It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User
AGE 50 - diagnosed with Osteoporosis

I had a bone density test last week - got the results today - I am 50 yrs. old - my results were spine - T, -3.4 and hip -3.2. I have a small frame, was a smoker up to 5 years ago - my mom had osteo. also. Does this sound normal for a 50 year old? The ob-gyn doctor put me on Fosamax 1 a week.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: AGE 50 - diagnosed with Osteoporosis

Sorry to hear that you have osteoporosis - I found out and was in shock at first. Even though women can have some bone loss due to menopause, it's not normal to have low bone density. It's too bad that when there's a family history that doctors aren't better at helping people prevent it. You might want to read the many posts about treatment options.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

starfish81 HB User

[QUOTE=taape;3229652]Even though women can have some bone loss due to menopause, it's not normal to have low bone density.QUOTE]
A couple of short months ago, I would have agreed. However, after reading "The Myth of Osteoporosis" and doing much research, I'm now thinking that, for some people, low bone density may not be as much of a problem as the pharmaceutical industry would like us to believe. If a person is of small build, maybe their density is naturally lower. It used to be that one didn't have "osteoporosis" unless a fracture had been sustained.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi,
I'm 53 and was diagonsed with Osteoporosis almost a year ago. After a lot of tests for calcium and vitamin D. The doctor put me on Forteo. I have been on that for almost 3 months now. My hips are 3.1 and he said my spine wasn't that bad. I really don't like the thought of having to take Forteo, but he said it would be best since I have such a small frame. I have never broken a bone. I just wonder if all this is even necessary. I don't like taking medication at all. I was a very happy person until I had to start taking Forteo. I feel it has changed me .

Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi BrittleD...welcome to the board. I find it intersting that you said you felt the dx and meds had changed you...you're right they have in a sense. keep in mind that you are the same person you were before the dx. Only now you have the nagging question of the "what could/would/ might or never happen " thinking. You're dr., like most, feel they have to do something if something is wrong. Right now for osteo its put the person on one of the meds available. IMO its their way of protecting themselves. If they say you don't have to take any meds and then down the road something breaks they are afraid that you'll come back and say..why didn't you do SOMETHING? In this age of malpractice its something they almost have to do. When i told my dr. i wasn't taking anymore actenol(i quit after 2 months) i assured him that if anything happened i wouldn't hold him responsible..that seemd to quiet his trying to talk me out of it. I then told him i was going to take strontium and have been educating him about since.

Your hip t-score of -3.1 says that you are 3.1% more likely to break a hip than someone with normal bone density. It doesn't say you will or ever will, just that your risk is that much higher. By taking the meds you are trying to reverse the odds and hopefully never have a fx of any kind. So with that said either taking or not taking the forteo is up to you. Your dr. can advise you, but in the end its your decison. Try not to let the dx change who you are...you can still do all things you did before the dx. Give yourself time to get used to the idea of having less than perfect bones. Do you have an an exercise routine you follow? Are you eating a healty diet with both dairy and non dairy calcium sources? There are lots of smart people here that can help you with your questions..just ask and someone will be able to help. have a good weekend..take care...phyllis

Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi Phylwill,
Thank you very much for taking the time to give me a pep talk I needed it. I do exercise 5 days a week, I just hope it's the right kind. I do Tae Bo and some light weights, so I alternate days with that.

I just worry about the side effects that Forteo can cause later on down the road in life that they don't know about since it's a new drug and it gets me a little down sometimes.

Thank you

Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

My doctor just told me results - should I have a written copy of something explaining it better? And is fosamax ok to take?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

It's always a good idea to obtain a copy of your medical records. That way you have them and can compare your progress along the way.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

The doctor said today - I went through menopause early - age 40 - so that helped the osteo along. He also told me to try either Oscal D, Caltrate D or Viactin. Anyone tried these? Which is the best with the least side effects, i.e. constipation!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
(female)

Canna HB User

Hey Lavender.. I am 55 and got osteoprosis found out a few weeks ago and yes it is depressing but then I made up my mind to get educated about it and found all kinds of info on strontium on this board so much that I purchased it. Knowledge is power and we must prevent our bones from getting worse with the right information.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
(female)

Turquoise HB User

While I'm sure all the calcium he mentioned is good, the easiest to take is Calcium citrate. All the calcium carbonates have to be taken with food to metabolize into your system while calcium citrate doesn't. The calcium carbonates are most likely to constipate you. You also need to ask him about your vitamin D levels. This is just a important to take as the Calcium. There is a wealth of infomation on vitamin D lately all good. I take calcium citrate with D and magnesium. Watch your intake of Calcium, dietary and supplemental. Too much may cause kidney stones. The recomended amount is between 1000 and 1500 mg a day depending on your age.

Did your dr. tell you any of this when you saw him? If not, you need to educate yourself as to the nature of osteoporosis and how to deal with it. Most of us on the board have done lots of research on the web as to the different treatments, diets, supplements and exercise. Check out some of the old threads because you will find out quite a bit of great information.

Good Luck
Turquoise

Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

Have you tried Fosamax? I was prescibed this also.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
(female)

sunny47 HB User
Question Re: AGE 50 - diagnosed with Osteoporosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
While I'm sure all the calcium he mentioned is good, the easiest to take is Calcium citrate. All the calcium carbonates have to be taken with food to metabolize into your system while calcium citrate doesn't. The calcium carbonates are most likely to constipate you. You also need to ask him about your vitamin D levels. This is just a important to take as the Calcium. There is a wealth of infomation on vitamin D lately all good. I take calcium citrate with D and magnesium. Watch your intake of Calcium, dietary and supplemental. Too much may cause kidney stones. The recomended amount is between 1000 and 1500 mg a day depending on your age.

Turquoise
OK - let me see if I have the straight. Calcium carbonate you take with meals (? needs acid to break down) and calcium citrate does not. My question is, I take calcium carbonate with meals but also am on Zantac to cut down on acid, therefore it sounds like it may not be doing me any good????? Also I live in south Florida so should not have any problem getting enough Vit D from sunlight - I also take the calcium that has vit D in it.

If my thinking is correct it sounds like I need to switch to calcium citrate.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I forgot to ask the doctor - but can osteo. make you hurt in your lower back?

Closed Thread