It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Strontium Question

I had a nutritionist who is knowlegeable about osteoporosis look at my last Dexa scan from almost 2 years ago, left hip -2.4, right hip, -1.9, spine normal at 0. Her opinion was I can afford to wait on treatment options provded my next DEXA scan is at least the same. She said my left hip sliding from -2.2 to -2.4 in five years is not a lot of loss, and the loss that has occurred might stop since I am 6 years post-menopausal.

In addition, she said the low bone density just in my hips could be genetic, but not one woman on both sides of my family ever had a bone break, and I come from a big family with longevity on both sides, paternal grandma lived until 92 yrs. old. My mom is 78 yrs. old and she doesn't have it, we eat bascially the same diet (actually I eat healthier than she does and take more vitamis and supplements), but she is taller and stands on her feet more than me because I have back problems. I was thinking less activity since retirement (7 yrs.) and being small boned may have affected my hips, besides
estrogen loss.

Anyway, I mentioned strontium to the nutritionist and she almost bit my head off and told me not to consider it because it hasn't been tested on humans, only animals. I researched it and apparently the strontium renalate available in Europe has been tested on humans, so she must have meant the form available in the U.S. has not been. I read that onions, cabbage, and lettuce contain strontium. I was doing a daily onion already for the past few months because it raises HDL (good) cholesterol 25% in the average person.

I noticed my vitamin company is selling strontium now. along with vitamin K2 (I take K1 with magnesium), but I'm afraid to try both. I read the post from the person who said her doctor told her to take strontium with Boniva, but I read on one site that it shouldn't be combined with drugs, but if doctor's are recommending it, maybe it's the way to go.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Last edited by jacal5; 09-22-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Strontium Question

Hi Jacal5, every dr./nutrionist has their own opinions about strontium and other supplements. have you talked to your regular dr. about taking strontium? Mine knows i'm taking it altho he's not familiar with it. I take him info each time i see him. Here is an article you can pass on that states that it has been researched and tested on people here in the US. It's research based and doesn't sell anything, so i hope it makes it trhu.

[url]http://www.worldhealth.net/p/273,5736.html[/url].

Your t-scores are still in the osteopenina stage so its is good that your dr. doesn't want to start osteo drugs for now. With your good diet and an exercise program you could improve them without any of the meds. I do disagree with her about strontium...you could start taking it to increase the bone mass you already have. Try it for a year and have another DEXA to see what changes occur. You could even take 1 capsule instead of 2 since your scores are still ok. I've been taking it since August 2006 and had about a 3% increase in total hips and lumbar spine.

With your family histroy the odds are in your favor. Low bone denstiy tells us that the risk for fx is higher, but it doesn't say you will.

You're not taking taking boniva at that time are you? If not, why the concern about taking both, unless you are thinking about the future. Did you mean taking vitamin K2 with the strontium? Or 2 kinds of vitamin K? sorry i'm a bit confused. take care...phyllis

Old 09-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry, you are right to be confused, I didn't write with clarity about strontium and Vitamin K2. When another poster said that her doctor recommended strontium with Boniva I read that both should not be taken together, and I wanted to post what I researched to be informative, I do not take any drugs. My thoughts are if some doctors are prescribing strontium with or without osteo drugs, they must consider strontium safe.

My other issue is with my vitamin company's new Vitamin K product (I addressed it in my other post), I would be afraid to take it because the doses of Vitamin K seem excessive, especially since the RDA is 120 mcgs.
My dental hygenist scared me becaue she said she suffered a stroke and blamed it on Vitamin K, she didn't have any medical problems to cause a stroke, she lives holistically.

The nutritionist upset me a little because she said calcium will not help my hips, and didn't offer any alternative except mentioning Forteo.

I really don't have a doctor treating me for osteo, my gyncologist tried to push Actonel on me a few years ago when my score was -2.3. He made a special call to my house to ask me if I started the prescription! He was very surprised I was so knowledgeable about it and at that point he gave up trying to push it. I told him I would take the 50/50 chance of getting a bone break if osteoporosis develops. I have to see him Tuesday for my pap and I'm getting anxiuos thinking about having a possible confrontation. If that happens I'm going to switch docs, there are plenty of them around here.

I saw an endocrinologist a few years ago, she tested my Vitamin D, and said the level was good, she gave me a script for Actonel knowing I wasn't going to take it, but she told me I had time to wait for safer drugs, and that was it.

I'm so glad the strontium is helping you! I read the Vitamin K2 helps the hips also.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi...the link i posted isn't clickable, but if you copy it to the address line you could print it out an take it with you to your gyn appt. there are also many other good ones you could take with you. if the dr. tries to push the drugs on you just be firm and say no, tell him about strontium and present him with the artlcles. you're right, if he tries to bully you find another dr.

I don't think mega doses of any vitamin, mineral or supplement is good. First of all it could be dangerous, and secondlyly if you get big doses of certain vitamins you just pee out the excess. A good diet, multivitamin and extra calcium, magnesium and whatever else you need bit more of is sufficient.

