It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

MojoZane HB User
New here and have questions. Does anyone have osteo just in the hips?

Hello, Everyone.

I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am 43 years old. I have osteopenia in my spine, but osteoporosis in both hips. Does anyone else have it just in their hips? Does anyone know good exercises to build bone particularly in the hips? The doctor wants me to treat it aggressively and go on Forteo, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go, particularly since I've read that Forteo builds bone in the spine, but is has little effects on BMD in the hips.

Aside from the black box warning and side effects of Forteo, I would also have to have a plan for after Forteo. I would have to go on a biphosphenate after the 2 years of treatment and it seems many/most have blood clots as a possible side effect. I know Evista does in the deep veins, but I thought most others did as well. The doc tells me no, just Evista. Does anyone know which is true? It's hugely important since I have a family history of fatal blood clots.

I have been reading on here about strontium, EZORB and vitamin K2, but don't know enough about any of them yet to know if I should try any of them. I am very concerned about having osteo in my hips and all that could entail. It is imperative to strengthen my bones before menopause, but I am not sure what to do. I have 3 young children to keep up with, my youngest being 5, so I cannot have old lady bones or have to be careful about everything I do.

I would like to hear any advice on exercise, supplements, drugs, etc., that anyone wants to offer, and I'd also like to know if anyone else has osteo just in their hips. From what I've read, it seems most people tend to have lower scores in their spine than their hips, not vice versa like me.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: New here and have questions. Does anyone have osteo just in the hips?

Hi MojoZane, welcome to the board. There are many here who can advise you about the forteo and other osteo meds. I can help with strontium questions as can several others here. You're pretty well covered for getting lots of good help. With 3 kids you probably get plenty of exercise, which is very important for helping your bones. You want to do weight bearing exercises like jogging, walking, stair climbing, anything that you do standing up. Bike riding is great aerobic exercise, but doesn't help the bones. You'll also want to start weight training. It's the pull of muscle agaisnt bone that makes the bones stronger. Try to eat a diet rich in calcium..both from low fat dairy and non dairy sources like dark green veggies, beans, ect). Supplements are also helpful. I take caclium, extra magnesium, D3, fish oil, and an over 50 multivitamin. Some others are also taking K2 and some others.

Keep active and keep doing the things you enjoy. Just because your bone density isn't perfect, it doesn't mean that you will have a fracture now or in the future, just that your risk is higher than someone with normal density. And being so young you ahve time to make the changes needed to keep your bones healthy and strong. There is a difference between bone density and bone strength. While my density isn't what it used to be, i know thru my efforts that i have strong bones. I've had some dandy bruises, but have never broken anything. I have 2 purple toes now from stubbing them on the futon..another lesson..it doesn't pay to hurry.

Next i'd like to reccomend that you do some reseach on your own about osteo and to include the book The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gilliian Sanson. It has lots of good useful info in it and also goes a long way to aleve the fear of having osteo. This book has helped many of us come to terms with having osteo. My osteo is in my lumbar spine. take care...phyllis

Old 01-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Mojo: Welcome to the board!!! Phyllis has given you excellent advise on exercise, nutrition, and vitamins and I can't think of anything to add since she was so woderfully thorough. I personally haven't read the book she mentioned but hear it is very good, especially for helping to cope with your dx, and I'm sure it has many other good ideas on dealing with this prob.

I have osteo in both my hips and spine and have been on forteo for 19 mos and have had wonderful results in both hip and spine. Remember with the black box warning, they gave the rats 3-60 times the human dose for their entire life and these rats are predisposed to bone cancer anyway. Humans can only take it for 2 year. In the follow up study by Lily, the rats that were given the human dose (20mcgs) "did not get cancer." If you were to decide to take forteo, you would have to switch to another bone med after the 2 years to maintain any gains you may have made, and you're right Evista "can" cause blood clots. I've never heard of bisphosphonates causing this problem, so you'll have to do some reading on that.

Do you know what your t-score is? If not call the dr and ask for a copy of the test and while on the phone ask for you hip # since it will give us a better idea why they want to put you on forteo. Usually they don't give forteo to premeno patients unless they have had a fracture, or there is some other prob they need to deal with, or a real low t-score like -3.0 or worse. The few I've talked to that take forteo premeno have really low t-scores or had a fx, so get that info so you'll have it for future reference. Are you planning on having any more children? Forteo is contraindicated for pregnant women.

Here are some links you can read about forteo and osteo, and do as much research as you can...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Forteo:

[url]http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/DEAL703.PDF#search=%22forteo%20and%20ost eosarcoma%22[/url]

Osteoporosis Info from the Univ of WA:

[url]http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmd.html#WHO[/url]

Home Page on Osteo Univ WA:

[url]http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/index.html[/url]

Understanding Remodeling Univ WA:

[url]http://depts.washington.edu/bonebio/ASBMRed/growth.html[/url]

Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

MojoZane HB User
Unhappy Re: New here and have questions. Does anyone have osteo just in the hips?

Thank you for the advice/responses! I have 3 books from the library to read, including the osteoporosis myth one. I had not heard about strontium or K2 until coming to this board, or EZORB, so not familiar with any of that. I was diagnosed with osteopenia 3 years ago, but was told that if I have periods I have estrogen, take calcium and don't worry about it. I wanted to be more proactive than that and have the doc consider putting me on a bone-retaining drug then, but was told again not to worry about it. Normally I would've researched and pushed, but my dad was dying at the time and my siblings and I were his full-time caregivers taking shifts every 2-3 days, which was nearly a 200-mile round trip for me every couple of days, so all my focus and energy went there.

