth and I hope that the medical profession will soon list this as a side effect. Please let me know if you have had a similar experience.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Forteo and loss of teeth

Hi Nanerlblue: Welcome... I've never heard of these types of probs with Forteo or Requip, and I've been taking Forteo for 13 months. I have 2 teeth that need to be pulled, not breaking off, but the problems started several years before I started on the Forteo and I've never taken Requip. Do you have any idea which med you think is causing it?

I've done a lot of reading on Forteo and haven't heard this complaint, but I'll keep an eye out for it just in case. Let us know how it goes. When you stopped the Forteo did the problem stop?

Good luck with all this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've never heard of this as a side effect of forteo either. In fact, my teeth improved while I was on it and I didn't have any cavities. I think that I didn't loose any bone in my teeth during treatment but now my problems are starting up again.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

nanerlblue HB User

I want to hear from people who had this loss of teeth. Remember that this happened directly after I finished forteo. I had had only one cavity my entire life. My cardiologist confirmed the loss of calcium due to use of parathyroid hormone which is what forteo is. To go in a short time from one cavity (when at that time the dentist told me I had twenty-five year old teeth) was an horrendous adjustment. I have a friend who had all of these problems. In two years I went from 25 year old teeth to 85 year old teeth when I was only 65. I do not see that I said anything about requip. (I am interested in the way in which you may have thought that I took or did not take requip.) I only desire to hear from people who have had a similar problem to me. How nice that it may have worked for you. It ruined my bones, my equanimity, and my teeth. Not a wonderful event.
nanerlblue.

Last edited by nanerlblue; 07-14-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Naner... Well good luck, I just haven't heard of this happening to anyone, but I'm sure if it has, you'll be hearing from them shortly What does the dr say about this??? Maybe you could call Eli Lily and ask them if anyone has reported this side effect.

You mention the loss of teeth and requip in another post, so from what you said, it sounded like they were related.

Sorry for all your problems and I hope you find a solution to it!!!

Good luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-14-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

tjmarks HB User

Naner I know this sounds crazy, but when I was in my 30's I was diagnosed with osteopenia, and my teeth seemed to be in pretty bad shape. I was not on any medication. I had hyperparathyroidism, calciurea, and osteopenia. I went to the best docs at Yale and did all of their tests which showed nothing. I eventually through a fluke had our well water tested and it had high levels of uranium and radium. The body takes in uranium as calcium and the radium effects the teeth. After I stopped drinking the well water, my bones started to get better. I noticed you live in the west, where much of my research has shown many areas of high uranium. It might be worth a check into your water. It would not surprise me if many people with osteopenia or osteoporosis out there have been consuming tainted well water and not know it. We drank it for 6 years at over 1200 picocuries per liter; the max by government standards is 15 or 30 picocuries per liter.

Just an idea. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Naner, I don't have any answers for you as I have never taken any of the osteoporosis drugs, but I did want to tell you how sorry I feel for you. I have always had teeth problems - one of the main reasons I did not take things like Fosamax and Actonel. In fact, I have just had two molars extracted due to infections. I have a bottom partial and now will require a top one, so I do so understand how you are feeling about the loss of teeth.

I also understand your frustration with this issue if it is due to the drugs. Two months ago I went through a terrible bout of kidney stones due to an excess of calcium - supplements all my doctors recommended. I was very upset and angry at the time as what I went through seemed so unnecessary. If only the doctors had given me more advice as to how to take calcium, how much to take, how to combine it with your diet, and what the risks were.

So, while I can not really help as I have not taken the things you have, I did want you to know that someone understands the teeth problems and understands your frustration, pain, and sadness. I hope you find your answers very soon and that you have good dental care. I hope this will make you feel a little better, but both my parents lost their teeth in their 50's despite good dental hygiene (great teeth genes we have!) and they both eat and function just fine. All the best to you and sending good thoughts.

glowing4

Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
(female)

plc HB User

Hi nana, I have just started the road to dental problems, my peridontist has refer to osteo drugs as a dentists nightmare. In fact, my mom who is 80 has been advise to start taking osteo drugs, when she question the effect on teeth,her doctor stated,at 80 don't worry about your teeth,however I would not give these meds to a patient in their 50's because of that dental side effect. Now I have look in to this,(being in my 50's) and this side effect is becoming more and more because the last 10 years osteo drugs have been pushed, by tv,media etc. and now they are learning all the long term side effects. It does put us in a strange delimia, bulid up bones, lose teeth....

Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
(female)

suzyque1 HB User

I just started Forteo for severe osteoporosis, and requip for rls, I have never had a cavity in my life. When did you notice a problem with your teeth. I go to my Cardio Dr today I plan to ask about the tooth lose as my bottom two right teeth are now loose.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
(female)

plc HB User

My problems with my teeth have just started. Always go to the dentist every 4mo. Never had as problem till this year. The one I had removed was also loose. The infection had gone to far and with osteo not much bone left to help it. My dentist told me if I had stay on the osteo meds for a yr. He could not do an implant. These meds cause a severe problem with your jaw.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
(male)

naturalman HB User

I saw my alternative MD yesterday, and he's treating me for the severe osteoporosis that I have. I was on Forteo for about 7 months when a blood and urine test revealed that the Forteo was increasing my bone resorption, my NTx was extremely high, and I loss an extreme amount of Vitamin D. I went off the forteo immediately, and was put on 10,000 units of Vitamin D3. After a few months, my blood tests were more normalized, as well as my Vitamin D. I told my alt doctor about your situation about the teeth, and the first thing he said was that he thought that the Forteo was causing your Vitamin D to go down like it did for me, and that may be the reason you are finding problems now with your teeth. I would immediately have a Vitamin D test and see where you are. The other thing that bothered me was how much bone resorption there was, which also may be affecting teeth. I chose not to go back on Forteo based on these tests, and instead have been taking HGH injections and Strontium, as well as other supplements that are indicated for osteoporosis. So have a blood test and check for your Vitamin D level, and while your doing that, also have a Bone specific Alk test and NTx urine test for bone turnover and bone resorption. Let us know what happens.
Rob

Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

nanerlblue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalman View Post
I saw my alternative MD yesterday, and he's treating me for the severe osteoporosis that I have. I was on Forteo for about 7 months when a blood and urine test revealed that the Forteo was increasing my bone resorption, my NTx was extremely high, and I loss an extreme amount of Vitamin D. I went off the forteo immediately, and was put on 10,000 units of Vitamin D3. After a few months, my blood tests were more normalized, as well as my Vitamin D. I told my alt doctor about your situation about the teeth, and the first thing he said was that he thought that the Forteo was causing your Vitamin D to go down like it did for me, and that may be the reason you are finding problems now with your teeth. I would immediately have a Vitamin D test and see where you are. The other thing that bothered me was how much bone resorption there was, which also may be affecting teeth. I chose not to go back on Forteo based on these tests, and instead have been taking HGH injections and Strontium, as well as other supplements that are indicated for osteoporosis. So have a blood test and check for your Vitamin D level, and while your doing that, also have a Bone specific Alk test and NTx urine test for bone turnover and bone resorption. Let us know what happens.
Rob
Thank you for your reply. I will be seeing the endocrinologist next week and I will keep you posted. Nancy N.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

nanerlblue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmarks View Post
Naner I know this sounds crazy, but when I was in my 30's I was diagnosed with osteopenia, and my teeth seemed to be in pretty bad shape. I was not on any medication. I had hyperparathyroidism, calciurea, and osteopenia. I went to the best docs at Yale and did all of their tests which showed nothing. I eventually through a fluke had our well water tested and it had high levels of uranium and radium. The body takes in uranium as calcium and the radium effects the teeth. After I stopped drinking the well water, my bones started to get better. I noticed you live in the west, where much of my research has shown many areas of high uranium. It might be worth a check into your water. It would not surprise me if many people with osteopenia or osteoporosis out there have been consuming tainted well water and not know it. We drank it for 6 years at over 1200 picocuries per liter; the max by government standards is 15 or 30 picocuries per liter.

Just an idea. Good luck!
Thank you for your comments. I will be seeing my endochronologist next week and I will keep you posted. Like you I went to the dentist often and never had anything wrong with my teeth but one filling at 59. Then they said I had the teeth of a twenty-five year old. I will keep you posted. Thank you for your comments. Nancy Nau

Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

nanerlblue HB User

Thank you for your comments and good ideas. I am going to see the endochrinologist next week and I will keep you posted. Thank you. Nancy Nau

Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

nanerlblue HB User
Cool Re: Forteo and loss of teeth

Thanks to all of you who made very significant and meaningful comments about my dilemma with forteo. I am thinking of a class action suit against Eli Lilly who never mentioned all of the severe and long term side effects about this medicine. If anyone cares to go along on the class action suit with me let me know. Nancy Nau: I wanted to put the big grin icon on this but that function is not working on my browser. Hopefully my teeth will be fixed so that I can grin again. The icon above shows how I must smile now, with my shades on and no teeth showing. I used to have a great smile and I want it back again. Nancy

Closed Thread