It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Dexa Scan Results

I received the results of my Dexa scan a few days ago, and my spine went from -.02 to -.01, and my left hip went from -2.4 to -2.3! I am really happy that my bone density improved slightly from my scan of two years ago and I didn't slide down to osteoporosis range. I can't even put into words how relieved I am that the effort I put into taking E-zorb, supplements, going to the gym, swimming, and changing my diet may have stopped my bone loss, but the biggest reason I have not incurred additional bone loss is this message board and all the great advice I have received from all of you, so thank you, thank you, thank you, I can't say it enough!!!!

Last edited by jacal5; 12-03-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Dexa Scan Results

Congratulations! Your moving in the right direction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Great news jacal5..keep up the good work, it's paying off for you. take care...phyllis

Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

tulsatime HB User

Your news is so encouraging! Thank you for all of your input Jacal.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
(female)

Clerklady HB User

jacal5,

That is wonderful news, what kind of supplements did you take and what changes in your diet did you do? I am new and prescribed fosamax and decided not to take it. Can you give me some things that helped you? I would so much appreciate any input you can give me. Keep up the good work, and God Bless you, Denise

Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Jacal-congratulations, that is excellent news. It is so great when your hard work pays off. Would it be ok to ask your age and meno status? Sometimes I think my hard work is undone by my meno status, I am 55 and about 5 yrs. post meno. . I think the hormones just are not supporting my efforts and will see a gyn. shortly to look at the hormone situation.If you are post meno- are you on any hormones?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all for the encouraging comments and your support, I am really touched. I thought about all of you when I found out my score. I was so worried the doc would tell me I had osteoporosis according to their number of less than -2.5, especially since it's been two years since my last test. At my worse, my t-scores were spine -.08, left hip -2.4. E-zorb and my other lifestyle changes bought my spine up to -.01 and hip to -2.3.

Osteoblast:

I have mentioned my age in prior posts, I was 55 yrs. old in October 2007. I have never taken hormones, or osteo drugs, the only medication I take is Ultram for pain as needed (I take it very rarely) because I have several musculo-skeletal issues including injured knees. I think if I was able to exercise more on the treadmill (go over three miles per hour) maybe my hip score would have shown more improvement, but the weight bearing kills my knees, so I concentrate on the weight machines in the gym and walk about
2 miles an hour on the treadmill when my knees don't hurt.

Clerklady:

I take E-zorb calcium because calcium citrate didn't work for me, my hip and spine scores were getting worse while on calcium citrate. I learned about E-zorb from this message board and decided to try it. I also take a magnesium/Vitamin K1 supplement at a different time than the calcium because some articles state calcium and magnesium compete for absorption.
I recently started to take 1,000 mgs. of Vitamin D3 which keeps calcium in the bones because I live in the Northeast and wont' be getting Vitamin D3 from the sun in the winter. I take zinc, Vitamin C, and a pharmaceutical grade vitamin with other trace minerals for bone health like silicon and boron.

Other supplements posters take include strontium, collagen, glucosamine, Vitamin K2.

It is recommended that an alkaline diet is best for bone health, alkaline foods are mostly fruits and veggies. Acidic foods are said to leach calcium from bones like meat, fish, grains, coffee, soda, etc. Some foods block calcium absorption like chocolate, oat bran, and they need to be eaten at a different time than calcium supplements.

There are many articles on bone health to research, and there are excellent books available like "The Bone Density Diet."

I don't blame you for not wanting to take Fosamax, I refused Actonel a few years ago.

Well I hope this info gives you guidance on where you need to start to possibly improve your bone density scores, BTW, What are your scores?

Good Luck!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Osteoblast: I am approx. 7 years post-menopausal, I never had trouble going through the changes, I had about eight hot flashes for a few minutes each the first year the changes started and that was it.

Clerklady: I forgot to tell you, eat calcium rich foods from veggies like kale, collard greens, etc. Some articles state calcium from milk isn't absorbed well,
but calcium from yogurt is more absorbable because it's fermented.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Jacal: I wanted to add my congrats as well. You're doing a great job, keep it up!!! I'm also happy that your meno seems to be uneventful no hormones...

Best of luck on the future readings...

Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
(female)

Canna HB User

Hi Jacal great that you filled us in on your last dexa scan and I encourage others to do the same. Are u on strontium.. i did not think so and I found it intersting you took magnesium away from calcium. I may try that too
Please posters do the same let us know how your dexa scan goes!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Desert Bloom and Canna. No, I don't take strontium, I posted prior to my Dexa scan that if I slid down to osteoporosis range I would try it, but since I held on for two years at -2.3, I'm going to stay the course with the supplements, exercise, and diet plan I am following, but I might increase the e-zorb from four to five tablets daily. I just started taking 1,000 mgs. of Vitamin D3 a few months ago, I only took 400 mgs. in the past, so I'm hoping that will help future readings.

I went to an osteoporosis treatment center for my scan, and the technician told me my prior scan from two years ago at local hospital should be considered fraudulent because the calculation of my score was not done properly! Although I was tested on the same type of machine the local hospital used, her comment made me think that maybe my score of -2.4 wasn't correct two years ago and I could have been -2.3 back then and really have no improvement, but even if the score stayed the same for two years I still consider it very good results for me (posters who are being scanned at local hospitals should be aware of the fact the results might not be calculated properly). She also said that only the left hip is scanned because I am right handed and the left side is the least active. Her comment told me what many posters suspected, that hip density is improved by activity. Maybe posters can improve their hip density scores more than I did with weight bearing exercise, since I have limitations due to back problems and knee injuries.

I make bone soup once a week now, and drink it everyday at lunch, with a sandwich and calcium containing veggie like kale on the side. I don't drink red wine straight any longer, I add calcium fortified orange juice to make a sangria-like drink. I've balanced my diet so if I eat or drink a calcium leecher like wine, I eat a calcium containing food at the same time.

Thanks again to all for your encouragement and support!!!

Last edited by jacal5; 12-07-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Jacal5...can you post the recipe for bone soup? I don't know if your a coffee drinker, but i've read that if you add a splash of milk to the coffee it balances out the acid in it. take care...phyllis

Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Phylwill,

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning with fat-free milk or fat-free half and half, but i noticed the half and half contains no calcium, it contains not much of anything, I don't get it.

I buy organic chicken legs in the package at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for less than $3.00, and put them in a pot with water and add a few tablespoons of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother (it doesn't turn acidic in the body). The vinegar is supposed to draw the calcium out of the bone. I add chunks of onions (they contain strontium), and whatever leftover veggies I have in the fridge like carrots, celery, scallion tips, etc. I don't add salt or any other spices because my mom drinks the soup and doesn't like them. I bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer all morning for about four hours, take it out of the pot, skim off the fat, and drink it for lunch, and then save the leftovers.

I made a soup last week from the leftover ham bone from Thanksgiving and threw white beans in the pot, along with other veggies, it was very tasty. I only buy beans that contain 6% calcium now.

I read that the soup can be made with the meat on or off the bone, and it can be simmered for several hours, even up to 24 hrs! I usually leave the meat on, and I don't know if longer simmering time gets more calcium out of the bone.

When you add the veggies leave them in big pieces so it will be easier to skim the fat from the top.

Good luck with your soup!

Last edited by jacal5; 12-07-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks jacal...I make soup quite often during the winter and like you cook the bones with the soup. I made a mushroom barley bean soup for supper last night that came out really good. I have a bottle of braggs cider vinegar/ mother that i'll start adding to soup with bones. thanks for the tip. take care...phyllis

Closed Thread