It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

podiecat HB User
Anyone else get lots of hand/fingers and feet/toes cramping?

Hi, I get lots of cramping in my hands(ring finger and pinky especially) and feet (same toes affected most) even though my electrolytes seem normal. I assume it has to be from my calcium or magnesium levels being off some how even though I'm taking ezorb (4 twice daily) and plenty of magnesium.

Have any of you experienced this - and what helped?????

...... Carol

Old 09-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Anyone else get lots of hand/fingers and feet/toes cramping?

Hi. Yes, I often get some cramping in my toes. It doesn't usually last long, and I'm not overly worried about it. I'll be doing some blood tests on Sep.21 for calcium, vit d, et-al (I want to check my ranges as I'm not taking prescription meds for osteo, just supplements and exercise).

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it bothers you a lot, get some blood work done.

Hope you get your questions answered,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: I used to have that problem for years, at an early age, and on into adulthood, but it went away with magnesium, calcium and stretching exercises, then it comes back from time to time but I do the stretches below to prevent it from reoccuring.

For toe cramps, I do heel lifts. Go up on your toes, heels leaving the ground and hold for as long as comfortable and then go back down. I do these several times a day and usually do 30 reps each time in 3 different positions. First position is with toes pointed towards one another, Second position with heels together, and Third position with feet parallel. If you have any leg or feet probs you may not want to do this so you be the judge.

For leg cramps I do the runners stretch, where you put one leg in front of you with your heel on the ground and toes pointed up, push back with you butt, like your getting ready to sit, while the other leg is outstrecthed behind you foot flat on the floor. This is sort of hard to explain so look up runners stretch or hamstring stretch. You can also to hamstring stretches with a theraband, and you put the band across the arch of your foot, then gently pull your leg back towards your head while you leg is pointed towards the ceiling.

I also use horse linament on the cramps which works really good, but doesn't smeel that great. It's called Begal Oil and you can get it at a tack shop (horse/vet supply store). They also make a spray, and lotion form depending on what you prefer.

For your hands there are several you can do, but the one I like is bending your hand forward pointing down using your oposite hand to push it down, bending at the wrist. Then repeat the same thing but pointing your hand to the right and then the left, palms always facing you, pushing your hand with the opposite hand hold each for 10 seconds. You can look this up, under carpal tunnel stretch.

For fingers you can use a tennis ball or squishy ball and just squeeze the ball over and over, this is also good for the hands, fingers and wrist as is the one above where you bend your hand in 3 different positions.

Good luck, and check with your dr to make sure it isn't some other kind of vitamin deficiency or other problem.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 09-13-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I used to have leg cramps at night in bed. When I got my ferritin(iron stores)
and vit d levels out of deficiency status , the cramps stopped. When my d went low again cramps came back. I raised my d level again and no more cramps. So, I would suggest you get your vit d level and ferritin checked.
Good luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I have been going through this for weeks now. Severe cramping like shin splints, my heels aching, my toes and my pinky actually being deformed like it was dislocated. My heart racing, extreme fatigue and night sweats. I already take diogxin for the heart. I had my potassium, calcium, magnesium tested. I was drinking gatoraide but switched to tonic water. All my blood work came back normal. I was hoping the dr would do some arthritis testing, maybe testing for gout, but instead he wanted to give me the name of a good therapist as he thinks it is anxiety and he gave me prescription for drugs. I have a work injury and the w/c doctors are saying I have RSD but I still think something is off chemically. I won't give up.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Mel52- try the ferritin test and the vit d test as I mentioned above, you may get some relief. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

podiecat HB User

Thanks for all of your replies. I just had blood levels checked and nothing was way off this last time. I do have a doctor appointment next week and will check with her and let you know what she says. Do you think too much D3 can cause it?

It really irks me when your symptoms are just disregarded yet they prescribe another drug that can throw everything off even more!!!!!

May our muscles and emotions relax....... Carol

Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Why would you think it is too much d3? How much are you taking? Did you get your ferritin(iron store) checked.
Too much d3 can be checked by testing your vit d level. Talk to the doc about that if you are suspicious.

Closed Thread