So for 3 years I have taken 1800 mg of calcium carbonate per day plus vitamin D and magnesium.

I cannot remember what my T-scores were at that time, and my recent DEXA was on a different machine, so not sure if comparison would really matter that much.

I just got the T-scores in the mail today. My lumbar spine is -1.77, left hip is -2.57, and right hip -2.16, so I have osteopenia in my spine and right hip according to the report and osteoporosis in my left hip, not both hips as I was told. I'm not sure this warrants Forteo, though I am meeting with the Forteo nurse on Friday for more information. I have been reading on it and have found several places that have said it is good for building bone in spine, but has little effect on hips. So I am wondering how many people have had improvement in their hips with it.

At this point, I am leaning toward maybe trying the EZORB and want to find out more about the K2 and strontium. And though I have 3 kids, I am really a fairly sedentary person because I work at a desk all day and have had knee problems since age 12. So all the things I have done all these years to protect my knees are the exact opposite of things I should've been doing to protect my bones, but I didn't know/realize that.

So I am considering maybe trying some of these supplements people have mentioned here, in addition to starting a weight/strength training program and forcing myself to exercise and be more active. Then get another scan in a year and if it's no better or has gotten worse, then consider the Forteo (and hopefully the patch will be available by then!).

I don't know what are the best brands of these supplements or where to get them, or the best exercises for strengthening hip bones. I'm trying to research everything I can, but have been distracted because my 10-year-old son was diagnosed with Crohn's disease last week right after I got the osteoporosis diagnosis, so all my focus has been on researching that and the latest treatments, trying to get his medication adjusted so he can get back in school, etc. It's been a stressful start to the new year!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
(female)

peppurr HB User

MojoZane - Welcome to the board!!
First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your son. Poor you...and him!

Seeing your scores - you are only slightly into the Osteoporosis with one hip. I have osteoporosis in the spine -2.8.
The doctor put me on Fosamax and I could only deal with that for 3 months. I have decided, at this point, to deal with it by exercizing, diet, ca/magnesium, vit D supplements and strontium citrate.

If I were you, I would forego the forteo at this point and any other pharmaceutical drug and take supplements as well as doing a heck of a lot of walking. This is not a dawdle walk either - a brisk walk for an hour at least 3 times a week. I do this every 2nd day. Since you seem to be under a lot of stress these days, walking will do you good mentally as well. When you walk look straight ahead and pull your tummy in. I walk with a small backpack on my back containing a 5 pound weight.

1800 of calcium a day sounds too high. You don't want to overdo that because you'll be at risk for kidney stones. 1500 is the recommended dosage which includes food and supplements.

I also attend a pilates class for osteoporosis through my physio therapy clinic.

Last edited by peppurr; 01-16-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
(female)

MojoZane HB User

Thanks for the help! Where do you get strontium? I've not heard of that, the EZORB, or the K2 before finding this board, so have no clue on any of them. I don't plan to do Forteo for now. I'm not at all convinced about it, plus I can't take the chance of side effects for myself with my son needing me so much right now. He's been very ill this week, likely as a reaction to the medication, so we are starting him on a new one tomorrow. Here's hoping this one is better and we can get him back to school so I can find some time for myself to start exercising!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi MojoZane...i sure hope your son is feeling better by now. Its no fun at for him to be sick or for you either. I order strontium online, so far i haven't been able to find it in any kind of store. I the one i get is NSI strontium. It reasonably priced and since I've had improvements in both total hip and lumbar spine i know its working for me.

In one of you other post you ask about exercise...the best thing would be to see a trainer or physical therapist familiar with osteo for advice if possible or do an an online search for osteo exercises. There are plenty of sites that can give you an idea of what to do and not do. I pretty much do what i want but do avoid bending at the waist and big twisting movements. I too am a big believer in the power of a good brisk walk. Like peppurr said it good for both the body and head. I'd like to add to her advice of tummy pulled in...also pull your shoulders back slightly...it set the spine in good alignment. I use walking poles, they take some strain off the ankle, knee and hip joints, keep you arms in a good postion and posture nice and straight.

Keep us posted on how your son is doing. And how you are. have a good weekend. take care..phyllis

Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Mojosane....I have osteoporosis or -3.5 in my hips only and
my spine is a +4.0. I went on fosamax since i was looking at
a hip resurfacing surgery in the near future and i am 62 and
postmenopausal with severe osteoporosis in both hips...a surgeon's nightmare!!!!! It did in two years on fosamax come
up to -2.5 and he was reluctant to perform the resurface but since i had danced for years, he felt i had good bone integrity.
There are two components to bone structure integrity and bone density....so the doc needs to look at both...he wanted me to stay on them after surgery for awhile to avoide fracture and i did but i have taken myself off. I had not problems with the meds.....i just do not like the idea of taking this stuff.
I will have another test this month and see what is up...i
dance jazz again and the surgery was successful and i take
calcium, vitamin D and mag. and zinc and an antioxidant
every Day and dance....hope that does the trick Karen

Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
(female)

MojoZane HB User

Thanks so much for the info. Legallyblondied, did the doc have any idea why/how you could have such bad hips and such a great spine? It just seems unusual to me. I will try the strontium, thank you, had no idea where to buy it. Any side effects to watch for?

I am so busy with my son's newly diagnosed Crohn's and all that entails I have little time to research my own stuff right now. I will look into ordering the strontium. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get reliable K2 that was mentioned on here, as well as EZORB, and is it okay to take all 3 at the same time. Any side effects with any of them? I can't afford to have anything mess me up with my son needing me so much right now. PMS is bad enough these days!

Thank you!

Closed Thread