Let me know how your appointment goes. remember..the dr. works for you, if he isn't doing the job you want...fire him. take care...phyllis

Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

What are great web-site, thanks!

The strontium article was very informative. Now I don't have any faith in anything the nutritionist told me since she said strontium wasn't tested on humans. The article states all forms have been tested, not strontium renelate exclusively.

My vitamin company carries strontium, a new product for them. The form and dose is below:

Strontium Citrate -250 mg. three times daily two hours after calcium intake on empty stomach.

I am going to get another DEXA scan in November, and if my hip bone density didn't stay the same or improve with E=zorb, better nutrition, and gym exercises, I will order the strontium. E-zorb did help my spine, my score went from -.08 to 0.

Thanks again, I'll tell you how my doc's visit goes on Tuesday, I hope he forgets about my bone density, I haven't been there in two years, I skipped last year's pap!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, i don't know which company you get your supplements from, but trying to space out 3 strontium between the calcium and on an empty stomach could get tricky. What brand is it? I take NSI strontium..2 340mg. caps taken at the same time at bedtime. take care...phyllis

Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
(female)

karin6167 HB User

When you say both can not be taken together (Strontium and Boniva) do you mean not together in the same two hour period, or do you mean if you take Strontium you should not take Boniva?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
(female)

karin6167 HB User

My doctor was the one who said to take both. He wanted to add the Strontium because he said he has done research and believes it could help and above all couldn't hurt to try. If anyone knows more on the subject please let us know.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
(female)

karin6167 HB User

I ordered mine from NSI as well and plan to take my 2 pills during the night when I get up to go to the bathroom so I can still take my calcium before going to bed. I believe it is a good idea to wait 2 or 3 hours after you ingest any form of calcium before you take the Strontium.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Karin: Could you ask your dr about this research you mentioned on taking Strontium and Boniva? I don't take either of these drugs, but I've been told that you can't take both at the same time. The reasoning behind this is that Strontium is "considered" an anabolic med and Boniva is a antiresorptive. The last time I checked there hadn't been any studies to prove the benefits of taking both. I do take Forteo (anabolic) and was told you can't take a bisphosphonate (antiresorptive/Boniva, Fosamax etc) with it simultaneously. You can take the two sequentially but not together because the antiresorptive blunts the effects of an anabolic. If there is some new research on this I would like to read it, could you let me know how to find it, by the name of the journal/date, so I can go to the library

TIA

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
(female)

karin6167 HB User

I just finished 2 years on Forteo. Before that I was using Fosomax. I understand that Fosomax and Forteo work in opposite ways and should not be taken together. One protects from breaking down the othe builds. Some doctors actually prefer to have their patients stay off fosomax for a while before starting forteo. I don't have any atricles to tell you about, just my doctor's suggestion to take both Boniva and strontium for a year and see what happens. He said he did research and that the strontium might help along with the boniva. I suppose if boniva is okay with strontium then fosomax should be also since they work in the same way. Sure would like to hear something about this all being wrong. I am not opposed to changing my mind if I can see some concrete evidence, but for now I thought I would give it a try. Haven't taken my first dose of strontium yet. Still waiting for delivery.
Karin

Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
(female)

karin6167 HB User

I was told that strontium is a trace mineral and cannot be considered anabolic. Is this incorrect?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
(female)

karin6167 HB User

Opps! sorry! I posted in the wrong place. I was told that strontium is a trace mineral and cannot be anabolic. Is this incorrect?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Karin: You are right that Strontium Citrate is a trace mineral, but according to the articles I've read, Strontium "Ranelate" is considered to have both anabolic and antiresportive properties, so I'm not sure if this also applies to the OTC Strontium or not. I don't know if there's a major difference between the two forms of it except for the ranelate/citrate portion, so I'm not sure what the answer is to this. Here's an article you could look at on the explanation of Strontium Ranelate's properties in bone architecture. Does your dr believe that the OTC version has the exact same benefits or properties that the drug does (Protelos-Strontium Ranelate)? I haven't heard a difinitive answer on this question, except in relation to taking Forteo, so maybe there is other research I've missed on this issue about taking an antiresorptive at the same time as a anabolic.

Good luck with your treatment, I hope it goes well.

Strontium ranelateóData on vertebral and nonvertebral fracture efficacy and safety: Mechanism of action
Journal Current Osteoporosis Reports
Publisher Current Medicine Group LLC
Issue Volume 4, Number 1 / March, 2006
DOI 10.1007/s11914-006-0013-6
Pages 34-39
Subject Collection Medicine
SpringerLink Date Sunday, June 03, 2007

Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
(female)

karin6167 HB User

So far what I know is that renelate is different than citrate in the way it allows strontium to be delivered. I have two other people trying to get some answers for me, and I am continuing to try to find out more on my own. Thanks for the article. I will try to get to it today. Took my first two strontiums last night. Hope to get back to you soon.
Karin

Closed Thread