It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

starfish81 HB User
Lightbulb Strontium info

Hi Everyone-last night I was doing some internet research on Strontium (am seriously considering taking it-waiting first of all for my appointment with the new endocrinologist in town-who'd better not push a script for anything at me ). Anyway, I've noticed some questions about "calibrating" the DEXA machine differently for strontium users. Wish I could remember the site, but apparently the way it works is whatever % gain in BMD you get, consider half of it due to the strontium crystals' appearance and half of it actual increase in BMD. All my DEXA printouts have given a percentage (always losses in my case ) so just take half of whatever % they say you've gained.
Also, the non-Rx strontium aparently comes in citrate, lactate, and gluconate forms. Although the only one I've been able to find available on-line is the citrate form, research states that the gluconate form is the most readily absorbed.
Have any of the strontium users on these boards been able to locate this in gluconate form?
Thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Strontium info

Hi starfish81...your right all the ones i've seen for sale online are the citrate from too. Is there a reason you are looking for the gluconate form?

When i had a DEXA lst month i was told by my dr. to stop taking the strontium for 30 days before the scan. I did this, but still don't understand why...if its in your bones its in your bones, while it may be out of your sytem its still present. I've never seen/read about a 50% accurate figure before ( i thought it was more like a 10% overestimate), but even if 50% accurate is accurate i still have a gain that i can build on. If you remember where you read that info please post it.

When you see the new endo take any info on strontium with you. Most likely he won't be familiar with it and you'll have to educate him. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

starfish81 HB User

Hi Phylwill-I'd like to find the gluconate form only because it's apparently better absorbed than the citrate. But if it's unavailable, I'd go with the citrate.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

STARFISH81:

Hi. Do you remember where you found the info about Strontium Gluconate being easier to absorb than Strontium Citrate - I must admit I never read that before.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

I would be most interested in the Gluconate form as well. I took strontium for several years, but a bout of kidney stones has me scared to take it again. I can't find any information linking it to kidney stones, but as I never had a problem with this before and calcium and strontium are similar on the chemical charts, I am very leary of starting up again. I also have stopped taking calcium supplements per doctor's orders. I feel very bad about stopping the strontium as I do feel it is a very good choice for osteoporosis. I would certainly be interested in a form that is absorbed better.

glowing4

Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
(female)

starfish81 HB User

Tell you what: I'll try and find the exact website re: strontium gluconate, but it may take me a few days (this is a busy week). I do remember a naturopath I saw a few years ago mentioning that the gluconate/glycinate form of many minerals is the most absorbable.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
(female)

karin6167 HB User

can someone tell me what changes need to be done to a DEXA report if you are taking strontium? Or, if there is a place I can read about it that would be appreciated as well.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI karin...there are adjustments that need to made to get an accurate reading, but i have never been able to find a good source of that info. You can get an overestimated reading of anywhere from 10% to more. When i had a DEXA in June i was told by my dr. to stop taking it for 30 days then have the scan, which i did. He never told me where he got the info, but i will ask him again when i see him in Nov. I took the scores i got and figured if they were even a third to half right there was still an improvement from the previous scan done a year before. I think the only way to get the adjustments would be from Europe or anywhere else strontium renalate is used and measured with a DEXA scan. One radiologist i contacted for info called the makers of the DEXA machines and ask them for the info..he was told that they had them, but couldn't give out that info in good faith. I don't understand the secrecy or if i was just being given the run around. Hopefully as more and more people start using it that the info will become available. take care...phyllis

Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Karin..i'll see the dr. for a 6 month checkup and try to find out where he got the info from. He did say he had the article in my file. I haven't really discussed the result of the DEXA with him, so i'll be doing that too. I'm anxious to hear what he has to say about the improvements and what his feelings on strontium are now since he now knows it works. The best news would be that he is suggestiong it to patients as an alternative to the drugs. If i find out anything i'll be sure to address a post to you. have a good week..take care..phyllis

Last edited by moderator2; 09-30-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Closed Thread