It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
(male)

Todd500 HB User
Natural Supplements for Osteo

Recently came across this board, looks like lots of useful info. I'm looking at the possibility of being put on Fosamax. After doing some research on this medication, some of the side effects seem alarming. Has anyone had luck with other more natural approaches such as Strontium Citrate? I've recently ordered some up and would appreciate some feedback. I know it states not to take with other calcium supplements as the two compete for absorption. For those of you that take this supplement, which time of day has worked best for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Natural Supplements for Osteo

Hi Todd, welcome to the board...I've been strontium citrate for over a year and have shown imporvement in both total hip and lumbar spine without any side effects. I take the strontium at bedtime on an empty stomach, at least 2 or more hours after eating. You could also take it early in the morning a couple of hours before eating. If you get up during the night that could also be a time to take it. After a while you'll find the best time for you. Most of us take it at bedtime though. The key is to allow a couple of hours for it to absorb. There are several people on this board using it so you'll get good advice. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

bradtreed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi Todd, welcome to the board...I've been strontium citrate for over a year and have shown imporvement in both total hip and lumbar spine without any side effects. I take the strontium at bedtime on an empty stomach, at least 2 or more hours after eating. You could also take it early in the morning a couple of hours before eating. If you get up during the night that could also be a time to take it. After a while you'll find the best time for you. Most of us take it at bedtime though. The key is to allow a couple of hours for it to absorb. There are several people on this board using it so you'll get good advice. take care...phyllis
Hi, I just joined this board and have also just started taking strontium citrate; you said you have improved BMD; do you have numbers? I am so very concerned and need some encouragement. I am -3.1 in all areas.
Thanks!
Marilyn

Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Marilyn, welcome to the board. I had a 3.5% increase in both total hip and lumbar spine after one year. Please keep in mind that these scores are not 100% accurate. When strontium is taken it affects the reading of a DEXA scan. Since strontium is not widely used here most labs do not have access to the adjustment figures that would give an accurate reading. You get an overestimate of the actual improvements. I figure if even half of the 3.5% is accurate that still shows an improvement from the first DEXA i had. Sorry i can't be more exact. I feel the stronium is helping, along with exercise, supplements, calicum rich foods and keeping it all in perspcetive. i recommend the book The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson to everyone whoes new to osteo. its give a different point of view on osteo than many of the other good books availabe. Lastly, don't make yourself crazy over this..you are the same person you've always been and can do same things you did before. If you have anymore questions please ask..there are many well informed people here who can help. Merry Christmas..take care..phyllis

Old 12-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

bradtreed HB User

Thanks so much. I will get the book. I have been following some of the recommendations in Susan Weeds book on menopause but there's not enough there specifically on osteoporosis. and I know what you mean; it's easy to think that osteoporosis is all I am; that I am defective now. I am still me.... thanks.
Marilyn

Old 12-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi bradtweed and todd. I've been taking strontium citrate now for probably a little over year and half. Won't know how its been working til sometime this year when I get my dexa done. Will definately post the outcome. I, like most everyone was very upset when I first learned I had osteoporosis. Was told my hips were okay,but my spine was -3. I immediately began reading evrything I could find on the subject(library books and online). At first I was afraid literally to continue moving in the normal ways. Then I began to exercise(with light weights), and started a regimen of walking everyday. I now walk(with the help of walking dvds) at least 24 miles weekly. I was walking even more than that-but had to cut back abit-because of a problem with one of my arches. I guess what I want to say is, because of exercise I feel better than ever. When I started I had sleep problems. I was averaging nightly about 4-5 hours. Now I sleep 8 hrs every night. Also I live in a 5 flight walkup. The stairs were getting a little difficult for me. Now I could run up with no problem. So in a sense osteo changed my life for the better. Also my diet is better. Well remains to be seen how all this has effected my bones. Truthfully I would be content-more than content if my dexa stays the same. I run, dance, jump around, bend to pick things up, carry grocery-pretty much live just as before knowing I had this. I just take my strontium citrate evry night, take my calcium spaced out through the day, take amulti, omega 3,eat more calcium foods-yogurt & cheese-get enough protein and eat way more greens-broccoli and spinach.Add a little blackstrap molasses to my yogurt for calcium. I feel I'm doing evrything I prettymuch can to fight this. From what I have read about the biosphosphates (fosomax and actonel) I don't think I could take them. I will never say never though-because it would depend I guess on how low my numbers were on the dexa. You don't hear much from the people who have been helped by these drugs, but there must be some.(I guess!)Oh well didn't mean to go on so-hope something of what I said is of help to someone

Closed Thread