It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Acid free coffee...

My neighbor told me about this so i looked it up to pass to all the coffee drinkers here. This is a recipe for taking the acid out of regular coffee making it more bone friendly...take care...phyllis

Here is a simple, low-tech way to make an acid-free coffee without buying an expensive cold-water coffee maker. Add one pound of fresh ground, organic coffee to eight cups water in a glass bowl. Naturally, you can halve or quarter this recipe. Place the mixture in a cool, dark closet and allow to soak for about 16 hours. Filter off the liquid extract through a coffee or fabric filter into a glass jar that can be tightly sealed. The extract is highly concentrated, so that two tablespoons added to eight ounces of hot water will yield a cup of mellow, de-acidified coffee.

Stored in the refrigerator in a sealed jar, this extract will keep for a couple of weeks. If de-acidified coffee is taken in daily, one cup amounts, a robust, healthy person should experience no problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
(female)

Myth HB User
Re: Acid free coffee...

thank you for that recipe phylis , acidic foods are indeed not good for bones but its actually caffeine that leaches minerals from bones.
caffeine is hidden in a lot of foods like chocolate, tea ,coffee, sodas etc etc
all the good stuff we like to consume
wish there was a recipe for effectively removing caffeine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Myth...well, there's decaf coffee and tea. I guess that recipe would work with ground decaf too. I have a couple of cups of coffee each morning with milk added and then switch to water, decaf or herbal teas thru the day. I'm lucky that i never have been a soda drinker and not a big chocolate fan either, yes, i know thats not normal. If i do eat chocolate its the darkest i can find.

Have you ever noticed that when food studies are done they are done with rats or mice who are given mega doses for their size for very long periods of time? A mega dose of anything would cause something to happen. I know some people do have to avoid certain foods, but for the rest of us...everything in moderation. A person could go nuts trying to eat all the right things all the time. take care...phyllis

Old 12-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

Myth HB User

hi Phylis
you are not alone , its a rare occasion that I have soda or chocolate although dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you, something about antioxidants and I only drink decaf tea. but when I do eat anything with caffeine I really notice a huge boost in energy & it often keeps me awake,
thats because Im not used to it and if you consume anything regularly you either build up resistance to it or an allergy to it.
I wonder if they take that into consideration when doing studies on rats/mice since rats are resistant to so many poisons that would kill a human.....

Myth

Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Myth...this morning when i made my cup of coffee i added blackstrap molasses and fat free half and half (which has 4% calcium, i checked) to it. The molasses give it a gingerbread taste, extra calcium and iron.

My favorte chocolate is made by Endangered Species..its called a Bat Bar, made with i think 70% cocoa and has bits of ground cocoa bean in it. I buy one and make it last as long as possible, which for me can be over a month. have a good weekend...take care..phyllis

Closed Thread