It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

Canna HB User
Strontium uses that showed improvement

Hello this is for all Strontium users: I have a few questions as I am a newbie to strontium..
1) After being on Strontium how did your BMD test differ?
2) Any side effects at all
3) Any of your freinds have the BMD test since using Strontium and if so any improvements?
4) Any more info you would like to share...your testimonials mean a lot.. thanks

Last edited by Canna; 11-14-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

Canna HB User
Re: Strontium uses that showed improvement

Come on ladies we need to know what Strontium has done so others will do the same also the other bone nutrients such as boron, copper zinc, vitK and manganese how do we get them in a supplment without high doses of Vit A thanks guys for helping me out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
(male)

PikaB HB User

Since strontium has a greater density than calcium, DEXA results overestimate the bone density of subjects taking strontium, unless the scores are adjusted, calculated from the strontium content found on bone biopsy of the patient. An "improvement" in DEXA after strontium use may actually be a loss after the score is adjusted.

Last edited by PikaB; 11-15-2007 at 03:07 AM.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Canna...good questions...

1. I had a DEXA in June after being on strontium for 9 months. I did show an improvement in both total hip and lumbar spine, but really don't know how accurate the scores are. I did as the dr. requested and stopped taking it for 30 days prior to the scan, but to my knowledge no adjustments were made. i figure if the numbers were even half right it was still a gain.

2. I have had no side effects what so ever.

3. I have one friend who just started taking it, but other than her and the ones online i don't know anyone else.

4. I tell anyone concerned about their bone density about strontium. I feel its a safer alternative to whats now available from the drug companies. There has been through testing done in Europe and is widely used there to treat osteo, with good resuls. The bottom line is finding the "right" thing for you and making a choice you can live happily with. I don't know if strontium is the right thing for everyone, but for me its what i can do for my bone density along with exercise, diet and supplements. take care...phyllis

Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

Canna HB User

thanks Phylwill that is encouraging news.. do you also take calcium, magnesium, and vitamin d and what amounts? Also do you take vitamin K

Last edited by Canna; 11-15-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

starfish81 HB User

PikaB: I've been reading your posts since late summer, and you seem to be critical of anyone who has opted to treat low BMD with anything other than pharmaceutical means. Why exactly are you on these boards...are you here on behalf of the pharmaceutical industry?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
(female)

sona HB User

Hi, Canna~

I've been taking strontium for over a year now, ever since the DEXA I had done in August 2006 showed osteoporosis in my lumbar spine and hip.

Anyway, I posted the results of the DEXA done one year later, after a year's worth of strontium (taken away from my calcium, in the middle of the night), along with EZorb calcium, and a whole host of other supps, including K2.

FYI, I had the DEXA done with technicians who were aware that I'd been taking strontium and--at least they said--adjusted for any skewing.

Here's my post, from 8/25:

Such an interesting thread! I wanted to post to it because I too have been taking strontium (in its citrate form) for 13 months now, ever since my DEXA last July came back with a DX of osteopenia in my hip and lumbar spine
(-2.0) and osteoporosis in my lateral lumbar spine (-2.6). It was a significant leap down from the bone density of the year before that, and it shocked me. I mobilized the day my MD said, "Well, you may have just won yourself a year's trial of Fosamax."

I declined with thanks, and started in with a list of supplements that would have choked a horse. Main ones were EZorb Calcium (the powder) in the AM, with all sorts of attendant minerals (magnesium, potassium, boron, zinc, silicon, etc.) in separate bottles, K2 (the menatrenetone form), cod liver oil (1 teaspoon day, 1 teaspoon evening); then, in the PM, instead of EZorb I take BoneUp (which has all the minerals in it and the calcium is in the form of microcrystalline hydroxyapatite [MCHA]). Around 8 PM I take collagen powder dissolved in liquid, with my vitamin C. And the strontium citrate I take in the middle of the night--I get up anyway for a bathroom run, so I just take it then.

I just had my follow-up bone density DEXA August 14, over a year later, and I made sure the tech knew about the strontium going in. The results were encouraging: the hip and lumbar spine went from -2.0 to -1.1 and the lateral lumbar spine went from -2.6 to -1.6. Everything is now mild osteopenia.

I've no idea why or which or when...or if it will continue to improve or revert or what. But for now, I'm well pleased with the regimen and the results, and I will continue with the strontium citrate and everything else. So I just wanted to encourage you to give the strontium citrate a good trial, to try to take it well away from any calcium or calcium-containing foods (and preferably on an empty stomach)--and if you're taking K2, to try to make sure it's the menatetrenone (not menaquinone ) form.

Hope this helps, Canna!

Best, Sona

Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Canna...glad i can help. I take a calcium supplement called EZCal 1000/D..its formulated to be taken in one daily dose, an extra 500 mg. magnesium., fish oil and a multivitamin for the over 50 crowd. I don't take extra K. just whats in the multi. I am thinking of starting extra D3 since i've read that it's good for so many different things. A person can make themselves crazy trying to take all the things that are said to be good for this or that. I stick to the basics and shy away from mega doses of anything.

Sona...i am so happy to see your results with strontium. You were fortunate to find a radiology dept. that knew about the adjustments. I called around to area hospitals and couldn't find one that had that information. One good thing that came from my taking stontium besides the improvements is a new question on the form.....Do you take strontium citrate?...when i saw that i ask if it was because of me and they said yes. I was pleased about that. Now i wonder if anyone having a DEXA there ever ask about it and if so what they are told.

take care...phyllis

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
(male)

PikaB HB User
Question Re: Pharmaceutical Industry Shill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish81 View Post
PikaB: I've been reading your posts since late summer, and you seem to be critical of anyone who has opted to treat low BMD with anything other than pharmaceutical means. Why exactly are you on these boards...are you here on behalf of the pharmaceutical industry?
Ha! Ha! Ha! That was good for a laugh.

I am on this board to share community and information, as most of us are. There was a time when I posted more frequently, but until I get my next DEXA scan I won't have more to say about my own progress (or lack thereof). An old message thread discussing my condition, therapies and progress is at [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=474686[/url]

Some non-pharmaceutical treatments for osteoporosis seem quite promising, and when my two years of Forteo is finished next March, I will decline bisphosphonates and go 100% with non-pharmaceutical treatments. In my opinion anyone diagnosed with osteopenia (and no fractures) should try non-pharmaceutical treatment. But the evidence of scientific studies should not be shrugged off lightly. If someone has severe osteoporosis, it is not likely to be reversed by simply taking calcium and doing some exercises.

I think strontium is promising, but more studies need to be done before the "non-pharmaceutical" versions can be strongly recommended. Just today I read of two patients who have been taking strontium citrate for three years, and in the past year their BMD at spine and hips has declined by more than 4%. I've also read postings by people who claim to have had adverse side effects from taking it. So it makes me uncomfortable when strontium citrate is praised as being a safe and effective treatment for osteoporosis. It may be, but we don't really know.

If people wish to believe that pharmaceutical=bad and non-pharmaceutical=good, they are free to do so. I would rather see each therapy examined objectively. If a pharmaceutical therapy seems more harmful than a non-pharmaceutical therapy, it might be because the pharmaceutical therapy has been more rigorously tested than the non-pharmaceutical therapy.

Last edited by PikaB; 11-16-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
(female)

Canna HB User

Thanks Phylwill and Sona.... I find this Osteoporosis message board a great help. Not many of my friends have OP so it is not something that I generally talk to them about .... I have found lots of useful information at this site and just to know that there are others going through the same as me helps a lot! It is also great to see some men onboard.. and interested in taking take of their bones!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
(female)

Canna HB User

I started my Strontium citrate this evening.. They are big supplements for some reason or other I was expecting smalller. So my next Bone Density test is August so the rest remains to be seen but I have postive feelings.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
(female)

flowerseeds HB User

Dear Sona,

I am interested in what you wrote for three reasons. One, that you are taking strontium citrate, as I am, also. Two, on this forum, it's the first I have heard that the X-ray tech h as to make some sort of adjustsments, if one is taking strontium?????? What do I tell the tech? Three, you say now that you have osteopenia, no longer osteoporosis. My doctor told me that once a person has osteoporosis, they will always have it. That it cannot be reversed. The holes are in one's bones, and they do not fill up. Therefore, are you sure you only have osteopenia? This is very confusing to me, because like you, I thought osteoporosis could be reversed; but apparently, it cannot. My sister says she just read or heard on tv or something, that the REMAINING bone can be strenthened, but that, like my doc said, the h oles will remain for the rest of one's life. The same h oles one has now, if one has a dx. My reading is -3.5, and I want to have another test in a couple of weeks. I have to check with Medicare, though, and see if they will pre-authorize the test.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 AM   #13
(male)

PikaB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerseeds View Post
...My doctor told me that once a person has osteoporosis, they will always have it. That it cannot be reversed. The holes are in one's bones, and they do not fill up...
It sounds like your doctor hasn't kept up with osteoporosis medical developments in many years. Perhaps you should consider finding a new doctor. There are journal articles etc. which have images from bone biopsies of patients before and after treatment with Forteo, and the holes in the bones are filling up (though not completely filled). Biopsy data from strontium ranelate also indicates the holes in bones are filling.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I just wanted to state the following:

Pika B- is the real deal . He is a person who is being treated for osteoporosis AND he is a highly valued contributor to this board.I have read his posts over this past year. Pika B, I am so glad that you post here and I look forward to your intelligent and objective postings. Thank you!!!! Please keep posting.

And,
Pika B- you indicated that when you get done with the 2 years on forteo that you will NOT do bisphosphonates. Have you made a final decision on this? What are you leaning towards taking? Have you seen any studies that strontium ranelate was successfully used after forteo? It seems all the follow up published tests focus on the bisphosphonates. I was hoping some tests would come out with the SR after forteo and judging it against the bisphosphonates. Had you thought about just doing bisphosphonates for a year and then switching to something else?? Did you read the recent JAMA article about SR? (P.S.- I am still doing the unipedal standing - so glad you posted about that!)

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
(male)

PikaB HB User
Re: Strontium etc.

osteoblast:

Thanks. I'm not aware of any studies with Forteo followed by strontium ranelate. Lilly recently completed "Teriparatide and Strontium Ranelate Head-To-Head Comparison Trial" but the results have not been released yet. I stopped checking the latest studies on osteoporosis because I felt I was getting information overload, and just want to cruise along for a while, doing what I'm doing.

Exactly what I will do when my Forteo ends in March will be decided when that time comes. I don't plan to go on bisphosphonates, but if circumstances change (particularly if I were to start having fractures) I might change my mind. If I can afford it, I will probably discontinue use of the Soloflex WBV and switch to a Juvent at that time, since the vibrations of the Juvent are very different than the Soloflex. The only alteration I've made in recent months is an increase in time spent standing; I changed my home computer setup so that I now always stand when using my home computer.

Closed Thread