It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

starfish81 HB User
Vitamin K2

Another question: have any of you out there taking K2 for your osteoporosis been warned about blood clots? I mentioned to my massage therapist that I was taking it and she told me to be careful. Today I saw the acupuncturist, and she told me the same thing. She said if I'm going to take it, I should perhaps consider every other day as opposed to daily. She also told me to drink lots of water to minimize the potential of cardiovascular/cerebrovascular incidents.
Just thought I'd share this; now I'm feeling uneasy about taking it

Old 09-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Vitamin K2

Hi Starfish: You're taking OTC K2 right? Can you tell me how many mgs you're taking?

Vitamin K in rx form is used to clot blood and also raise your platelet count. The rx form is much stronger than K2, and I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between K2 and K, but it does thicken the blood.

I've had bleeding probs, as has my husband, and my husband was on vit K because he was bleeding a lot. The reasoning for him to take it was to clot the blood because he was bleeding spontaneous, and bruising. You do have to be careful, and I would ask your dr what mg is safe for you, and if you've had any PTT, or Platelet counts lately. All vitamins need to be watched because they can have unwanted side effects and a good example is potassium. If you take too much potassium you can cause a heart attack. I don't mean to scare you but all things you put into your body, even things like vitamins, especially the fat soluble type shouldn't be taken beyond the RDA for it.

Because I've had some scares with clots, I have to watch the amount of K I take. It is good for your bones, but dangerous in excess, like many things.

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 09-07-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

starfish81 HB User

[QUOTE=DesertBloom;3197504]Hi Starfish: You're taking OTC K2 right? Can you tell me how many mgs you're taking? QUOTE]

Yes, I ordered it on-line. It's 15mg of K2 (Menatetrenone). Of note, the bottle also says this is 12500% of the RDI. I have no history of bleeding/clotting disorders, and my last platelet count was within normal range.

I honestly wish I didn't have to take this......or the strontium, for that matter. But it seems the "fear factor" of an osteoporosis diagnosis is still very much a part of my life and as I am unwilling to pursue the pharmacological route, I feel I should be doing "something"; hence, the K2 and stronium.

I think for now I'm going to take it every other day instead of daily, but will continue on strontium every night. I finally got an appointment with a new endocrinologist (mid-October) and will get his thoughts on this regime.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

There are several supplements that thin your blood like Policosanol, Glucosamine, fish oil, aspirin, etc. There are foods that are blood thinners also like grapes, red wine.

If you are taking any of the above, maybe you are balancing the thinning and thickening, if not, maybe consuming some of the above is a good idea if you are taking K2.

Consulting a holistic doc, naturopath or other professional about a balanced supplement protocol might be a good idea for all of us. My vitamin company gives their customers a free hour consult with a staff nutritionist who gives diet guidance and a written plan on when to take your vitamins and which vitamins to take at the same time. and you can call a nutritionist any time with questions without charge.

Closed Thread