It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

tomatojuice HB User
Strontium Users-Any Others with concern over new warnings for SR

Wondering what are the feelings of fellow strontium citrate user about these (what I consider quite scary) new warnings for strontium renalate? I have never had any ill side effect, so I am at this point continuing to use it, but I am somewhat concerned - and dissappointed. Seems as though there is no really safe treatment for osteo.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Strontium Users-Any Others with concern over new warnings for SR

Hi tomatojuice, i read the article and will be on the lookout for the rash, but it won't stop me from taking. I haven't had any side effects either. If i read correctly it seems to happen to people who already had other medical problems where that conditon could occur. I still feel that is a safer alternative to whats now available. Have a good day...HAPPY THNKSGIVING...Ttake care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

gypsy11 HB User

No. This is not a side effect, it's an allergic reaction. No matter what the substance, a certain number of people will be allergic to it. There isn't any food, supplement or drug out there that is 100% safe for everyone; allergic reactions are always a possibility.

Another thins to keep in mind is Protelos contains other ingredients besides strontium, and we do not know at this time what caused the allergic reaction. It could be unrelated to the strontium itself.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Gypsy: Glad you made the distinction between allergic reactions and side effects. If you read the link below it says the reaction was to strontium, not the ranelate acid portion. The other ingredients are mannitol, asparatame, and maltodextrin, so it's possible that someone could be allergic to those ingredients as well.

I'm not taking this but if I was I wouldn't be that worried since I'm aware of all allergic reactions. As you said "anything" can cause this type of reaction.

[url]http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/protelos/Protelos_Q&A_53461307en.pdf[/url]

Also click on "Product Info" in the above link.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

mbeth50 HB User

HI all,
Havent posted in awhile. Disappointed to hear some negs on strontium. However, Been on strontium citrate for about 6 weeks now and all is well. On Actonel I was so nauseous. I am just hoping for the best with this..I too think that rash was an allergic reaction for some people. This board and its members are great in keeping us all informed Thanks...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Has anyone had any stomach problem with this. Many people have problems with artificial sweetners and this appears to have a large amount. Just starting to read up on Strontium. Did read a warning about blood clots. Anyone have more info on this and are they concerned. I am really interested in an alternative to medications, most of which I cannot tolerate.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Canyondweller, i've been strontium it for over a year now and haven't had any stomach problems or any other side effects. The post below that mentions the sweetners is referring to strontium renalate, the prescrition form used in Europe and not available in the US. Strontium renalate is a powder that is mixed with water so it's sweetened to make it taste better. The supplement, strontium citrate, which is in capsule form doesn't contain any. I am aware of the blood clot potential, as well as the alergic reaction, but everything has possible risk. take care...phyllis

Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Thanks, I had only read about the liquid and figured that was the reason. I have bad stomach problems which is why I don't take the other pills but I am concerned about blood clots even though I have never had one, my Mom did which is why they didn't want to give me Evista. Obviously I need to do something since I have a compression fracture that has shown last year and this year on CT scan though I never had pain. With my emphysema this can be an even more serious event for me if I should break something like a hip. Thanks again. Do you know if the Strontium is working for you?

Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Canyondweller, i do beleive that the strontium is working for me. I had a DEXA in June that did show gains in both total hip and lumbar spine. When strontium is used there are adjustments that need to be made when the scan is read. Since strontium is not used here most radiologist do not have access to those adjustment figures, so there is no way to know the exact gains. I had an over 3% gain in both areas and feel if that improvement is even half right it still showed an improvement over my previous scan that i can build on. My advice would be to do some reaserach and find a solution that is right for you. Oh, if you ask your dr. about strontium supplements odds are that he won't be familar with it since its not a mainstream treatment for osteo ..yet. take care...phyllis

Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
(female)

starfish81 HB User

Wait a minute......I thought the only "reaction" mentioned with strontium was the possible rash (which, as one poster pointed out, sounds like an allergic response). What's this about blood clots? Did I miss something? I know the vitamin K2 that I purchased along with the strontium carries a warning about clotting factors, but was unaware that strontium could have the same thing.

Interestingly, for the past 4 days I've had mild positional vertigo, and last night and all of today I've been having heart palpitations, which I've never had before. Blood pressure is low but normal for me, and so is pulse rate. Hmmm, if strontium can interfere with clotting, can it also cause changes in heart performance? Then again, maybe this is anxiety??

Closed Thread