It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

taiga HB User
Post Osteoporosis penia

I am trying to find out any information about Osteoporosis penia. My 57 yr old mother was just told that she has that. She is on Fosomax. And I am also looking for the information for persomal resons. I am 33 yrs old and had a hysterectony in Jan of this year. I am on Avonex, but I also have Multiple Sclerosis, and have a hard time remembering to take my medication.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you

Taiga

Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Osteoporosis penia

Hi taiga: Does your mother have both osteoporosis and osteopenia? If so, osteoporosis is considered substantial bone loss and is categorized as a bone disease, and osteopenia is normal bone loss due to age, but it's not considered a disease. Below is a link to the Univ of WA bone physiology course that is very comprehensive on all aspects of osteoporosis and osteopenia. You can find out about both conditions there, what steps should be taken to treat both, which medications are available, and how to read dxa scans.

The link takes you to the explanation of t-scores, but after you read the page you can scroll to the bottom and go to their home page which will give you many links to answers about these two conditions.

Is you mother doing okay with the fosamax? No problems with her stomach?

If you've had a hysterectomy, you need to take preventative measures so you don't get osteoporosis as well. Early meno is one of the main contributors to bone loss, but exercise, if your able, bone vitamins, and weight bearing routines will help to prevent this bone loss which is normal for most as they age.

Good luck... If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. The link is very long but I strongly recommend reading the whole course, it's filled with important info. Most of your questions can be answered at this site.

Normal t-score is anything better than -1.0
Osteopenia is any score between -1.0 and -2.5
Osteoporosis is any score less than -2.5
Severe or Established Osteoporosis is a t-score of -2.5 plus the presence of a fragility fracture.

[url]http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmd.html#WHO[/url]

I'm not familiar with avonex, is it a ms med? I hope you are doing okay with this, but unfortunately this board doesn't cover ms. If you check some of the other boards I'm sure you'll find one on it specifically by clicking "health issues" link at the top of the page.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread