It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

'word!' HB User
Dislocated Rib - What has worked for you?

My mother has advanced Osteoporosis. I'm afraid I do not have all her facts and figures. She has been on various treatments over the last few years.

She recently dislocated a rib and has been in excruciating pain. This happened last weekend. Her doctor prescribed narcotic pain meds, and muscle relaxant, both of which make her very dizzy.

She has not been able to sleep for very long at all.
Only today (Mon.) has she been able to go for the prescribed MRI.

What I'm wondering is if any of you have had this happen before and if so what worked for you?

I know it varies greatly from person to person. From what I've read physical therapy, or chiropractic is the only option. Yet not an option for her, because of how brittle her bones are.
I thought I would ask around for suggestions she could run by her Dr. in case he adopts the wait and see approach.

Sorry all this is a little vague...but do you have any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
(male)

naturalman HB User
Re: Dislocated Rib - What has worked for you?

Dear Word,

I also have servere osteoporosis, and I had some problems with my ribs. As you say, chiropractic adjustments are out of the question. I received prolotherapy injections in the affected area and it has helped with the problem. I am still going for treatment, but so far has helped. Prolotherapy helps build new ligament tissue around injuried areas and stablizes the injured area so pain is reduced or eliminated. If your interested, let me know what state you live in and I can tell you a site to find a prolotherapist in your area that is proficient in the treatment.
Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

'word!' HB User

I don't know what that is, can you explain more about it?

My mother lives in South Florida.
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
(female)

'word!' HB User

Thanks for your reply thus far!
I have to say that treatment sounds interesting and at the same time risky. Not from side affects but from someone who might make a mistake with that needle! (yikes)
I'm glad it's working for you however! My mother also prefers natural treatments.

By way of some additional background she is 61 but has been told she has the bones of an 80+ yr. old.

At some points she was told her bones are like swiss cheese (full of holes).
I know she has been taking calcium supplements and has tried so many meds I can't keep track. I believe that presently she is on Fosomax.

The "dislocated rib" I mention was called that by her Dr. I believe because the rib itself is not fractured. However it is "no longer attached to the spine".
She is presently seeing a Rheumatology/Internal Medicine Group and was also under the care of a Dr. specializing in Bio-identical hormones. Her insurance will not cover the Mayo clinic.

She never received treatment for her menopausal symptoms, and presently has been reported to be so far gone her body doesn't know what to do with the treatment she's getting. (bio-identical) She has really really dry, skin with large brown areas (etiology unknown). She has been for years very very tender to the lightest touch. Has been tested for Lupus, uncertain diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, and a long long history of Migraines.

Last edited by 'word!'; 08-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
(male)

naturalman HB User

Word,

Prolotherapy is considered Alternative medicine, but has started to become more accepted since retired US Surgeon General Everret Koop has endorsed the treatment, since it saved his medical career because of back problems he had incurred, and only Prolotherapy helped him regain his strength again. I've never heard of anyone that went to a certified prolotherapist being hurt by the treatment. There are not alot of doctors in this country that are performing this treatment. If your mother is suffering from a dislocated rib, I know that has to be very painful, since I've had similar problems, and know how painful it is. I'm 62, and have had severe osteoporosis for many years now. Prolotherapy has helped me so that I can continue to work and function. I live in NJ and I travel a good distance accross my state to see a qualified prolo doctor, not just any doctor, but a doctor who specializes in this procedure and most of his patients he provides this treatment to. I don't know of any other treatment that may help your mother, and I can imagine how much pain your mother is in if the rib is dislocated from the spine--every movement brings pain, I know this. I would encourage you to do some research on the internet about this treatment and see a qualified prolotherapist in Florida for a consultation. Your mother is not that old, and believe me she has the bones of a 61 year old, not a 80 year old. When a doctor tells you that your bones are older than you are, he is only referring to the amount of bone loss, not the quality of the bone for her age. I know young women who have severe osteoporosis, but what bone they have is much better than an 80 year old, and is still stronger than an 80 year old. Also, if you tell someone that they have the skeleton of an 80 year old, in their mind they will believe it and make things worse. First of all, Your mother needs to get help from the pain she's enduring from the dislocation so she can live more comfortably. If I can be of anymore help, please let me know, and I wish you and your mother well.

Rob

Last edited by moderator2; 08-10-2007 at 05:49 AM. Reason: no discussion of moderator actions, as per the posting policy

Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Naturalman: I'm really interested in prolotherapy, but I wondered if you could tell me exactly what problems you got this treatment for?

I've had 7 spinal surgeries and have chronic pain in the neck, thoracic, lumbar, buttocks/tail bone, knees, rt leg and feet. I also have ddd, stenosis, severe osteo arthritis, sacroiliac joint disfunction, ankylosing spondolitis, sciatica, osteoporosis-oh that's enough info. Could I get help from this treatment? I wouldn't say that I have any particular tendon probs, but have muscle, nerve and bone pain. I guess with arthritis the tendons are involved.

Do insurance cos pay for this type of treatment? I have Medicare and have tried just about every non surgical treatment for the back/muscles and nerves you can think of, except radio frequency ablation.

TIA

Last edited by DesertBloom; 08-10-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Word: I hope you mom finds something soon to help out the pain and to solve her problem. Does her Rheumy have any suggestions for treatment?

Good Luck in finding something to help

Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
(male)

naturalman HB User

DesertBloom,

Prolotherapy is for unstable joints and support ligaments/tendons. If a particular joint or support tissue is not doing its job to support the structure, it will translate to chronic pain on various type of movements. For instance, when I was young, I had a gymnastic accident and cracked a cervical vertebra in my neck. I suffered with a certain amount of pain and headaches thereafter, and finally in 1989, a friend suggested prolotherapy. I went to a doctor located in Pa. that was well experienced in the procedure, and after 9 treatments, my headaches disappeared and I had new renewed strength in my neck. I also had a support problem in my right scapular due to sports, and I am finally being treated for it in the intercostal ligaments of my ribs that attach to the spine. I'm hoping for the best, since I've gotten some relief from the chronic pain, but it takes a number of treatments. Hearing of all the surgery that you've had and the other problems, I think prolo can help r******** the structures that are now failing you. Some insurance companies pay for it, but most only cover a certain percentage. Mine pays about 50%. Prolotherapy gets at the root cause of the pain, it doesn't just cover up the pain like drugs do. It builds new ligament tissue around the areas of weakness that is causing the pain. Do some research on the internet. If I can help you any other way, please let me know.

Rob

Old 08-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
(female)

'word!' HB User

So, apparently after all the muscle relaxants and the movement getting on/off the table for the MRI (which was excruciating btw)...somehow I guess it went back on it's own.

She's already so much better.

Someone here suggested Dr. Susan Ott. I contacted her earlier on and the reply was dismissive. Maybe others have better success.

Closed Thread