It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
Fasting necessary?

Just was wondering, if anyone knows-- do I need to fast for the parathyroid hormone intact blood test? I read somewhere that 4 hours of fasting is needed, but my bloodwork paper doesn't say anything about fasting.
Thanks!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Fasting necessary?

Hi: I would call the Dr and ask. I don't think I ever fasted, but you should check with the Dr anyway. Sometimes they will have you stop taking calcium for other tests, but that wouldn't apply here. Just give them a call and if you can't get the Dr, then call the lab. This is a pretty common test to check your calcium and pth levels.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Elphers , when I had a question I called the lab. They wouldn't say what to do and said I had to call the dr. Calling your doc's office would be best. And when you go to the lab you can tell them if you fasted or not. I have seen on lab reports where they indicate whether you fasted or not, it might help to interpret results or maybe they use fasting and non fasting ranges--I don't know.

DesertBloom- you mentioned for some tests you were told not to take cal. --what were those tests in your experience ? I haven't heard this for anything except the dexa.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Elphers and Osteo: The lab always ask's me if I've fasted or not on every test I have and indicates it on the report like Osteo said. At the lab I go to they will tell me whether or not I have to fast for a particular test, so it may be different at each lab. I prefer to hear it from the dr, but I'v been in situations where the lab disagreed with the dr and then I did what the dr said. My problem is my dr is only in on Fridays and it isn't that easy to get through to them even on that day so hopefully you don't have a situation like that, where you're waiting on an answer and stalling the test indefinitely like I did a couple of times.

Osteo: After I got my first elevated ionized Ca test back, they stopped my calcium intake. The reason I was given was to get an accurate accounting of the ciruculating Ca without the additional supplements. They were trying to see if I was over dosing on Ca I guess. By stopping the Ca they could tell if my Ca was naturally high or artificially high from the supplements.

Good luck on the test...

Closed Thread