It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
understanding dexa scan results

I just got a call from my new Endo's office. The nurse said that my "Total" T score is -1.1. What is that and what does that mean? I asked her about my lumbar T score and she said that it has gotten worse. I believe my Dexa scan a year ago was -2.5 and now it is -2.8.
But I'm not sure about my first number. She said just to make sure that I keep my appointment in August.
Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: understanding dexa scan results

Hi Elphers: Could you get a copy of the dxa when you see the dr.??? Your total t-score is good, but the other numbers indicate osteoporosis. If those other scores are accurate, then you would go with the lowest (most recent) number to determine your dx. Didn't you post before about these numbers, where I explained what they meant or are these new dxa scores?? Are you on any medication? Didn't you ask about forteo? If so did you find out if your insurance will pay for it?

Here's a link that explains the t-scores:

[url]http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmd.html#WHO[/url]

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

elphers HB User

Desert,
This is from a new dexa scan that I just had on Monday. How could my total score be good but I have osteoporosis? I only take Calcium with Vitamin D. This new Endo Dr. said after this Dexa scan plus blood work that I had, then she will discuss what I should take. She mentioned briefly after my first appointment about the forteo shots. I still have to check with my insurance if that is the route she goes.
Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-18-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: please do not clog threads with quotes - use the "Quick Reply" button instead

Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Elphers: I'm a little stumped as well, that's why I asked if you could get your dxa, and if the numbers were accurate, like maybe a mistake was made writting it down or the nurse misrelayed the actual score etc, etc.

I can't answer your question, you'll have to find out from the dr. However, I have seen scores where one area is "osteopenia" like your score of -1.1 and then another area is worse with a -2.5 which is "osteoporosis".

So until you can speak with the dr, and get the actual report, you won't have it in black and white, which is the only way I like seeing it. You could call again and have the nurse relay the numbers again for each.

1. Total hip
2. Neck/Troch
3. Lumbar spine (L1-L2)
4. Total lumbar spine

When you say total t-score do you mean total hip or spine? or did you have one of those new scans that one of the other posters mentioned where they give you a total body score? If it's the later I don't know any thing about those. But if it was a total hip or spine score, it only means one of those two areas is worse than the other, but I can't tell, which, from what you said.

Good luck, maybe they could mail the dxa report so you can read it before the appt so you have your questions ready when you see the dr?? If you have a fax they could do that as well. When I had my last dxa they gave me the print out before I left, plus they mailed me a second copy after the radiologist looked at it.

Good luck hope you get it figured out, but I suspect it's probably just two different readings from two different areas which isn't unusual. You can be osteopenic in one area and osteoporotic in another and they go with the lowest number for the dx.

Closed Thread