It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

Canna HB User
Milk and bone loss

Hey this is for all you old posters who have done research and have more knowledge than me.. I am researching I am new at it.. am learning.. but it is time consuming. Since I was told I have osteoporosis I have been drinking fat free milk in the morning but I have read in some articles that if you are on calcium pills you don't drink milk.. so I am confused as I thought that i would be consuming more calcium that way .... can anyone help me out????

Last edited by Canna; 11-10-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Milk and bone loss

What you need to do is look at you total calcium intake- that is from both supplements and what you consume in your food and drink. You can find information regarding calcium by doing a little research . Then you can decide how you want to get your calcium needs met. Some people want calcium needs met through what they eat and drink only- and don't want to take supplements. Others get their calcium by a combination of what they eat, drink and take in supplements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

derkin HB User

calcium isn't doing you much good if you do not take magnesium and vitamin D with it to help absorb and distribute it.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Studies shows that people who get calcium from half supplements and half food have better bone density. My friend's doc told her that calcium from milk doesn't get absorbed, and a nutritionist told me milk leaches calcium from the bones and yogurt is a better choice because it's fermented.

Last edited by jacal5; 11-11-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Canna: You've got an excellent question here, since this topic is constantly debated. I guess what it comes down to is what is best for you and which research you believe sounds the most believable or logical based on the results obtained from the various studies done on this.

I have an osteoporosis dr that believes that getting "all" of your calcium from your diet is the best way because it is more utilizable, but this is her opinion from the studies she has done at an osteo research lab. For some, getting all your calcium this way can be difficult, so adding supplements to diet is just fine. You do need to keep track of your "total" calcium intake or you could get too much, and calcium, like the others have mentioned is only 1 of the necessary vitamins and minerals you need for it to work.

I have hypercalcemia, so I have to really watch the amount I consume, but I don't drink much milk, I get all of it from other dairy and leafy greens etc. This is just a personal preference, but if you are looking for a simple way to get calcium, milk is high on that list for convenience, and the other health benefits.

I'm not one of the many that believes that milk leaches calcium from your bones, but that's not to say I'm right either. Below is a good article on this debate and a good explanation of the other benefits of milk on your body. I always thought that milk was pushed on us for it's calcium benefits for several reasons. It's thought that if you start a child out on milk they are less likely to turn to soda, and milk is also a very convenient way to get calcium. You don't have to cook it, or do much of anything except drink it so it's a very easy way to supplement into your diet.

What ever you decide on this should be based on what makes the most sense.

There are plenty of other sources of calcium that don't fall into the dairy category, but dairy products have many other healthful benefits besides building bones.

Read the link below which explains all of this much better than I can, and good luck with whatever you decide.

[url]http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium.html[/url]

Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Hmmm.....interesting! I'd never heard that about MILK leaching the bone! I have read COFFEE will do this though! (I quit drinking coffee because of this.)

Great article DesertBloom......being a vegetarian, I watch my calcium intake carefully!..........Pam

Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
(female)

Canna HB User

I also read that too much Vitamin A leaches the calcium from bones so I just gave up taking my mega vitamins as each pill contained over 4000 units of Vitamin A. This osteoporosis information is getting more confusing by the day!!! The saleslady at the nutrition store recommended them to me because of the trace minerals etc like zinc copper and manganes etc because I had OP and then when I got home and start taking them I realized how much Vitamin A is in there!!!

Last edited by Canna; 11-13-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
(female)

starfish81 HB User

Right on, Canna; I don't know what to believe any more either. This milk/soy controversy has been going on for years. My solution up until recently was to buy equal amounts of organic milk and organic soy milk, thus consuming half of each. Then there was this news item about soy products coming from "questionable" sources and the idea that soy is heavily processed etc. so now we buy only milk. Then there's that statistic about the nations that consume the most dairy have the highest rates of osteoporosis. Then there are those (which I won't name) "prominent" physicians who never feed their children anything dairy. ****, where does that leave us ?

I still believe it's best to get our nutrients from food as opposed to supplements, and the less processing the better. We try to be "localvores"; that is, to eat foods from local sources wherever possible. There's a dairy nearby that produces organic milk, so that's how I'm going to approach this. Also, I remember mentioning to my naturopath about being afraid to eat much protein because of the "leaching from the bones" issue, and his response was that, because I eat lots of veggies and fruit, that mitigates the resultant body acidity. (I go there for another prolotherapy Tx in December--must ask him his position on milk.....)

I too, have heard about excess vitamin A having a negative impact on bone so have stopped taking my multi's. I know there are those who swear that the foods we eat today do not supply the necessary nutrients and therefore a multi-vitamin is a must, but I feel that my diet is a good and balanced one, I have a wonderfully-functioning immune system, and I honestly don't think I need a multi at this stage of my life.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish81 View Post
Right on, Canna; I don't know what to believe any more either. This milk/soy controversy has been going on for years. My solution up until recently was to buy equal amounts of organic milk and organic soy milk, thus consuming half of each. Then there was this news item about soy products coming from "questionable" sources and the idea that soy is heavily processed etc. so now we buy only milk. Then there's that statistic about the nations that consume the most dairy have the highest rates of osteoporosis. Then there are those (which I won't name) "prominent" physicians who never feed their children anything dairy. ****, where does that leave us ?

I still believe it's best to get our nutrients from food as opposed to supplements, and the less processing the better. We try to be "localvores"; that is, to eat foods from local sources wherever possible. There's a dairy nearby that produces organic milk, so that's how I'm going to approach this. Also, I remember mentioning to my naturopath about being afraid to eat much protein because of the "leaching from the bones" issue, and his response was that, because I eat lots of veggies and fruit, that mitigates the resultant body acidity. (I go there for another prolotherapy Tx in December--must ask him his position on milk.....)

I too, have heard about excess vitamin A having a negative impact on bone so have stopped taking my multi's. I know there are those who swear that the foods we eat today do not supply the necessary nutrients and therefore a multi-vitamin is a must, but I feel that my diet is a good and balanced one, I have a wonderfully-functioning immune system, and I honestly don't think I need a multi at this stage of my life.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
(female)

Canna HB User

Thanks Starfish for your response. I was just wondering what prolotherapy is... please forgive me??? Also are u one of the strontium users if so any side effects when starting off?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
(female)

starfish81 HB User

Hi Canna-yes, I've been a strontium user since Sept, and absolutely no side effects .
Prolotherapy is a treatment modality for joint pain resulting from ligament/tendon sprains, laxity, or osteoarthritis. I'm getting it for both knees. I was headed for replacements in a few years as anatomically, my knees are not ideal plus I over-do exercise on a routine basis (in the name of preserving BMD, I might add ).
This Sept I did a difficult 45-mile bike ride, then went hiking the next day and had added a second weight-training class at the gym. Well, I did squats and lunges incorrectly over a few classes and basically within a couple of weeks went from "I can do most anything" to "I can't even walk down the street without knee pain".
There is a 70-yr old lady in my hiking club who had similar problems and went to a naturopath for prolotherapy. It's not just naturopaths who perform the Tx; some doctors do it too although it's not recognized by mainstream medicine. Anyway, she recommended I try it.
The Tx consists of injecting a dextrose (sugar) solution into the tendon/ligament that is painful. They go right under the kneecap and it's about 10-15 injections per knee. I must say, although the injections were excruciating, it's now 10 days post-Tx and I can now walk up & down stairs with a pain level of 1/10. I'm told it takes 4 treatments 4-6 weeks apart, and I'm hopeful I'll be skiing again after the third one !

Closed Thread