It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

jenn3 HB User
body is not absorbing vitamin d

A few months ago i found out i am vitamin d deficient. My level was 16. I started taking supplements; 400 iu 3x's per day and took another blood test and my level was up to 26. Now 12 weeks later i just took another blood test and have been still taking my supplements and my level is now 20. I do not drink any milk, but i have been drinking lots of orange juice with extra calcium and d all day long and i am in the sun practically everyday. I cannot understand this. My dr. is on vacation the covering dr called and told me this. I was hoping not to have to take prescription vitamin d, but i am sure that is what is going to have to be. I just am worried what if that doesn't work either.
Any input on this i would appreciate

Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: body is not absorbing vitamin d

If you know that your getting enough Vit D in your diet, and you get enough sunlight everyday then you might want to look into some malabsorption problems like Celiac Disease. Good luck!
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Jenn-check out the vitamindcouncil website about recommended doses of vitamin d. There are some very prominent doctors who think that the current daily recommended amount is totally inadequate. I am a person who has had to go to 5,000IU a day under doctor supervision. So don't freak out that something is hugely wrong with you. I think it may be a good idea to have celiac checked out. In my case I had the blood tests and an endoscopy with biopsies taken to rule out celiac. If you rule out malabsorption then maybe you and your doctor should see if dose adjustment works. Some on this board, myself included, have been given prescription 50,000IU one time a week to get the d level up.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
(female)

jenn3 HB User

thanks for the responses. I do feel a little better knowing that other people have had to go on high doses of "d". I did check out celiac disease and will talk to my dr about being tested for it. The covering dr did ask me if there is that in my family. Osteoblast, why if you do not have celiac is it hard for you to absord vitamin d?? And with the high dose of "d" are your levels better now?? I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions.
thanks again and i will check out that website
Jennifer

Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Jenn- No problem with your asking these questions. If you research the vit d issue you will see that in the northern latitudes , many if not most people are vit. d deficient during the winter months and the situation improves during the summer, but again there is a decline in the winter months. This is not to say it is ok to just be in the deficient state, there should be adequate supplementation. So, you don't have to have a malabsorption issue to have a vit d deficiency. Also as we age we are less efficient in obtaining our vit d from sunlight. If you go to the vit d council website this is explained. Also as indicated before, there are acclaimed phds and mds who specialize in vit d research who think that the standard recommended dose for vit d is just too low. Also at the vitamindcouncil site they include research that is being done regarding the role of vit d deficiency in various diseases/conditions incl. osteoporosis, ms, some cancers, depression, mental illness etc.Get the celiac angle checked out , but know you are far from alone in having low d and some would say that your dose of 1200IU a day was just inadequate to raise your level.

I do not think it was just my low d that got the dr. interested in celiac testing. My blood tests also showed low iron and I do have osteoporosis-so the doc thought maybe malabsorption was involved. But it turned out not to be. I think that my iron was low because of my vegetarian diet. And the d was found to be low in Feb and March but it had been ok in July and August . Did you check your seasonal results on the vit d test?And, do you have low iron, or anemia?

Yes, with the high dose of vit d I got my level to move from 19 to 45. I recently went through a gastrointestinal upset and had diarrhea for approx. 3 weeks. My d level dropped after this to 23.9. My doc did every test possible to find the cause of the diarrhea but nothing found and it stopped . I am now thinking it was perhaps one of my supplements that did this and I am trying to slowly go back to my supplement routine and see if something triggered the gi upset. During that time I was not nauseated nor did I have a fever.
I think that when I had the diarrhea I just wasn't able to use the vit d I was taking. So now I need to build up the d level again. Sorry to share the details but maybe it will help you understand how the level could vary and the factors possibly involved. Oh and one other point, I am on forteo for the osteoporosis and I recently noticed on the info with the prescription that they found that d levels go down while on forteo.

Last edited by osteoblast; 08-15-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
(female)

jenn3 HB User

thanks osteoblast for sharing your story with me.
I also checked out that website and it was very informative.
With me i am just very surprised that my level didn't go up from my last blood test in april because since then with the summer sun i figured all my days at the beach would definitely be beneficial and it's gotten worse since then. Well, i will just have to wait and see what the dr says for me to do.
stay well

Closed Thread